Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project for 2021 -- Week 41

Week 37 is now history, and although I shot some turtles and a bird or two, mostly I focused on the beautiful yellow roses I'd gotten at the store one day....

Yellow Rose.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glowing in the Sunlight.jpeg

Coming to the Point.jpeg

Soaking Up the Sunshine.jpeg

Joyful Yellow Rose.jpeg

Bonus image:
I also had some fun playing with the tiny little white flowers which added a decorative element to the bouquet of roses:

V Is For Victory.jpeg

Thanks, Klaus! On the condominium property we have some roses which seem to be very hardy and bloom at different times of the year, including even during the colder weather, which surprises me, but these yellow roses were some which I spotted at the grocery store and which looked so lovely and fresh and colorful that I just couldn't resist bringing them home with me. They are still going pretty strong nearly a week later, but a few of them have shown signs of fading so I know they won't be with me too much longer. I've enjoyed their beauty and their delightful scent throughout this past week, though!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Ohhhh...your flower photography is top notch, Connie. Between the colors and the textures...I just love them!!

Another week has passed -- summer is slowly slipping away as we head into autumn. However, Week 36 still has a summery feel with some things still blooming and the wildlife enjoying the lake:

This enterprising turtle found himself a new place to bask in the sun as the fountain sparkled and cast water nearby! He's on either a pipe that extends to the fountain or a limb that is partly submerged in the water:

View attachment 1689093

One day I liked the way the light was hitting this sunflower as it gazed out the kitchen window, so I grabbed the iPhone and fired away:

View attachment 1689094

I was walking on the pier and a couple of geese came swimming from underneath -- a great opportunity for a really closeup view!

View attachment 1689095

This lens is truly magical the way it renders colors, turning the mundane into something beautiful:

View attachment 1689096

Labor Day has passed and the end of the outdoor swimming pool season has passed as well.....soon the furniture will be put away and the pool covered with a protective tarp:

View attachment 1689097

Turtle pic - :D

I like that sunflower photo.

Week 37 is now history, and although I shot some turtles and a bird or two, mostly I focused on the beautiful yellow roses I'd gotten at the store one day....

View attachment 1689380

View attachment 1689381

View attachment 1689383

View attachment 1689385

View attachment 1689386

Bonus image:
I also had some fun playing with the tiny little white flowers which added a decorative element to the bouquet of roses:

View attachment 1689384

Wonderful rose photos.

Week 38's "theme," if you will, is "what is that?" LOL!

Casting Shadows.jpeg

Colorful Reflections.jpeg

Spraying and Splashing.jpeg

Orange Delightfulness.jpeg

...And a bonus: we all know what this is -- an eye-to-eye greeting with a squirrel friend:

Eye-To -Eye With A Squirrel Friend.jpeg

Thanks, Gordon! This past summer there has been some work going on in the common grounds and so the squirrels have been making themselves scarce. This little guy was the first one I'd seen in weeks. Unfortunately now the next big project will be ripping up our asphalt trail that goes from the boardwalk partly around the lake and again access to it with equipment will be via the common grounds, so again the squirrels will be hesitant to hang out there. Hopefully once that's done they'll be back again, just in time to start collecting, storing and consuming nuts for the winter ahead!

Week 39 ready to roll out the door! I had another delightful afternoon at Green Spring Gardens, so this week's theme is around that.

They have an amazing variety of flowers and plantings, many of which I can't identify and unfortunately they don't provide helpful signage, but it is still just wonderful to see and often enjoy the scent of these gifts from Mother Nature....

While we often think of flowers and plants as being soft and gentle, occasionally the visitor runs across one which is downright spiky and sharp:

Sharp.jpeg

Or they attract things which sting:

Bee in a Flower.jpeg

Sometimes they come in pairs which echo each other:

Echoes.jpeg

I was surprised to find that they have fruit trees on the property, too, and took shots of that. I think this little guy is a Jujube, but am not sure:

Jujube.jpeg

Orange Power!!

Orange Power.jpeg

In the round:

Rounds.jpeg

I really like the second photo - wonderful colors and the bee adds to the interest.

Got so wrapped up in the Octoberfest project I almost forgot to pull together some images that I shot for Week 40 in the 52 Weeks project!!

Patterns.jpeg

An Unexpected Touch of Orange Near the Lake.jpeg

Petals.jpeg

Shot for the Octoberfest project, but another image won the distinction of being featured there, so this one gets to be included here!

Spiky Leader of the Pack.jpeg

This last one is fresh out of the camera today, as after I'd shot with the 20mm f/1.8 for the Octoberfest project I decided to get out my beloved 90mm macro and play with the subject some more....

Layers.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice - grabbing the colors before they go for the season?

It is easy to forget other stuff when doing the O'Fest, it can be a bit time-consuming. Not sure if I'm going to have anything other than O'Fest stuff for my monthly. I think I will, as I'm starting to roam better and I have some plans for the rest of the month.

Thank you, Gordon! Yes, it's easy to forget other stuff when doing the Octoberfest but I've been making a conscious effort to get out with other lenses and shoot, too, when possible, since I've always had the impression that it's not too cool to cross-post images on here, whether between projects or other threads. Often I may not have another image or two that I shot for Octoberfest beyond the submitted one that I can then use in my 52 Weeks project. The cross-posting thing used to be frowned upon, but things may have changed now and I may be wrong on that, though. Probably this would be a good thing to clarify, especially for those of us who are involved in doing other special projects. Aside from that, though, I just can't not use my beloved 90mm macro and my beloved 100-400mm lenses for an entire month! Both of them are too dear to me, I just love using them. Since neither of them is included in the Octoberfest project, I use them outside of it and that keeps me happy.

Octoberfest in and of itself, being a daily project, is definitely time-consuming, especially when something doesn't come readily to mind to shoot, or when I know that what I'd like to shoot would work better with a lens other than the three I specified for that project. Of course what also makes it more time-consuming for me is that I'm afflicted by an unfortunate trait of perfectionism which rears its ugly head in situations like this, which can hamper my progress, especially as I am not particularly technically skilled either in photography itself or in editing the images afterward. Today was certainly a prime example of that kind of situation!

I am so, so hoping that our weather clears up pretty soon, too, as that has been another factor in this, too. It has just not been too pleasant to go outdoors and shoot, and also since this has been a holiday weekend, I preferred to stay at home rather than going out somewhere. An advantage of being retired is being able to go places and do errands, etc., during the weekdays when most other people are at work! I like it that way. I definitely do need to emerge from my cocoon, though, and find something new and interesting to shoot away from home!

Yeah, it is nice getting stuff done without having to try and cram it all into a Saturday.

I understand the cocoon thing - between health issues and the covid I haven't been anywhere to do much other than medical stuff and food shopping for quite a while. If things work out, I'll be getting out to at least one state park, a national conservation area, a national park, a private cavern, an aviation museum, and one or two scenic towns.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom