Critique Connie's (Clix Pix) 52 Week Project for 2021 ---- WEEK 52!!!!!!! This Project and Another Year Wrapped Up and Completed!

Starting off a brand-new 52 Weeks Project for 2021 since I so much enjoyed doing the just-completed one in 2020. I learned a lot throughout 2020 and in 2021 am looking forward to exploring even more with my camera and continuing to work on my post-processing and editing skills. Undoubtedly 2021 will bring new and interesting challenges and subjects!

I will be using my Sony A7R IV with various lenses and in addition my Sony RX10 IV ("bridge" camera) and my RX100 VII small travel camera. From time to time I'll also be pressing the iPhone into service as well. Whatever is at hand when I'm ready to shoot....

Last edited:
.....And here we go!!!! Week 1 of our brand-new year! This time I am going to try to only post from 3-5 images each week because last year I got a little carried away...... Although I don't usually have a specific theme in mind, I noticed after making my choices this time, that it's pretty clear -- Colorful!

Do you see a little man with a red visor, arms in position for steering or driving?

Do You See a Little Man With a Red Visor, Arms in Positiion for Driving?.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not as skilled at shooting bottles and glass as Mike Buckley, but I couldn't resist engaging this bottle in a photo session a day or two after the contents had been savored and enjoyed! This was a delicious, delightful Keller-Pils, a Pilsner, a gift from a good friend in Germany, worthy of special treatment!

Appreciating the Bottle After the Beer is Gone.JPG

One afternoon just puttering around I played with my brass Rubik's Cube:

Brassy.jpg

Another day I was experimenting with something and this is what resulted:

Streaks of Light.jpeg

Last, but certainly not least, is this, which I shot while trying to come up with something for Lyndee's "Negative Space" CS! :)

Buttons.jpeg

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Well Connie,
it's fantastic start with excellent pictures.
The "little man" is funny - a great idea.

Kind regards
Klaus

I decided I am hooked on the whole thing so am doing it again this year..... I am still amazed at myself that I actually did complete all of 2020, as when I started out a year ago I wasn't sure that I would. It keeps me off the streets, happy and busy with either thinking about what I'll shoot, actually shooting the photos, or processing/editing the photos and lastly, sharing them! It really IS a time commitment, though, but I appreciate the flexibility of having a week's time frame within which to work -- doing a 365 POTD was just too much for me. With this, some days I'll shoot nothing or maybe just a photo or two for the heck of it, other days I'll really get into it, spending a fair amount of time on it, especially if I'm shooting the wildlife or doing a tabletop setup.

Here we go with Week 2 ready for public consumption! Again, there is a sort of theme -- didn't plan it this way, it just happened!

Remember back a few months ago when I got a photo of a female Belted Kingfisher? Well, much to my delight and surprise I saw her again -- and this time she was a lot closer and easier to shoot! She came zipping past while I was shooting the Hooded Mergansers and I saw her land on the chains between the posts on our pier, so immediately swung the camera in her direction, zoomed, shot......

Belted Kingfisher (Female).jpeg

A couple of days this past week the lake was partly iced-over, and the geese really had some challenges navigating their way around the ice floes! Sometimes the ice was lurking just beneath the water, too, as it continued to melt. I felt sorry for these guys!

Oops, We've Hit Ice Here!.jpeg

One afternoon as I was returning from running errands, I spotted something on the doorstep: another of my feathered friends had left me a lovely gift:

Feather Light.jpeg

I had fun with this feather, trying different approaches:

Feathery.jpg

Last edited:
I have some catching up to do, looking forward to following your thread.

Week 1 - neat set, colorful as you said. Cool Rubik's Cube - never seen one in brass before. And I may or may not have used a large number of those bottles in Germany decades ago. :shifty:

Week 2 - nice catch with the Kingfisher. Cool work with that feather, I like that last shot.

Thanks, Gordo! I don't recall now where I got that brass Rubik's Cube -- definitely more of an ornamental item than a really challenging one like the actual one I also have! Although time has passed, I've still got that wonderful brown bottle and its cute little cap sitting around here. The beer was delicious, and definitely a trip to Germany for me would involve some time in tasting and enjoying the beers around that country! Good stuff they have there.....

I was really surprised to see that Belted Kingfisher gal last week.....and guess what, she'll be making another appearance when I get ready to post the images for Week 3, as today she once again alighted on the pier and this time I swear she really posed for me! Kingfishers are hard to spot and to actually be able to see one and photograph her twice within just over a week's time is pretty amazing. I've named her "Regina." :)

I had fun photographing that feather, a lovely little gift from one of my feathered friends..... I used a couple of different lenses on it and then continued experimenting; at one point I had the bright idea to hold it right up to the light source and that last image is what resulted......

I'm looking forward to another year of discovering and shooting interesting subjects each week and sharing them here.....

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Oh my gosh, Connie - those images are amazing! Wowww!! I absolutely love all of them and you truly started off with a bang. Those colors really pop! Well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing new images from you each week!

Thanks, Lyndee! Having had last year's experience under my belt, I was raring to go once 2021 started, too! I really enjoy this kind of project!

That said, so far in the middle of Week 3 I haven't achieved that "perfect" shot yet or one which really excites me, and of course it has been a busy week with some distractions, especially since I spent most of yesterday glued to the television watching the live inaugural broadcast. Even though I live here in the DC area there is no way I'd ever go downtown for one of those and of course this year it really wasn't possible anyway. Today I was out of the house for a while -- whee, different scenery from my four walls! -- and among other things got my first dose of the COVID-19 Moderna vaccine. Dang, shoulda gotten a shot of the hyperdermic syringe with its needle attached and the vaccine ready to enter my arm..... Wow, a missed opportunity. Oops, too late now!

Still a couple days left for some shooting before I do my usual Sunday compilation..... That's one reason I like this weekly project so much, the flexibility of it!

Week 3 is ready to share..... This was really a week for the birds!

I was delighted one morning as I was preparing my coffee to look out the window and see Alfred standing on the rail of the community clubhouse deck. I promptly grabbed a camera and ran out to my deck to begin firing away.....

Alfred Gazing To his Left.jpeg

Another day I watched the crowd of geese milling around on the lake, and this one guy had apparently found something to eat, as he kept dipping his beak in-and-out of the water:

Drippy Goose 2 B&W.jpeg

While the gang was out there, a few more geese decided to join them, and this guy sure made a splashy entrance:

Making a Splashy Landing.jpeg

Ah, but the real surprise of the week was when the female Kingfisher showed up again -- wow, second viewing of her within a week! I got a few shots of her standing on the same chain she'd been on before, then since it seemed that she was going to stick around a while, I quickly put the 100-400 with 1.4x TC on the A7R IV and went back out for some more captures of her. She must've sensed that I'd brought out the big artillery and obligingly went from the chain to pose for me on top of one of the posts on the pier!

Regina Poses on the Post.jpeg

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Those are awesome, Connie! You shoot birds really well, and you are so fortunate to have such a variety near you that you can photograph. I tell you, I think I’m living in the wrong state, LOL! Well done!

Thanks, Lyndee! I am so lucky to live where I do with these great feathered subjects right outside my door! I do enjoy watching them as well as taking photos of them, and I've come a way in improving my skills, but still am not in the category of Randy or Wade or some of our other masterful bird shooters here. Also still haven't had much luck with BIF, a whole other skill set! To me, Mecca for bird shooters is Florida and that's the place to live if one wants to be surrounded by all species of wonderful water birds!

Latest threads

Top Bottom