Consecutive file numbering with multiple cards

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by twig, Jan 6, 2006.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Hello,
    Can somebody help me recall how to set the camera to keep the numbers going when you input a new memory card, instead of starting at 0001 again?
    Another owrds memory card 1 takes photos 0001 through 0560 then I pop in a second card I want the first image to be file name 561, not start all over at 001.

MY camera came back form nikon with everything reset.
    thanks
    t

2. Don't remember on my D2H, but on the D200 it is in the Shooting Menu, called File Sequence. d6 on the D200. If you don't have the D2X manual handy, you can find in on the Nikon USA site.

3. marsh

marsh

Aug 11, 2005
    Tennessee, USA
    Continuous numbering

I'm not sure which camera you have--I saw a post where you mentioned a D2Hs. I have a D2H, so it should be the same or close. It's custom menu d5 File No. Seq. The default if off. This was a big discussion item with the D100 as folks were overwriting their pictures when downloading.

Another consideration along this line is to go to the shooting menu and change the file name setting from the default DSC to something else. This gets important if you have or may add a second camera. The D70 doesn't offer this feature, so I set it on my D2H to my initials. That way my D70 files won't overwrite my D2H files if they get combined in a folder.

Hope this helps.

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    thanks to you both!
    I use a D2Hs and it is d4 setting for file sequence on my camera.

It;s always fun when it comes back form service and things you set a million years ago are un-set. I guerss it;s par for the course when they have to do major fixes internally.

thanks for the fast replies,

5. Don't you just love Nikon consistency? d4 on the d2hs, d5 on the d2h and d6 on the d200 :biggrin:

At least they are all in the d-list, eh????

Glad we could help.