Considering a Z6

Real Name
Andrew
Manually focusing on the Z6 is, IMHO, a bit easier and more accurate than manual focusing on the m43 cameras I have.

I've adapted pre-AI, AIS lenses to the Z6 and it has brought new life into those old lenses. Focus peaking and punch in zoom work well.

Here is a Flickr album with all the shots on the Z6 and f-mount adapted lenses.
Nikon Z Adapted Lenses

A mix of fully functioning plus fully manual. If you don't mind manual focusing, you can put together a really small kit for cheap. The Nikon 105/2.5 AIS, 135/3.5 AIS can be found under $100 each. I've even picked up a 20/3.5 AIS for cheap for an awesome wide option.

The Nikon 70-300/4.5-5.6E AF-P VR is phenomenal as is the 300/4 PF lens (although small and light, not cheap!!).

lots of choices to get you where you want to be.

Have any of you sent used gear to either Adorama or B&H? I got a quote from B&H for my Olympus kit, but I'm not sure if once they get it they will call and try to make it lower. They initially put all my items at level 9 condition and I don't think they will find all of them at that condition once they get them. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Z6. I realize that I could probably sell my m4/3 gear for more money myself, but I don't live in a huge population center and it would take time to do it.

Years ago, I sent equipment to Adorama for their purchase. Their hard quote was significantly lower than their verbal quote. Needless to say, I told them to “box ‘em up and return”, and subsequently sold to KEH at a fair price.....fair as far as the big buyers go.

Real Name
Andrew
Have any of you sent used gear to either Adorama or B&H? I got a quote from B&H for my Olympus kit, but I'm not sure if once they get it they will call and try to make it lower. They initially put all my items at level 9 condition and I don't think they will find all of them at that condition once they get them. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Z6. I realize that I could probably sell my m4/3 gear for more money myself, but I don't live in a huge population center and it would take time to do it.
I added a comment to your stand alone thread on this subject. :)

Well, the E-M5 is on it's way to B&H! Let's hope that it gets there in time to make the trade in deal work. They have to have my camera before they will let me order the new one with the trade in deal.

Real Name
Andy
Well, the E-M5 is on it's way to B&H! Let's hope that it gets there in time to make the trade in deal work. They have to have my camera before they will let me order the new one with the trade in deal.
Adorama let me buy a Z6 + 24/70 + FTZ under the $200 trade-in promotion in advance of sending them a D50 in trade. They later valued the trade as worthless (which was fine since it was $50 on eBay, and I retained possession of the 18-55 that came with it). That small expenditure saved me the $200 off the selling price and another $220 on the sales tax for the Z6 kit - a significant net savings even if Adorama discards the D50 (which I only purchased to leverage into this deal!). While you wait for B&H, you have options!

Adorama let me buy a Z6 + 24/70 + FTZ under the $200 trade-in promotion in advance of sending them a D50 in trade. They later valued the trade as worthless (which was fine since it was $50 on eBay, and I retained possession of the 18-55 that came with it). That small expenditure saved me the $200 off the selling price and another $220 on the sales tax for the Z6 kit - a significant net savings even if Adorama discards the D50 (which I only purchased to leverage into this deal!). While you wait for B&H, you have options!
I called Adorama to see if they would do this, but they said they wouldn't approve the purchase until they have the camera. Maybe they changed their policy since you bought yours. I went with B&H since they have free express shipping and Adorama only offered free regular shipping. I think B&H will work things out with me. I will call them when they open again and check. My E-M5 isn't worth much either, but I thought it would be better to trade it in than my D610. I will try to sell that myself once I decide I am happy with the Z6 as my main camera.

Welcome to the Z family (assuming all goes through okay), you will get so much from the camera, the 24-70 zoom is awesome, you can use AFS lenses fully via the FTZ and dig out all those old MF Nikkor lenses as using them is great fun with the EVF, Focus Peaking and the zoom function to check focus. My only issue is AFD lenses which become a manual focus lens on the FTZ I have just the one (35mm) and it is not the easiest to focus manually but I am getting better with it. Having had a D750 and a 24-120 as my walk around kit I cannot believe just how much nicer my new combo is to carry around.

I hope everything goes through okay and that you enjoy the new camera and lens.

Welcome to the Z family (assuming all goes through okay), you will get so much from the camera, the 24-70 zoom is awesome, you can use AFS lenses fully via the FTZ and dig out all those old MF Nikkor lenses as using them is great fun with the EVF, Focus Peaking and the zoom function to check focus. My only issue is AFD lenses which become a manual focus lens on the FTZ I have just the one (35mm) and it is not the easiest to focus manually but I am getting better with it. Having had a D750 and a 24-120 as my walk around kit I cannot believe just how much nicer my new combo is to carry around.

I hope everything goes through okay and that you enjoy the new camera and lens.
That is so good to hear!! I'm pretty excited about it. When I heard the first reviews I thought I would wait till the next version. But the real world reviews from all of you have changed my mind!! PS. I feel pretty confident that B&H will come through for me even if the camera doesn't make it there in time. But the gal at Fed Ex told me it should be there the middle of the week next week.

I have to tell all of you something....I guess I can't believe I am sharing it here, but I have been very ill for quite a while. This winter there were several weeks where I didn't have enough energy to walk out to the mail and I was losing weight like crazy. It was very scary. But a couple of weeks ago, the doctor tried a new medicine as a trial. I won't go into details about what is the matter, but the new medicine is like a miracle. Every day I feel stronger and stronger. I'm eating all day, every day and have a new lease on life. The fact that I have felt good enough to even care about a new camera is amazing to me. I feel like I am getting my life back and the new camera will be a fun diversion instead of thinking about being sick, trying to eat when I didn't want to, and going to doctor's appointments. Hopefully I will be well enough soon to go on a spring vacation and my husband and I will really rejoice. Thank you all for your help. I didn't even start thinking about this until a couple of days ago. I always agonize for weeks about my decisions, but not this time. I just thought that I needed something to get me going again and hopefully this will be just the perfect thing. So, again, thank you, thank you, Nikon Cafe members.

That is so good to hear!! I'm pretty excited about it. When I heard the first reviews I thought I would wait till the next version. But the real world reviews from all of you have changed my mind!! PS. I feel pretty confident that B&H will come through for me even if the camera doesn't make it there in time. But the gal at Fed Ex told me it should be there the middle of the week next week.
'Waiting for V2' is a phrase that is well quoted but as my old boss told me, 'if you wait till it is perfect you will never have it'

I have a Nikon D610, D5600, and an Olympus O-MD E-M5. Each camera body has it's own lenses, so I own three camera systems. I have developed some problems with my back, that are not going to get any better. The D610 bag with it's lenses is so heavy that I can't safely carry it around any more. I bought the D5600 before we went on a trip last fall so that I would have a light weight option to carry around. The O-MD E-M5 is super light weight, but that camera is getting very old. I am considering trading in the Olympus on the trade in promotion for the Z cameras that Nikon is currently running and would try to sell my m4/3 lenses. I would also sell my D610. I'm just wondering what those of you who have bought a Z6 honestly think about the camera. Are you still using your DSLR as well, or do you like the Z6 enough that you are drawn to it over your DSLR? I don't have much invested in the D5600 kit, so I think I would keep that as my light weight camera. It's heavier than my Olympus, but not much with the lenses that I have for it. I'm just mulling my options. I would love some honest feedback from those who have used the Z6. I went to my local camera store today and played around with a Z7 for a while. (They didn't have a Z6.) They aren't very pro-mirrorless but are big Nikon fans. They weren't very encouraging. The Z6 was heavy but is lighter than the D610 by quite a bit. I would buy the 24-70 f4 with the camera so I would have one native lens to go with it. I would also get the FTZ adapter so I can use my other Nikon FX lenses although I'm not sure it would be much of a weight savings. I'm just not ready to give up photography yet and am trying to find a plan to make it work for me for the foreseeable future.
Terry,
I went through the same thing your going through.
My gear just became too heavy to carry around.
In other words my body has aged and it does not like it.
I researched and found that the Sony A7-III fulfilled my IQ needs.
The only thing was, I needed to buy lenses made for the Sony.
If I tried using an adapter which work very well, the weight issue was still there.
So A7 III with factory lenses lightened my gear weight and still gave me great IQ.
I have been slowly selling my DSLR gear.
I still have my D3S with 12,000 clicks and my 70-200 VR1 to sell to make it official.

I think you're better off selling on FM.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom