Considering a Z6

Very nice set Terri, and I'm glad that you are enjoying the Z.

For auto ISO, I usually shot with M mode using my desirable aperture and shutter speed and let auto ISO to deal with the exposure.

One more.....spring is here. The ditch bank behind our house is starting to green up. Not sure why it doesn't look very sharp here. It was sharp in Lightroom.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
In my church, I work with a group of 7, 8,and 9 year old girls. Twice a month we have a midweek activity where they learn all sorts of various skills. Today we did an activity on Family History at my house. I thought it would be a good chance to give the camera a little workout. First of all, I had turned on the Electric Front Shutter Curtain. The shutter sounded so different, it really made me wonder what was going on. As to the recommendation of others, I had the image review turned off. I reviewed a couple and thought I needed to set a minimum shutter speed. I didn't have my glasses on, so I did it blindly, forgetting that I could do it up to my eye, through the viewfinder, and I mistakenly set it to 1/320. So most of my shots were high ISO. But, in spite of all the user errors, most were recoverable. I had more keepers than normal. So, I'm learning a lot and so far am VERY impressed with the camera. The auto face detect worked great. That is a feature that I will love when shooting my grandkids. This was an activity where I was trying to help girls and photograph at the same time so it was a good test of a tough situation to photograph.View attachment 1635053View attachment 1635054
View attachment 1635057
View attachment 1635058

Thank you all for your encouragement to purchase this camera. I think it will be perfect for my needs. The weight doesn't seem to be more than I can handle and the IQ is better than anything I've had so far. Once the user errors become fewer, it will be even better.
I like what you're doing with the Z6, and even more so the gift of your time to these girls. Nicely done!

On a technical note, I think you'll be satisfied with high ISO performance in the Z6. It's every bit as good as the already-established excellence of the D750 in this regard.

I've never really shot much with M mode, but I think it's time to try!!
"M" mode with auto-iso is a very good way to go for moving subjects where you need to control both shutter speed and aperture. I don't think it has any advantages for static subjects, however. I prefer aperture priority for those.

One caution: in "M" mode with auto-iso you can also dial in exposure compensation, but it doesn't show in the viewfinder display on any of my cameras (D5500, D7200, D750). Thus you can easily forget that you have +/- exposure compensation dialed in. That may not be true on the "Z" cameras as I have no experience with either of them.

Real Name
David
"M" mode with auto-iso is a very good way to go for moving subjects where you need to control both shutter speed and aperture. I don't think it has any advantages for static subjects, however. I prefer aperture priority for those.

One caution: in "M" mode with auto-iso you can also dial in exposure compensation, but it doesn't show in the viewfinder display on any of my cameras (D5500, D7200, D750). Thus you can easily forget that you have +/- exposure compensation dialed in. That may not be true on the "Z" cameras as I have no experience with either of them.
"M" with auto-iso using exposure comp and / or metering options is how I shot 95% of my events. They other 5% was when I had uncontrolled transitions without time to adjust (following someone or a group from a car into venue for example).

Thanks for the info, Jim. I’ll test it out and report back here

I like what you're doing with the Z6, and even more so the gift of your time to these girls. Nicely done!

On a technical note, I think you'll be satisfied with high ISO performance in the Z6. It's every bit as good as the already-established excellence of the D750 in this regard.
Thank you, Andy. Working with these girls is a joy! I have two other wonderful women to work with and we have a good time!

In my church, I work with a group of 7, 8,and 9 year old girls. Twice a month we have a midweek activity where they learn all sorts of various skills. Today we did an activity on Family History at my house. I thought it would be a good chance to give the camera a little workout. First of all, I had turned on the Electric Front Shutter Curtain. The shutter sounded so different, it really made me wonder what was going on. As to the recommendation of others, I had the image review turned off. I reviewed a couple and thought I needed to set a minimum shutter speed. I didn't have my glasses on, so I did it blindly, forgetting that I could do it up to my eye, through the viewfinder, and I mistakenly set it to 1/320. So most of my shots were high ISO. But, in spite of all the user errors, most were recoverable. I had more keepers than normal. So, I'm learning a lot and so far am VERY impressed with the camera. The auto face detect worked great. That is a feature that I will love when shooting my grandkids. This was an activity where I was trying to help girls and photograph at the same time so it was a good test of a tough situation to photograph.View attachment 1635053View attachment 1635054
View attachment 1635057
View attachment 1635058

Thank you all for your encouragement to purchase this camera. I think it will be perfect for my needs. The weight doesn't seem to be more than I can handle and the IQ is better than anything I've had so far. Once the user errors become fewer, it will be even better.
Wonderful pictures, I really like these and if these were raw conversions then excellent PP skills, well done

View attachment 1635057
View attachment 1635058

Looking good Terri! I knew you'd warm up to the Z6! You're an experience mirrorless and Nikon shooter, so the transition looks to be a success! :D

Terri, there are a lot of replies I've not read yet. Did you get your Z6 yet? I just ordered one today from B&H, $1996 with FTZ and 32 GB card. A good deal I think.

I didn't get any z lenses yet. I want to see what I can do with my F mount lenses first.

Anyway, I'm excited and I hope you are enjoying your Z!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Terri, there are a lot of replies I've not read yet. Did you get your Z6 yet? I just ordered one today from B&H, $1996 with FTZ and 32 GB card. A good deal I think.

I didn't get any z lenses yet. I want to see what I can do with my F mount lenses first.

She got it.

Island Park, Idaho

Yes. I got it a few days ago. So far, I love it!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom