Considering a Z6

Real Name
Ian
Electronic front curtain shutter. Enabling it should reduce shutter shock. No downside AFAIK.
The downside is Nikon has poorly designed it such that it can't be used with shutter speeds > 1/2000s. And instead of following in Sony's foot steps where if the SS exceeds 1/2000, the camera automatically switches to mechanical shutter, the Nikon Z cameras will just blink at you and take an over exposed image.

This is something that should be an incredibly easy fix via FW, but I have not heard anything about it being addressed, which is disappointing.

I'm also befuddled about why Nikon doesn't allow shutter speeds faster than 1/8000 when using the electronic shutter, when there are other companies out there allowing up to 1/32000 with the electronic shutter (useful for wide-open shooting with fast glass without needing any ND filters).

Real Name
Andrew
The downside is Nikon has poorly designed it such that it can't be used with shutter speeds > 1/2000s. And instead of following in Sony's foot steps where if the SS exceeds 1/2000, the camera automatically switches to mechanical shutter, the Nikon Z cameras will just blink at you and take an over exposed image.

This is something that should be an incredibly easy fix via FW, but I have not heard anything about it being addressed, which is disappointing.

I'm also befuddled about why Nikon doesn't allow shutter speeds faster than 1/8000 when using the electronic shutter, when there are other companies out there allowing up to 1/32000 with the electronic shutter (useful for wide-open shooting with fast glass without needing any ND filters).

Whenever I see things like this brought up, I send a support message to Nikon. The more they hear from us about it, the more they may see it as a priority. We'll have a higher probability of getting a firmware change or update in the next iteration.

One more question. Do you
Whenever I see things like this brought up, I send a support message to Nikon. The more they hear from us about it, the more they may see it as a priority. We'll have a higher probability of getting a firmware change or update in the next iteration.
That's a good idea!! Do they ever respond back to you?

I am noticing something about the Auto ISO. It seems that you don't set a minimum shutter speed in the setup. It picks a shutter speed based on your focal length. At first the thought of that sort of bothered me. I always have chosen 1/125 as my minimum because I know I am not the most stable shooter. But, with the IBIS I had great luck last night.

I guess I don't know how to do 100% crops. But here is a crop out of a photo I did at 1/6 second handheld. It could be a little sharper, but this isn't bad. I had to turn auto iso off to get this shot because it wanted to have a faster shutter speed with the ISO bumped. But it shows me that when auto ISO picks a slower shutter speed, I don't need to worry about it. If I was doing serious shooting in low light, I would use a tripod. But for casual shooting I think I can get goods results handholding.
DSC_0255.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon has a few little things that would polish up the Z cameras nicely via firmware. The EFC limitation and low-FPS magnify view were my two pet peeves regarding the Z6. I hope the upcoming FW fixes these minor things.

Sony is putting full effort into firmware side and they just released ver. 5 for the A9 with ver. 6 coming this summer. I think with bigger gaps between camera releases, the software side is where camera manufacturers will start putting their effort.

Regarding EFC, Sony doesn't go beyond 1/8000th in electronic shutter mode. Also Nikon's mechanical shutter is much more quieter, negating the need of the silent electronic shutter, only for the most quietest of situations. Sony's shutter on the other hand, is pretty loud making the silent E shutter more necessary. Nikon did the shutter right first go-around.

I am noticing something about the Auto ISO. It seems that you don't set a minimum shutter speed in the setup. It picks a shutter speed based on your focal length. At first the thought of that sort of bothered me. I always have chosen 1/125 as my minimum because I know I am not the most stable shooter. But, with the IBIS I had great luck last night.

I guess I don't know how to do 100% crops. But here is a crop out of a photo I did at 1/6 second handheld. It could be a little sharper, but this isn't bad. I had to turn auto iso off to get this shot because it wanted to have a faster shutter speed with the ISO bumped. But it shows me that when auto ISO picks a slower shutter speed, I don't need to worry about it. If I was doing serious shooting in low light, I would use a tripod. But for casual shooting I think I can get goods results handholding. View attachment 1635021

Have you set 1/125 or left it set to AUTO?

DG

Last edited:
Real Name
Doug

This is good advice, not just for Nikon but for pretty much everything. The more squeaks from the squeaky wheel the better and the detailed feedback helps with identifying the best solution.

I've sent feedback via the Nikon USA site. I've never received a reply but hope that all the feedback is taken into consideration.

Sometimes when it's really important, I send formal letters to corporate in Japan. I once sent a formal letter to Olympus Japan regarding the original OM-D E-M5 not enabling IBIS when adapting lenses. I received a formal reply and everything. A few weeks later, the next firmware fixed the issue! The way I see it, if you want to find solutions, go straight to the source!

Here's Nikon Japan's contact link:
お問い合わせ - ログイン|サポート|ニコンイメージング

Just create an account and send a letter. I usually just combine English and some Japanese. There's resources on the net on how to write formal letters in Japanese as well. ;)

Last edited:
In my church, I work with a group of 7, 8,and 9 year old girls. Twice a month we have a midweek activity where they learn all sorts of various skills. Today we did an activity on Family History at my house. I thought it would be a good chance to give the camera a little workout. First of all, I had turned on the Electric Front Shutter Curtain. The shutter sounded so different, it really made me wonder what was going on. As to the recommendation of others, I had the image review turned off. I reviewed a couple and thought I needed to set a minimum shutter speed. I didn't have my glasses on, so I did it blindly, forgetting that I could do it up to my eye, through the viewfinder, and I mistakenly set it to 1/320. So most of my shots were high ISO. But, in spite of all the user errors, most were recoverable. I had more keepers than normal. So, I'm learning a lot and so far am VERY impressed with the camera. The auto face detect worked great. That is a feature that I will love when shooting my grandkids. This was an activity where I was trying to help girls and photograph at the same time so it was a good test of a tough situation to photograph.
_DSC0291.jpg
_DSC0274.jpg

_DSC0258.jpg

_DSC0271.jpg

Thank you all for your encouragement to purchase this camera. I think it will be perfect for my needs. The weight doesn't seem to be more than I can handle and the IQ is better than anything I've had so far. Once the user errors become fewer, it will be even better.

Nice photographs Terri!
Are you shooting jpegs or processing the RAW file in LR?
I've shot Nikons since the D70 and the Z's produce some of the best jpegs I've seen.

Very nice images!!!! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, Karen!!

Those look good, Terri. So far I've found that the Z6 does high ISO on a par with the D750 which sets a pretty high standard.

I'm certainly impressed with the results.

Nice photographs Terri!
Are you shooting jpegs or processing the RAW file in LR?
I've shot Nikons since the D70 and the Z's produce some of the best jpegs I've seen.

I always shoot RAW. I like to post process!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom