1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

considering -> ALL PRIME

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nuteshack, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

just NOT using my zooms!

currently in my kit (zoom wise)

35-70 2.8
    80-200 2.8, both push/pull and i :Love: them (minty like new PERFECT samples) but they're just gathering dust:frown:

first to go would be my 35-70, what say u?

bless
    :cool: 

2. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    You could try this out on a trial basis. Mail me your 35-70, I'll keep it for a few weeks, and if you just feel totally lost, I'll mail it back to you... :smile:

But I know how you feel. 95% of my shots are with my primes; I pull my 70-300mm VR and 18-135mm lenses out for specific occasions only...

3. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    I've been seriously thinking about the idea myself. I got the 50mm 1.4 not to long ago and really loving it. My plan right now is to get primes up to the 85mm, and have a zoom above that since the primes above that are kinda out of my reach price wise.

4. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    If you're not using the zoomers and their sale will help you secure a D700 in your kit, then by all means do it.
    Take it from me, dumped lenses can always be repurchased if mistakes are made. :eek: 
    Unlike people, they don't seem to take it too personally. :wink: :biggrin:

5. Well if you dont use em, get rid of them. And once you feel the need for a zoom , well then you have a reason to get the 24-70/2,8, cause it would be a shame to put any other midrange zoom on that sexy body.. :) 

With that said, only time i use my 24-70/2,8 is if i need af.(wich is rarely) The 14-24/2,8 simply is to FUN, so ill live with the fact its a AF zoom. .-)

But without doubt, 99% of the time i use primes.

6. I started with nearly all primes when I entered the SLR world. First got the 50, then a 28, 17, then 85, 180, 300, 24, all the while only having one zoom, the old 35-135. Then I went digital and zooms got better and better. Now I never use my primes.

7. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    I do find that when I have a prime on ....you concentrate more on the capture of the photo itself than playing with the zoom ring....so.... you move closer ....you also get a sharper image most of the time...

8. mchung

mchung

Sep 17, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    My favourite prime combo: 28/1.4 + 85/1.4 on the D3. I haven't found the need for the 50, besides both those lenses are just so much better. The 35/2 might be a great companion to the 85/1.4 in that regard.

For general work where I can't foot zoom (events, weddings), it's the 24-70 all the way for the flexibility.

9. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Keep them. You will miss them for sure. It is nice to have few capable zooms.

10. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    If you are not using them then by all means sell them.

My own zooms are used always in either end of the range which kind of makes the zooming useless. My 17-35 is always either 17 or 35 but never anything in between. The 28-70 is always 70. I find myself often wishing they were a stop or two faster :cool:  for DOF not shutter speed. And I am selling the DX zooms anyway and getting a 16/2.8 fish instead.

Your idea is not bad at all. Primes often offer higher IQ with smaller size and better price, and wider max aperture. On the other hand many current Nikkor AF primes are not nearly as great on digital as they are on film.

If only I could trust my manual focusing skills better... there are great AIS bargains (35/1.4, 50/1.2, 105/2.5, 105/1.8) plus 105/2.8 and 135/2 which I have, and of course all the new Voigtlander and Zeiss offerings.

11. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Edward said what I'd say. Primes are great when you have time and freedom of motion to compose your photo. Zooms are great for events when you have to adapt to the action or perhaps stay within a given area to make your shot.

That said, it's up to you to decide where most of your photography falls. Can you live within the limitations of what you carry? For example, some landscapes may have natural obstacles (water, cliffs) that prevent you from moving closer to your subject or farther back from it. Do you have enough primes to capture what you want, or do you just not get the shot quite the way you wanted?

It's all subjective. There's no right or wrong answer because there are so many ways to frame an image. It's just that some of those ways suck more than others.

12. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    Mark

We all see different. I would be lost without my zooms and my primes do not see enough use. I would give up the primes first. My 14-24 and my 80-200 are so sharp I often look for cuts after using them. My 18-200 is my lazy all around solution. Love primes as I was raised on them but I may still own my 4*5 if it had a zoom like the 18-200. I can not complain about your great results but my zooms make my digital so much fun to use I would forgo the primes first.
    I need to get up your way and go shooting sometime. Hope all is well Kevin

13. I'm going all prime. I do own the 18-200mm but never use it.

My current list is:

10.5/2.8 - 30/1.4 - 50/1.4 - 85/1.8 - 105/2.8 (- 180/2.8 in mail) + a Kenko 1.4x TC

And I couldn't be happier. I feel that the primes force me to think more when I'm shooting, and I enjoy that feeling.

Photography is just a hobby for me, so it doesn't matter $-wise if I loose a shot because I don't use the zooms. Now I'm thinking of selling the 18-200mm and 85/1.8 and getting the 85/1.4, but I still need to convince my wife that she won't ever use the 18-200mm :biggrin: To tell the truth, she did once a few months back, and is now claiming that we need it :tongue:

14. Nute, I am using the Zeiss 35/2 for the July prime challenge and loving every moment :biggrin:
    Keep the zooms...it's like golfers with their putters...sometimes you just need a change

15. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

Speaking of sexy bodies...that's what I'm going to do with mine (D700 that is!). One good midrange zoom in addition to a prime kit....I think that offers me the option for when I just take my camera along rather than as the main event.

16. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I use my zooms as if they were primes (stuck at one focal length all the time), so like you, I might as well sell my zooms and get more primes.

17. I'm a little surprised you even have the zooms, Nute, as the primes seem to suit your shooting style and bring out the best in you. I'd say go for it.

18. I tried that for a while but got tired of changing lenses all the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.