Considering dumping the Z7

Real Name
Andy
I’ve had the Z6 and Z7 for four months and they are both excellent cameras. I also have a D750 and a D500, so that’s a total of four bodies. Time for one to go, as there is really no reason to keep all of them. As much as I’m enjoying the Z experience, I think I need to let one of the mirrorless bodies go. By process of elimination, the D750 won’t fetch much on the used market after all I’ve put it through; the D500 fulfills the mission of shooting action better than any other camera I’ve ever owned; the Z6 does everything that the Z7 can except get down to ISO64 and produce enormous NEF files. If I act now (before Nikon price reductions continue further), proceeds from selling it would fund a good chunk of a really nice lens. What are your thoughts?

Up to you. I'm not a fan of high megapixel cameras. It requires sharper and in some cases oversized lenses, more storage space and faster computers.

Maybe go with:
- 2x Z6
- 1x D500
or
2x D500
1x Z6

It's always good to have same pairs of one camera. :D

Real Name
Andrew
Do you even need 3?

Once getting the Z6, there was no reason for me to keep the D750. It was Z6 did everything I asked from the D750 plus the benefits of mirrorless.

Right now, I'm running the Z6 and the D500 and could not be happier. Even if the D750 doesn't get you the amount you'd hope for, its still a few hundred dollars you are not spending out of pocket.

Unless you have a need for the Z7 higher MP count, that seems a good candidate.

Now...flipping that script....you could pull an @ijm5012 and ditch the Z6 and keep the Z7, shooting it in a lower MP mode or cropped mode when you don't need the bigger files. Sell the Z6 instead. It might end up being a more versatile package for you to shoot with, but you'll not be getting the same cash from a Z6 sale.

So, maybe there is some help in there or maybe I just made it worse. :cautious:

Real Name
Andy
Maybe go with:
- 2x Z6
- 1x D500
This is an interesting idea. Having two mirrorless bodies has been handy at times.

Z6 did everything I asked from the D750 plus the benefits of mirrorless.
I’ve found this to be true also, for the most part. I feel a lot of personal attachment to the D750 though - it was the camera that brought me back to Nikon after a long absence. In that way, it’s worth more to me than what the used market would pay for it. Also, one of my sons is taking a photography class this fall, and it will be a great platform for him to learn the basics with my old manual focus F-mount glass.

Last edited:
This is an interesting idea. Having two mirrorless bodies has been handy at times.

I’ve found this to be true also, for the most part. I feel a lot of personal attachment to the D750 was though - it was the camera that brought me back to Nikon after a long absence. In that way, it’s worth more to me than what the used market would pay for it. Also, one of my sons is taking a photography class this fall, and it will be a great platform for him to learn the basics with my old manual focus F-mount glass.
Just give the D750 to your son. It's the most well-rounded Nikon FF DSLR and it'll be a good learner body.

Sell the Z7, pocket the difference and have two Z6 bodies and keep the D500 for action. That gives you two exact bodies, one action body (where the OVF shines), 3 shared batteries and 3 XQD compatible card cameras. To me this is the most ideal situation for a serious photographer or hobbyist. ;)

Real Name
Ian
Looking at your situation Andy, the D750 jumps out to me as the first to go. Unless you're shooting weddings where you want/need a second slot as a redundant backup, the Z6 does everything better than it. Sure, it doesn't fetch a whole lot of money on the used market, but it does free up some money and eliminates a camera that is not likely to be used much in the future.

If you don't want/need the gigantic files of the Z7, then it makes sense as the one to sell. I'm not sure what they're going for now, but between that and the D750, you'll have a good amount of money freed up that you can decide what to do with (like buy a second Z6 if you want). Personally, I didn't feel that the Z7 justified its price relative to the Z6. Literally, the ONLY difference is the sensor. As a normal, every-day / travel camera, I feel the Z6 is better than the Z7.

With the D500 and Z6 (plus a good chunk of cash), you can do what you want with it. This is what I typically will shoot with now, and I've very pleased. I've got a second D500, but I'm hardly using it at all anymore because I'm finding the Z6's AF to be good enough to serve as a backup camera to the D500 when I'm at the race track, plus it gives me the flexibility of the FF sensor (DoF, ISO performance, etc.).

One option to consider would be to sell the D500, and get a D850. You can shoot it in crop mode when you need the reach, which basically makes it a D500, but for times when you need the higher resolution you can use the full sensor. I've toyed with the idea of selling both of my D500's and just getting a D850 to pair with my Z6, but haven't acted on it at this point.

I've given up trying to find the perfect combination of cameras and lenses for my needs, wants and desires. I've just decided it is a moving target so I just spend what I can afford and enjoy what I have.

I would pass the D750 to your son. Unless you are shooting landscape, sell the Z7 and put the difference toward S lenses either now or as FLs you need become available. Keep the D500 as it is a gem of an action camera.

The Z bodies are proving to be a solid platform for the system but the real reason to adopt the Z's are the S lenses.

Real Name
Andy
Just give the D750 to your son. It's the most well-rounded Nikon FF DSLR and it'll be a good learner body.
Very sensible.

One option to consider would be to sell the D500, and get a D850.
This is a very interesting option. If it were closer to cost-neutral, I’d go for it.

I would pass the D750 to your son. Unless you are shooting landscape, sell the Z7 and put the difference toward S lenses either now or as FLs you need become available. Keep the D500 as it is a gem of an action camera.
This sums up the consensus opinion very well. Looks like it’s time to make some listing photos of the Z7.

Real Name
Andy
Well my Z7 is already on its way to a buyer on FM. It sold within three hours of listing it. (I guess I should have offered it at a higher price). Thanks to all for the input. I feel strangely relieved...

Well my Z7 is already on its way to a buyer on FM. It sold within three hours of listing it. (I guess I should have offered it at a higher price). Thanks to all for the input. I feel strangely relieved...
I bet the buyer is happy, too!! Congratulations on making a hard decision. Glad you still have your Z6 so you can keep sharing the experience with all of us early adopters here on the cafe.

Real Name
Andy
Such efficiency---gives new meaning to the term "decisive moment" :D
You think Cartier-Bresson would have approved? Who am I kidding - his efforts went into the making of great photographs, not the churning of photographic gear!

I bet the buyer is happy, too!! Congratulations on making a hard decision. Glad you still have your Z6 so you can keep sharing the experience with all of us early adopters here on the cafe.
Very kind, Terri. I was lucky to have the chance to own both Z bodies and see for myself that the Z6 is truly sufficient for me. The Z7 was obtained gently used at a great bargain, and sold for nearly the same amount - so it cost me almost nothing financially, and saved me from a case of FOMO.

You think Cartier-Bresson would have approved? Who am I kidding - his efforts went into the making of great photographs, not the churning of photographic gear!

Very kind, Terri. I was lucky to have the chance to own both Z bodies and see for myself that the Z6 is truly sufficient for me. The Z7 was obtained gently used at a great bargain, and sold for nearly the same amount - so it cost me almost nothing financially, and saved me from a case of FOMO.
I had never heard FOMO before. I looked it up, and now I know. I think I get a case of it now and then....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom