Considering new strobes . . .

I have been using AlienBees for several months (B400's) and I'm looking to move up to higher quality lights (those with more consistent color, consistent output from shot to shot, and brighter modeling lights - 250-300w). Please note that I love the value AB's represent and I'm not slamming them here. :)

My goal is to move to a light brand that has a good range of accessories, solid build quality (probably a no brainer with those listed), and consistent power/color temp. I'm shooting portraits and a few weddings this year so I think I can use more "reliable" lights.

So far I have looked at Elinchrom 600DX, Photogenic 1250DR, Hensel Integra 500, and White Lightning X1600 (I know this brand is sister to AB's).

So here are my questions:

1) Are these strobes too powerful for digital (my D2h is ISO 200 - I expect to use a D2x in the future with ISO 100)? I tend to use large modifiers (47-inch Octabox as an example) and shoot portraits.

2) Am I missing a brand/model that I should consider?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

You have picked some of the best in your lineup of brands to consider. I have heard lots of good things about the Elinchrom but do not have any first hand knowledge.

PGB

Birger, (bpetersen) is the guy to ask. He has the Elinchron setup.

If you want to get rid of your AB's let me know. I might be interested.

Thanks,

greyflash said:
You have picked some of the best in your lineup of brands to consider. I have heard lots of good things about the Elinchrom but do not have any first hand knowledge.

Thanks Gordon. I'll never complain when the decision is between quality products. :) Compromise is the only frustration. :wink:

Regards,

Joe

Patrick Bramlett said:
Birger, (bpetersen) is the guy to ask. He has the Elinchron setup.

If you want to get rid of your AB's let me know. I might be interested.

Thanks,

Thanks for the info Patrick, I'll send him a PM.

As for the AB's, they'll be on the market as soon as I make a decision so I'll let you know when they're available.

Regards,

Joe

B

bpetterson

Joe;
I replied to your PM.
For the benefit of the others- I repeat here.

I have nine Elinchrom's. and lots of accessories, even the 74 x 74 octa.
I think Carol Steele even uses them.

No problems, tough and versatile.

B&H is my main source as they have everything in stock.

Basically I use two Style 300s with 27 x27 Elinchrom soft boxes
and one Style 600S with an umbrella. L358 meter with chip and Pocket Wizard.
However lately I just mount the SB 800 on the D2H or D2X aim it straight up- set the SB800 to RPT.

For stands I use Air Cushioned JTL which I get from Adorama.

If you get the Elinchrom. Get the kit with two lights, umbrellas and case.
Maybe light stands are included. But I do not use them.

Need more info- I'm here any time.

Birger

Latest threads

Top Bottom