1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Considering Sony A7

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by dburanich, May 11, 2018.

1. Lately I have been giving some serious thought to parting with my D3S and assorted lenses and switching to a Sony A7. The things I like the most about my D3S are low light capability and image quality. I do not shoot much video in fact I have never used my D3S for video. There are quite a few different A7's out there and trying to decide which one fits me best is a little overwhelming. My reason for the switch is mainly due to the weight of my current gear. I'm not getting any younger. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Do the weight calculations to check just how much weight you will save. Remember that the longer lenses have to weigh a lot to cover the FF image circle, so there probably won't be weight savings there. Weight savings will certainly come from the body.

3. The A7III is the best body for the price (under $2k USD). You'll get similar lowlight high ISO performance, but with 24mp, fast AF, in-body stabilization, excellent battery and the inclusion of a silent shutter. The video on the Sony A7III is very good for casual shooters and you can setup the camera to completely ignore it if you don't use it. Also if you have a collection of Nikon AF-S G lenses, the Commlite ENF-E1 Pro adapter can auto focus many (not all) of those lenses, allowing you to slowly transition without having to sell everything at once. The Sony 2.8 zooms and 1.4 primes are very big, but if you opt for the 1.8 and 2.8 primes and f/4 zooms, the Sony bodies are quite compact.

Regarding flashes, I'm using the Godox line of flashes which are quite cheap and allow wireless TTL with the Sony. I have zero complaints and it works just as well as my Nikon Speedlights. Also don't forget you get access to very good focus peaking which allows for precision focusing on old manual lenses in addition to the stabilization, making every manual prime essentially a VR lens!

If you want to save some money. The A7II is a very good value with used bodies hovering around the $750-900 USD mark. Though what you lose is D3S like high ISO, not so good battery life (aftermarket batteries are cheap though) and lack of a silent shutter. From 100-800 ISO though, the camera is excellent and you can put that extra savings into building your native lens collection if you prefer. Feel free to ask any other questions. ;) 

4. Thank you Richard and Jonathan.
    I think my first move should be the actual weight study. Lenses included.
    So far I am liking the A7-iii.
    Would be nice to find someone who has them in stock.

5. I recommend Beach Camera, they're an authorized Sony seller and they receive stock regularly. The reason I prefer them, is that they have a $50 off coupon if you spend $2000. You just have to buy a small $2 item to have the coupon activate. That's where I bought my A7III. You can either use that savings to buy something like a spare battery or apply it to expedited shipping!

Sony A7III camera only link:
    BeachCamera.com - Sony a7III Full Frame Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (Body Only) ILCE-7M3

Beach Camera Coupon codes:
    BeachCamera.com

6. Thanks Richard.
    I don't think I'll go anywhere near as long as I ma for the D3S.

7. Thank you Jonathan.
    I do not think I would have even considered them without a referral such as yours.
    Too much investment on the line.

Are you pleased with it compared to the D3S?
    Sounds like you are.

8. The A7III is amazing. No complaints. I'm primarily using it with primes and adapted lenses. Though I've yet to test the A7III in serious action, but I'm sure it will do very well. Depending on what lenses you want to get, feel free to ask any questions and I'll offer some suggestions!

9. My 28-70 F2.8 has been my most used lens followed by my 70-200 F2.8 VR.
    I'm thinking that being able to crop better might eliminate the need for something longer than 70mm. The Nikon adapter you mentioned. Will it work with a 24 F1.4 AFS G?
    I have one and it's a shame I don't use it more but the 28-70 seems to do the job for me.

10. You were absolutely right.
    The weight of the bodies is 1.7 lbs vs. 3.1 lbs.
    My most used lens is the 28-70 F2.8. 2.2 lbs
    The Sony version of this lens is 1.95 lbs.
    My one thought is would I be more apt to just use a prime lens (less weight) and just crop since I will have 24mp vs. 12mp.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    If you can handle a don't at minimum, or better yet rent one. I mucked with the. A7 and A7II and hated the feel of it and the menus. Just was not for me.

I have some friends who love their Sony, but they were former Canon shooters before switching, so they had no accounting for good taste anyway. Lol. I joke, I kid. :) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I would definitely try one out before buying. The company Jonathan recommended, Beach Camera, has a 45 day return policy.
    That's pretty good.
    Most places only like to give you a credit to buy something else.
    If I discover the Sony is not for me I'll just stay with the D3S.

13. According to the latest FW chart, yes the 24mm 1.4 does work on the Commlite ENF-E1 PRO adapter:
    http://sonyaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/22770045_1929184357343290_7006887590712133285_o.jpg

The good thing about using these primes on mirrorless is that focus accuracy is near perfect, especially wide open. That 24mm should be amazing on the Sony.

Tamron is releasing a 28-75mm 2.8 for Sony this month. Reviews are trickling in and it looks really good. It's retailing for $799. That lens should be a feather compared to your Nikon 28-70mm! Also Sony has two 70-200mm lenses, including their f4 and f2.8 lenses. You can AF adapt Nikon, Canon, Sigma and Tamron 70-200mm lenses as well.

14. The new 3rd gen Sony bodies are far more refined. Tons of optimization options and multiple ways to access menu settings. There's now a 'My Menu' (similar to the Nikon 'My Menu') which allows you to input your own custom menu selection; a programable 'Function Menu' which is similar to the SCP from Olympus and you can pretty much customize every button, dial and joystick. Lastly there is a 1 & 2 custom dial selection if you want to quickly change settings on the mode dial.

I have my A7III setup closer to my Nikon bodies and have no problem using it with in tandem with the D750.

15. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    if You are not sure, please give strong consideration to renting a Sony and lens adapter before purchasing.

16. I was planning on visiting one of the local camera stores here today.
    Not to buy but get a feel for the Sonys.
    No one has the A7iii in stock so I was hoping I might be able to play around with a A7riii.
    Fairly similar and would give me a feel for the system.

17. Sony also provides an extension grip for the A7/R II/III and A9 bodies and battery grips. There are also aftermarket half cases and arca L plate grips as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-GPX1EM-Grip-Extension-α7R/dp/B06ZYHZ8F2

There various options to beef up the grip if the stock grip isn't adequate.

18. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Returning to your original requirements for low weight, and low light capability. The two requirements conflict, as a bigger sensor for low light means heavier bodies and lenses. However the mirrorless Sony goes some way to reducing the weight while retaining the excellent low light capability.

I thought it worth pointing out the alternative of sacrificing a degree of low light capability to further reduce the weight. My choice of M43 cameras does just that, and it makes a significant weight difference with the longer lenses. My camera produces quite reasonable results up to ISO 6400, and of course this is not good compared to the FF sensors.

Another alternative is to have two systems, one heavier one for low light, and one lightweight one for carrying long distances in daylight.

19. A member of another camera site just left his high end Canon for a Sony A7R lll because of weight issues, he has always been one of the top shooters, I had my doubts as to his continuing his high level of photos..............man was I wrong, coupled with his Canon 100-400 with 1.4TC his shots are even better than before, I myself have been looking at the change, I will always keep my glass and one body, but my D800, D4 will have to go..........thinking thinking...

20. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    I’m also on the fence. I keep telling myself to wait and see what mirrorless system Nikon comes up with, if they do. But those Sony systems are so tempting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.