Considering Sony A7

Hi Dave, last I checked Cameta Camera had them in stock!

BTW, while I think the Sony FF mirrorless system is great, I'm still not convinced I want to sell my Nikon kit. There's still some aspects I prefer from a DSLR system, plus Sony gear is exponentially more expensive. Where the Sony gear excels in is precision focus with fast aperture lenses. My hit rate with fast 1.4 lenses is vastly more accurate. My Sigma Art lenses for example are insanely SHARP wide open!

Thanks Jonathan.
I checked right away once you posted but it showed out of stock.
Today they show it in stock.
I ordered the kit with the 28-70 lens.
I went with overnight shipping so I would think it should be here Thursday with the 4th of July holiday in there.

Thanks Jonathan.
I checked right away once you posted but it showed out of stock.
Today they show it in stock.
I ordered the kit with the 28-70 lens.
I went with overnight shipping so I would think it should be here Thursday with the 4th of July holiday in there.

You'll love it. It took me a good hour to setup, but once you customize your buttons you never have to menu dive again. Also Sony has a 'My Menu' section that is similar to Nikon's implementation. In fact I have both my Nikon and Sony bodies setup similar.

You'll love it. It took me a good hour to setup, but once you customize your buttons you never have to menu dive again. Also Sony has a 'My Menu' section that is similar to Nikon's implementation. In fact I have both my Nikon and Sony bodies setup similar.

I took your advice from another thread and ordered a rapid charger and 2 extra batteries on Amazon. $75 for everything. The charger and batteries will get here before the Sony so when it does arrive I'll be ready to go.

I ordered the A7 III with the 28-70 lens from Cameta Camera. Their site showed they were in stock today. It should be here on Tuesday.
Ordered a charger and 2 extra batteries from Amazon.
Not sure what I'll need as far as software.
Right now I use Nikon Capture NX2, View NX2 and Photoshop 6. I know I'm a little behind the times with PS 6. I absolutely hate subscription and cloud based software though.
It's just a personal thing with me.
Sony does have software available called Imaging Edge. Anyone here have any experience with the Sony software or recommendations on something else?
I usually shoot raw+jpeg. I have not too much in video but with the Sony arriving I think that will change.

Last edited:
My apologies Terri.
I feel like I have hijacked your thread.
I did not intend to.
I have continued the discussion on this subject in a thread I previously started.
If one of the mods is able to transfer them to my thread titled "Considering Sony A7" I would appreciate if it is possible.

Just a heads up, Sony places the video file in a separate folder and if you're not careful you might forget you recorded any footage!

DXO Capture One is pretty good as a stand alone editor. Though, I'm a bit lazy to learn it and I currently use a combination of Photo Mechanic for sorting and captioning my images and Adobe Camera Raw plus Photoshop for editing. I also use DXO Film Pack as finishing software for final output which is more akin to the Nik Collection, but using the DXO Capture One processing engine.

Just a heads up, Sony places the video file in a separate folder and if you're not careful you might forget you recorded any footage!

DXO Capture One is pretty good as a stand alone editor. Though, I'm a bit lazy to learn it and I currently use a combination of Photo Mechanic for sorting and captioning my images and Adobe Camera Raw plus Photoshop for editing. I also use DXO Film Pack as finishing software for final output which is more akin to the Nik Collection, but using the DXO Capture One processing engine.

OK
I think I have quite a bit to learn and experience once I receive the Sony.
BTW I put my comments in this thread because I felt I hijacked Terri's thread which I did not intend to do. It just ended up that way.
I got a little carried away. I'm really looking forward to the Sony arriving.
I bought the SD cards over a month ago.
I'm not that far away from you distance wise and I am a few weeks away from having an adapter for my Nikon lenses.
If you would like to try out my 24mm 1.4 with your adapter let me know.
I'd be happy to let you try it out and see what magic you can do with it. It is an awesome lens.
I am typically in Riverside, Orange and LA County weekly.

Last edited:
Dave, I for one will be interested in what you have to say about the new A7III; I am still trying to decide what I want to do in the future, and that camera sounds so, so tempting!

Connie,

I'll be sure and keep everyone here updated.
I was really at a point where taking my essential gear around was beginning to be somewhat of a chore due to weight and I would find myself just taking pics on my Iphone on special occasions.
Definitely not as good quality but I was able to get by.
Keep in mind, I usually would take my D3S, 28-70 and my 24mm plus a flash and my equipment bag with me on most occasions.
I calculated that was about 10 lbs. of gear.
On occasion I would take my 70-200 2.8 instead of the 24 1.4.
That adds up to being a considerable amount of weight.
Almost the weight of a bowling ball.
I'm hoping the weight decrease will enable me to get out there with something that can take exceptional images with less weight and in turn use it more often.
I do realize I need to be careful and not use lenses that are exceptionally heavy but I feel with the dynamic range of the Sony I will be able to use lighter lenses and still achieve good quality even in low light situations.
Another plus is the high resolution video capabilities. With my D3S I was limited to 720p quality videos and focusing was not optimal so I just did not use it much.

Last edited:
Weight is the big thing for me, too, with regard to my cameras and lenses. As I mentioned in Terri's thread, I'm realizing that my days of toting around a bag stuffed with lenses plus a camera body with another camera body slung around my neck while clutching a tripod are pretty much over. I really haven't been doing much shooting at all the past two or three years and am also evaluating things in light of that, too. No point in buying a new camera and new lenses only to have them sitting around unused most of the time!

I've loved my now gently aging Sony NEX-7 and the wonderfully compact RX100 cameras, and this is one reason I'm interested in the A7III. All the reviews I've seen have been really enthusiastic about the A7III and the price is really reasonable, too. I know I'd have to buy new lenses for it, since I doubt that the three I have for the NEX-7 will work with it, and that's where the greater expenditure would come in, especially since I want the 90mm macro lens plus at least one fairly long zoom telephoto in addition to the usual focal lengths. I prefer to use lenses that are native to the camera body as opposed to adapters, although a couple of times I have used an adapter with the NEX-7 and a Nikon lens.

Sony is also tempting me with its upcoming RX100 M6, and unlike my waffling about the A7III, that is one purchase I'm pretty sure I'll be making! Unlike the earlier RX100 cameras this one has a longer zoom range -- to 200mm -- which is something I have really wanted in that little compact model for a long time. I'll be hanging on to my RX100 M6, though, because of its excellent f/1.8 - 2.8; the new M6 pays a price for that 200mm length by offering f/2.8 - f/4.5. Just have to wait now for the local camera shop to get one of these in stock! While I'm there, if they've got the A7III, too, I'll probably have a hands-on experience with it, too.....

I'm not that far away from you distance wise and I am a few weeks away from having an adapter for my Nikon lenses.
If you would like to try out my 24mm 1.4 with your adapter let me know.
I'd be happy to let you try it out and see what magic you can do with it. It is an awesome lens.
I am typically in Riverside, Orange and LA County weekly.

I'm near Pasadena or DTLA, if you want to grab a coffee sometime, I'm usually free during the day. I think as I mentioned, the Nikon AF adapter works best with fast primes, so this is where the value lies in owning one. In fact after shooting Nikon glass on Sony, I actually tend to appreciate Nikon rendering more now!

Connie,

I'll be sure and keep everyone here updated.
I was really at a point where taking my essential gear around was beginning to be somewhat of a chore due to weight and I would find myself just taking pics on my Iphone on special occasions.
Definitely not as good quality but I was able to get by.
Keep in mind, I usually would take my D3S, 28-70 and my 24mm plus a flash and my equipment bag with me on most occasions.
I calculated that was about 10 lbs. of gear.
On occasion I would take my 70-200 2.8 instead of the 24 1.4.
That adds up to being a considerable amount of weight.
Almost the weight of a bowling ball.
I'm hoping the weight decrease will enable me to get out there with something that can take exceptional images with less weight and in turn use it more often.
I do realize I need to be careful and not use lenses that are exceptionally heavy but I feel with the dynamic range of the Sony I will be able to use lighter lenses and still achieve good quality even in low light situations.
Another plus is the high resolution video capabilities. With my D3S I was limited to 720p quality videos and focusing was not optimal so I just did not use it much.

I've been bargain hunting for some of Sony's f4 zoom lenses and they're not very heavy at all. I can fit 2 Sony bodies, 2 zooms and a small prime in a camera sling bag. On the video end, even though I don't do any serious footage (mainly of my kids), The A7III 4k is pretty nice to look at and very sharp. I have no complaints especially with the excellent focus tracking and silent focusing.

I'm near Pasadena or DTLA, if you want to grab a coffee sometime, I'm usually free during the day. I think as I mentioned, the Nikon AF adapter works best with fast primes, so this is where the value lies in owning one. In fact after shooting Nikon glass on Sony, I actually tend to appreciate Nikon rendering more now!

That sounds great.
I go to Monrovia quite a bit and then usually El Segundo after that.
The farthest north I go is Santa Maria. Yeah that's a long haul. Glad I don't have to do it all that often.
I think that might fit in perfect.
Once we get next week (Holiday Week) out of the way I'll let you know what my schedule looks like and if it can fit your schedule we can meet up somewhere.
I would like that.
I try to avoid Fridays on going to LA County just because of the traffic getting back in the late afternoon. I live in Corona about 1 mile past the Orange County line.

After checking again today to see if my local shop was taking preorders for the RX100 M6 and finding that it is not, I succumbed to temptation and placed a preorder with B&H.... :) Since they probably have a lot of preorders my camera may not be one sent out in the first shipment, but we'll see.... Since I have no idea how long it might take for the local shop to get them in stock, and I am eager for this, went the preorder route this time.

At some point I will be heading over to the shop to take a look at the A7III and to have a hands-on experience with it, and maybe that will nudge me along further when it comes to deciding on that camera body and some lenses, but for the moment, my GAS has been temporarily assuaged!

After checking again today to see if my local shop was taking preorders for the RX100 M6 and finding that it is not, I succumbed to temptation and placed a preorder with B&H.... :) Since they probably have a lot of preorders my camera may not be one sent out in the first shipment, but we'll see.... Since I have no idea how long it might take for the local shop to get them in stock, and I am eager for this, went the preorder route this time.

At some point I will be heading over to the shop to take a look at the A7III and to have a hands-on experience with it, and maybe that will nudge me along further when it comes to deciding on that camera body and some lenses, but for the moment, my GAS has been temporarily assuaged!

I did give some thought to the RX100 line.
I just like the idea of having an interchangeable lens and being able to buy an inexpensive adapter and possibly use some of my Nikon glass was just a big plus for me.
You may have a bit of a wait until the Mark 6 comes out.
In my shopping efforts I only used stores that offered a full refund policy whether it be 30 or 45 days. I have no doubts that I would return the equipment in the same condition if I decided to go that route. It will be treated very gingerly until I am 100% sure that this one is for me.
If they offered exchange only I took them off my list.
Cameta and Beach Camera both have very good return policies and excellent reviews.
I honestly do not think I will have a problem with the a7-III but I feel more secure knowing my options and do not mind trying before completely closing the deal.
Since it may be a while until you can get your hands on a Mark 6 you may want to try something else just to see whats out there. The Mark 6 comes it at a fantastic weight. Less than 1 pound. The A7 III comes in at 2 pounds with the 28-70 OSS lens kit. My D3S comes in at about 5 pounds with the 28-70 / 2.8 attached.

Last edited:
According to what I have seen, including on the B&H website, the RX100 M6 is to be released on July 10th.....so not all that far away now! As I said, I am well aware that it is likely that coming along now to place my preorder, I may well be out of the first round of shipments, which is fine, I'm not really in that big of a hurry. I have a hunch that this thing (even though it is certainly not inexpensive) is going to be in big demand for quite some time, as a lot of people who are already familiar with the RX100 series probably have been wishing, just as I had been, that the zoom range was just a bit longer.....and now it is! Great for a travel camera, among other uses. It's also kind of nice realizing that now I won't be obsessively checking my local store's website every day; I can just relax and wait for B&H to notify me that my camera is on the way....whether it's next week or three weeks or more from now....

In my mind, this fixed-lens compact camera in no way replaces a larger camera with interchangeable lenses and larger sensor, and that is why I am also still thinking about the A7III..... I have a 12" MacBook that I love but which I would never consider using as my only computer, it is in addition to my other, larger and more powerful machines; I feel the same way about the RX100. It has never been and would never be my only camera. I've had an RX100 since 2014 and have found time and again that it's a great little camera to tuck into my purse for various situations, including travel, and (ahem) at times when attending concerts..... It goes into situations where my larger cameras and their lenses, even the NEX-7, would be immediately frowned upon and regarded as intrusive. The RX100? Small, sleek, innocuous-looking, to the casual observer, oh, just another P&S.....when in reality it offers the user a larger sensor than a run-of-the-mill P&S plus so much more control than that.

You make a good point about various stores' return policies, and that is one reason that I would not order an A7III from B&H without ever having even seen or handled one, as I am familiar with their particular policy, which is more restrictive than many other retail establishments. That said, I have had good luck with them in the past, including with a laptop one time some years ago, so the need to deal with the return policy has never occurred, thank goodness. Actually, I am fortunate in that I live in an area where there are still a (very) few camera shops around where I can indeed have a hands-on experience with just about any camera and lenses in which I'm interested, and for me, that's worth a lot. I know that one of these days I'll suddenly get that itch again, GAS, which has only been temporarily quelled, will strike full-force once more and I'll find myself in the car heading to the camera shop to have a look at the A7III.....

[B&H's return policy] is more restrictive than many other retail establishments

In what ways? I've never compared their return policy to others but I find it really flexible. As an example, years ago I couldn't decide which digital projector to buy without comparing them side-by-side. To make sure I would be in the spirit of their policy, not just the facts of it, I asked them if it would be okay to order two projectors knowing I would return one. They encouraged me to do that, so I did. Seeing your comment, I wonder what I might be overlooking that I should be aware of.

If I recall correctly, they are more restrictive on returns of computers in particular. If an item is received damaged or non-functioning for some reason that is clearly the manufacturer's fault, sure, B&H would accept the return and send out a replacement or a refund, but they definitely discourage people buying a computer, trying it out for a few days and then returning it even if there is nothing wrong with it.

As is customary with many vendors, anything that is returned must be returned in pristine condition, in the original packaging with all the papers, manuals, wrapping, accessories, etc.

OK: just checked their website and it is computers in particular which they will not allow someone to open and use and then return....

NON-RETURNABLE:

• Opened TVs, combos and monitors 37" and larger — original packaging cannot be unsealed
    • Opened computers and computer software — original packaging cannot be unsealed
    • Electronic software downloads
    • Opened consumable items (e.g., film, tapes, paper, bulbs, CD, DVDs, ink cartridges, etc.)
    • Any computers built or modified by B&H to customer specifications
    • Select special-order merchandise, or any item indicated on the website as nonreturnable
    • Underwater equipment that has been submerged
    • Opened or unwrapped educational tapes and books

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
If I recall correctly, they are more restrictive on returns of computers in particular. If an item is received damaged or non-functioning for some reason that is clearly the manufacturer's fault, sure, B&H would accept the return and send out a replacement or a refund, but they definitely discourage people buying a computer, trying it out for a few days and then returning it even if there is nothing wrong with it.

As is customary with many vendors, anything that is returned must be returned in pristine condition, in the original packaging with all the papers, manuals, wrapping, accessories, etc.

OK: just checked their website and it is computers in particular which they will not allow someone to open and use and then return....

NON-RETURNABLE:

• Opened TVs, combos and monitors 37" and larger — original packaging cannot be unsealed
    • Opened computers and computer software — original packaging cannot be unsealed
    • Electronic software downloads
    • Opened consumable items (e.g., film, tapes, paper, bulbs, CD, DVDs, ink cartridges, etc.)
    • Any computers built or modified by B&H to customer specifications
    • Select special-order merchandise, or any item indicated on the website as nonreturnable
    • Underwater equipment that has been submerged
    • Opened or unwrapped educational tapes and books
I bought a computer from B&H only to realize it didn't meet my needs. I had no trouble at all returning it.

Apple has a rather generous return policy -- one can return an opened computer (including all the packaging materials) within 14 days, no questions asked, no restocking fee.... I've never needed to do that, but I do see people posting from time to time on Macrumors that they have done this, either with a computer or an iPad.....some people more than once! And, yes, sometimes computers just don't meet the buyer's needs; a few years ago a friend bought one of Apple's laptops and found that it was just too heavy and that she really wasn't comfortable using it, so she returned it and bought the smaller, lighter-weight MacBook Air instead, and that one worked out much better for her.

I've never had any problems with B&H, either with cameras or computers (bought a MacBook Pro there a few years ago because it was available in the configuration I wanted right then so no need to wait for a CTO from Apple). It was then that I became aware of the return policy, and thought, "boy, I hope this computer is just fine and dandy and that I'm happy with it!" It was and I was..... :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom