considering that Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, please help

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nuteshack, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

would love to see some sample photos and hear some opinions of this glass...i currrently don't have a macro in my kit and with the rebates they having going right now i can pick up a new one for under $400 so i'm obviously tempted .....:biggrin:

2. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    It is as good as anything out there. Buy without hesitation apart from deciding whether you like the fl or want something longer like 105 or shorter as the case may be.

3. Ciao Nuteshack
    nice to see you again here. :)
    I have the Tamron and I feel satisfied of it. As other lenses, remember that even if it's officially a F2.8 (at infinite) while focusing closer the lens will give you at most F3-F4 depending on the distance and the amount of barrel extension.
    I did only few macro shots and I'll post the link below, but, aside from that, you can see a large quantity of images here:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/tamron/sp_af_di_90_28_macro

as you will see, all the ones having it are satisfied or enthusiasts. As for me, here's the link I promised you about my few shots:

http://italy74.smugmug.com/gallery/2591095

Notice that I have never done any macro shots before than now.

4. I also have one and I'm very happy with it. A few of my pics are here

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Dayo ..i think 90mm is just fine,,wouldn't want any shorter:biggrin:

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

and good to see u Italy:smile:
    ..nice photos ...that pbase site about made me dizzy with all the samples ..lol
    :cool:

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ty Daniel ..well i did it ...went ahead and placed my order with canogacamera.com,,,$481.50 shipping included, such a deal. after the rebate that will put me in it $391.50, can't go wrong at this price...:Love:

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

how does that work exactly?
    ..i thought u have 2.8 all the way through?
    :confused:

9. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    another place to look is beachcamera.com. I saw that lens for $449 - $90 rebate ($359) and free shipping.

I too was looking at this lens and was about to pull the trigger but I walked in to my local store and they had a used Nikon 85 1.8 at a good price so I bought it instead. I am happy with this lens although I do sometimes wish I had macro. Oh well, another reason to look at more lenses.... :eek:)

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ya Ray, seen that buydig/beech deal (the free shipping takes a week or more to get here) but i've dealt with canoga before and their sevice is second to none and they're not rude ..lol

11. Hi Nuteshack, don't worry, other lenses do the same. Here's a review about the Nikkor AF 105 micro (old version)

http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/105-micro/

Scroll down till here:
    As Philip Greenspun explains in his review of the 60mm Micro-Nikkor, the Nikon system computes and displays the effective aperture. If you set the aperture ring to the maximum aperture of f/2.8 and turn the focussing ring to the minimum distance, the camera will display f/5 and use that number when determining exposure. Note that this is intended and correct behaviour and certainly not a malfunction.

The Tamron does the same.
    Maybe only the newer Nikkor AF 105 VR maintain the effective F2.8 aperture.
    All other lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina) should behave in the same way. Conversely, another lens keeping the F2.8 is the Sigma 150 F2.8 EX DG HSM (a very well known and appreciated lens)
    Notice that in macro use, you may not need such shallow depth of field. Being extremely close to your subject (it's always a matter of inches...) I found the first aperture to be useful around F8. Going down means reduce greatly your dof and so the whole shot is risky.

All the best and good luck

12. I was debating whether or not to get the Tamrom 90 di a few months back. I ended up getting a 60mm micro because it was a good deal. It is my only macro lens but it is amazing how sharp it is.

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ty Italy....:smile:

14. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    I replaced my nikkor 105 with a tamron 90. The tamron is lighter and has much better bokeh, imho.

[​IMG]

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow that's nice, very nice ....that's some kind of endorsement:eek:
    ..should have mine tomorrow or thurs ...can't wait:biggrin:

16. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Hi Nuteshack,

Are u starting a glass collection? Enjoy the lens in good health and no need to tell u not to use ur macro on ladies!!

Take care my friend.

17. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

Just bought mine today...

18. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Get one you won't regret it!
    f9-1.

f23-1.

f28-1.

19. Doit. Do it, you know you want to....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]