Considering the D700 - D300/D700 AF is main question...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Joe Marques, Aug 19, 2008.

1. I have a deal for the D700 that is probably too good to pass up (it's a one time thing so I have no sources to share for additional purchases, sorry).

I'm mainly considering it for the supposedly superior AF to the D300 and obvious high ISO performance.

So for those of you who have compared it to the D300, how is the AF tracking? Is it really that much better?

2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I find AF tracking to be excellent for my needs. I do find it to be superior to the D300. If you found a good deal, I would snatch it up! Look at my post in Lens Lust of the bridge jumper and see how nicely he was tracked, albeit my post only shows 2 images in action, I caught more than that, but those were the ones I posted.

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I was tracking RC helicopters last night with the D700 and the D300...I'd say the D700 is just as good if not better than the D300. Although I did have an AF-S lens on the D700 and just an AF-D on the D300...the D700 does seem a bit more responsive.

4. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    When using single point they are about the same.

With 51 point, closest object the D700 can lock faster. I don't think there is a big difference though.

5. Respectfully, I think there's bigger differences than AF performance which should be considered. Namely the FX/DX thing. Yes, FX is great and it gets us back to where we were with film but DX has it's place too. I see FX excelling at wide angles, DX excelling with long reach but in between both formats work. Choose your weapon accordingly, and with what works best with your lenses. OTOH, if you need high ISO performance then the D700 stands out.

6. Thanks for all the comments. I guess the unanswered question for me is whether the D700 definitively shares 2 processors like the D3 and thus superior AF performance in the real world. Sounds like it's at least as good but I'm not sure it's better given the feedback in this thread. The IQ is clearly the biggest draw given how clean ISO 6400 is for low light portraits and sports (2 important needs) so I think I know what to do. D300 is going on the for sale forum. :tongue:

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Congrats, Joe! You'll be very pleased :smile: