Critique Construction Guy

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I was walking up Lexington Ave on my way home and crossed 30th St, which was closed to traffic.
There was a man managing construction traffic and we struck up an intermittent conversation. He was usually a welder working at height but just picking up some odd hours managing the influx of vehicles.
In 15 minutes I learned a lot about welding, particularly on building superstructure and we swapped stories about today's youth. I asked if I could take a photo and he agreed.

Sony 6500 28 mm, 7.1, 1/640 iso 600

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Andy
I was walking up Lexington Ave on my way home and crossed 30th St, which was closed to traffic.
There was a man managing construction traffic and we struck up an intermittent conversation. He was usually a welder working at height but just picking up some odd hours managing the influx of vehicles.
In 15 minutes I learned a lot about welding, particularly on building superstructure and we swapped stories about today's youth. I asked if I could take a photo and he agreed.

Sony 6500 28 mm, 7.1, 1/640 iso 600

View attachment 1635631
Lew,
This is a very nice account of a real life moment, and a nice capture of a man doing honest work. The oncoming truck adds some urgency, and counters his relaxed stance nicely. Even without your well-written copy, the photograph is very journalistic; it follows the motto "f/8 and Be There" quite well. Presuming that was your intent, kudos!

Take the following with a grain of salt (I am by no means a street photographer): An alternative composition that might have been interesting to the viewer would have been to step to the right slightly so that the truck didn't overlap, open up the aperture a bit to isolate the subject from his background, and have a side view of the truck in the right side of the frame. That would place some orange (from the construction info sign) on the left third of the frame, the subject in center, and the red (of the truck) on the right third.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Andy, thanks for taking the time to look and to comment.

Your framing suggestions may well have been a real improvement.

Lew

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom