Constructive Criticism Needed: Shots Of 6-Month Old Olivia

I'm going to be doing a few free jobs for families in my neighborhood as a trade-off for putting up sample shots and contact info in their businesses and getting the pics posted on their FaceBook accounts.

I took advantage of a half-day at work yesterday and decided to take an hour and grab some 6-month-old photos of my niece Olivia to help me get back into the swing of things.

Now I need some constructive criticism and ideas on how to make them better! I want the shots I take for the neighbors to be as good as possible. Their shots will probably also be more varied than these in terms of the "look" of the shots, because they have older children who are much more capable of doing more than just sit-up in the grass.

Any thoughts, suggestions, critiques or comments on anything like processing, composition, lighting, etc. are welcome.

Thanks!
Ann

Olivia-2-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Olivia-8-L.jpg

Olivia-9-L.jpg

Olivia-14-L.jpg

5. I wish I hadn't chopped her legs off in this one, but I was more concerned with getting the smile than the composition at the time I took it.
Olivia-16-L.jpg

Olivia-19-L.jpg

Olivia-20-L.jpg

8. I wish she didn't have Piglet in this one, but she was getting cranky and needed a toy to keep the smile on.
Olivia-24-L.jpg

9. The white-balance here seems a little off on my work computer (greenish/yellow tint). Does it look this way to anyone else? I'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now.
Olivia-25-L.jpg

10. Not a huge fan of the bulbous-looking head that I got from using my Sigma 30 too close up, so probably won't do this again.
Olivia-29-L.jpg

Olivia-30-L.jpg

Olivia-32-L.jpg

Ann! These are wonderful! I would just say you might want to warm them up a little bit. They feel a little bit cool. Otherwise, perfect!

Ann! These are wonderful! I would just say you might want to warm them up a little bit. They feel a little bit cool. Otherwise, perfect!

Thanks, Mike!

I was shooting in the middle of the afternoon and sat her in the shade to avoid any weird shadows or hotspots and I think that contributed to them being a bit on the cool side. I didn't do much in the way of post-processing except a crop here or there and some desaturation of the grass because it way too green, so I'll warm them up a bit tonight to see how they look.

I agree - these are really nice! They do seem a bit cool, as Mike noted. I will say that I prefer the background being all green (eg 3, 4, 7, 8) to the ones where you can see the fence (eg, 1, 2).

Overall, though, really nice job.

The focus is spot on. The eyes look great. I'd love to see them warmed up a bit too.

You have some nice shots here...however, your white balance seems to be off...too cool.

image 9 where you ask about white balance is not white balance issue is a colour cast issue by the looks of it, the green from the grass is likely, reflector on ground can avoid the issue

Real Name
Carl
Great photos! Cute!
If you were in the shade, the "Shade" color-balance should help with the slight "coolness", and IMO, they look a tad overexposed...about -.5 (1/2 stop) exposure compensation should help.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom