1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Contact Lens Questions/Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim Strathearn, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I just started wearing contacts in June and I like the concept. I've been wearing glasses since the third grade and after all these years, I can finally say that I own a pair of cool shades! :cool: 

But I do have some questions/concerns/problems. I am a bifocal lens wearer and the Accuvue multi-focal lenses I tried are just weird... So, I'm in single vision lenses and wear reading glasses to see up close. No biggie as my vision isn't all that bad; I can read the dashboard and radio in the car just fine, can read my wristwatch, etc. w/o the reading glasses. Just need them for fine print, and to chimp...

Anyway, I go home with the initial pair of free lenses and all is well. I'm amazed how much clearer they are then glasses, at least for me. I then get into the box of lenses I paid for and something is awry with my right eye. I can see clearly for a few minutes, then things get fuzzy. Eventually my eye gets irritated to the point where I have to remove the lens. Frankly, I had some problems at first understanding which was way the correct side out, etc., but even after I got past that, I had the same issues. Finally, while out of town, I put a lens from my left eye into my right eye and bingo, all is well. (Each eye has a different strength prescription...) I wear them that way for a week then go back to have my prescription updated. The eye doctor tells me that I should see better with the initial prescription but seeing how the strengths are so close, he didn't have a problem changing it for me. So, I finish out that initial box of lenses and all is well; no more irritation, etc. and I can see sharp as a tack.

Tonight I open up a new box of lenses and the left eye is fine but the right eye is now fuzzy... Long distances are fine (the lens is a bit stronger then the initial prescription) but things like the license plate of the vehicle in front of me are not clear, although they used to be.

So, my questions are these:

Is it normal to have variances between boxes of lenses? I'm wondering if making these just isn't an exact science and one can expect slight differences between boxes.

Has anyone else had this problem/situation? Can it be the diameter of the lens is different for my right eye then my left eye? (Or whatever those other two numbers on the box signify...)

I am bound and determined to make these work. I just need to know if what I'm seeing is normal or not...

TIA!!!

2. I have never experienced differences between different lenses. There are various lens specifications, so they are made pretty exactly. You might want to mention it to your eye doctor again. Perhaps the prescription isn't correct? (Each eye is different) I hope this helps! :biggrin:

3. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I have been wearing contacts for about 13 years or so

never ever have I experienced variances b/w boxes, nor have I had trouble adjusting to a new script

the ONLY time Ive had problems with contacts is when I switched brands one time, it irritated my eye...but some antibiotic drops and a different brand fixed that little issue

I was going to assume you had it in inside out, but you said you had that figured out

4. I've never had an issue between boxes like that. I'd go back to the eye doctor and see what they have to say.

5. I have been wearing contacts for about 20 years (just had to add reading glasses this year) and I have, from time to time, had a bad lens, but not that I couldn't have mishandled it...

my general rule is to always have a spare set handy, and change out if I have even a tickle- trying to ride it out can result in a seriously irritated eyeball. Some brands seem do seem to work better for the indiviual user, no matter what your optomitrist may say.

Lawrence

6. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Dear Jim

Do you have astigmatism, and are the contacts correcting for it?

7. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

One issue you may ask him is the size of your eye. I can only wear a specific brand of contact because its the only one that makes a radius small enough for my eye. I tried the oh so fabulous oasis and they were awful, always watery and irritating my eye. Turned out it was moving around too much because it was way too big for my eye. I wonder if one eye may not be a bit different in size then the other. You may want to ask for samples of a different brand or a daily contact instead. Get a ton of samples to keep trying until you find the right one.

8. Thanks Sonya...

Thanks Lawrence. My daughter wears Pro Clears and swears by them. Maybe I should try another brand... Thanks!

Yes, I have a mild astigmatism and no, the contacts are not correcting for it. My eye doctor tells me that they are just as bad as bifocal contacts...

9. Thanks Liv. I am wearing the Oasis lens. My eye doctor calls it his "go to" lens... I asked him about pro clears and he said they were too thin, would tear easily, yada yada. I think I'm going to go back. My daughter had an issue with lens size. May it's heriditary...

10. BTW - I love having contacts. No more foggy glasses lenses while photographing in the humidity... :biggrin:

11. Just one silly thing to check: make sure the offending lens isn't in inside-out. They cup each way, but when put in wrong they lips curve weirdly and irritate the eye. They other thing to check is the solution. I have had some solutions cause bad irritation and switching fixed that immediately.

12. OK. Thanks Mike.

13. pgreen7436

pgreen7436 Guest

Jim,
    I know it sounds simple but make sure the contact isn't 'inside-out'. When I put mine in for the first hour or so, my vision isn't what I would want it to be, have to work to focus. By the time I'm at work I can see clearly. I however have to use reading glasses to see the computer screen or my watch since my prescription is for distance. One thing you might consider too is mono vision where one is for close up and one for distance, this does away with the reading glasses or multi-focal lenses but takes a while to get used to.

14. Thanks. I did have problems with inside-out lenses in the beginning but I think I've got a handle on that now. I have found that my vision gets better after a while but with my last box of lenses, it was instantly good. I think I must have something going on with the one eye that makes it a "tweener" or something. Maybe I need a different size lens, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

15. Yikes! I must have typed that with my contacts inside out. I do know the difference between "the" and "they"...I swear. :redface:

Hope you figure it out.

16. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Eeek! That darn oasis! I think they get more money for suggesting them just like doctors and their "fav" meds! LOL! Good luck!

17. Update

The eye doctor gave me some O2 Optics lenses to try. They are suposed to be thinner and fit a bit looser. So far, so good, but I guess only time will tell... :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.