Contemporary Flower

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by beaucamera, Sep 25, 2005.

1. This image involves the uses several PS tools: layers, curves, smart objects, the polar coordinate filter and blending. No drawing was involved just image manipulation. The result I call, "Contemporary Flower."

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

This is the image I started from. It a great Atlantic pumpkin that probably weighs several hundred pounds.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Very interesting Virginia! Your work straddles the line between photography and digital art. This piece in particular, is so far removed from the original image, I wonder if nearly any image could be used for a similar final image. What is the relationship between the initial image and the final one?

Please don't take this as criticism of your work - it's curiosity and wonder. Two of my favorite painters are Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollack. Your expressionism is of the same school, and is unique in the world of large format digital photography.

3. Chris, you could layer, rotate and resize image layers and probably create a flower just as I have. The actual pattern in the layer (which is a repeated image), however, is unique to the image.

Does this answer your question?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah. So on what level - or just how - is the original image important to the final one? I definately see different colors in the final vs the starting image. So do the patterns of color change a lot iwhen the initial image is changed?

5. No. The colors you see here were altered with the Nik multimedia Color Pro 2.0 filters. I created several version and then started out with one that had a lot of bright pink magenta in it. It ended up being too harsh for my taste so I used the PS image adjustment "replace color" to modify the color until I achieved the color range for the final image. I think I duplicated the image and merged the visible layers before I did this last step.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Interesting effect....pretty cool :smile:

7. Virginia your work is way out there but interesting. Sort of amazing what one can do if they put their mind to it. I like your pumpkin image. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Another great piece of creative work Virginia. :smile: