Contraptions: ingenious or weird . . .

You are very kind . . . but totally wrong:
:)
My Contraptions are merely "Lash-ups" while most of those shown in this thread are fully-engineered and properly-built constructions!

I borrowed Retief's idea and added a camera slider to my shooting window at my house.
[\QUOTE]

Looks slick, Jerry. You just made the "tie-downs" at the ends yourself, correct? I like that idea a lot, beats my method of attaching from the bottom. Think I will make that change to mine. I love collaboration!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
They look just fine to me, Nick, not even a bit wet ;)

(ah, the joys of "edit")
Quite nice, Bill! Hubby has been wanting to build something like this for me since every time I carry camera+500/f4+gimbal over my shoulder I complain about bruises and soreness for several days! Does it collapse to a smaller footprint for putting in the truck, etc?

Monster Macroscope
A few years ago I spent some time contriving and constructing my first Monster Macroscope.
I gather from Bob that these lash-up Contraptions of mine provided the inspiration for him to build the truly professional optical-bench-based Macroscope which he showed earlier in this thread.
you are in fact correct Ann.. You told me to just go out and do it. so i bought a stackshot rail and some finite conjugate objectives.

my first setups looked more like this.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

my first infinity corrected objective - Mitutoyo M-Plan

before that i was hopelessly struggling.

Last edited:
ann you will also remember we found a use for the 4x5 view cameras as well

We did indeed!
But I soon discovered that my top-of-the-line lenses for my 5x4 were not up to par when used on a FX DSLR and compared to Nikon's modern optics.
Zerene Stacking is a better solution.

Last edited:
pragmatics quickly drove me to microscope objectives... or not so quickly..

another try for high mag.. this time using luminars

Quite nice, Bill! Hubby has been wanting to build something like this for me since every time I carry camera+500/f4+gimbal over my shoulder I complain about bruises and soreness for several days! Does it collapse to a smaller footprint for putting in the truck, etc?
Just be sure you get a stroller that has quick disconnect wheels and a folding handle. I throw the wheels is a big huge Zip lock bag, as they get dirty, bungee the rest together and away it goes. This is also why I have the back aluminum hangars made with flat stock with just wing nuts at the bottom on the flat part. The front part I just drilled holes and use pins to hold that in place. Works great.

If you need better pictures, or further info, just let me know.

early attempt with the finite objective Nikon Plan 4X NA 0.13 160/- after Ann's inspiration.

wax flower - real flower variety by the way.. not wax

Bob very cleverly deconstructed an old 200m lens so that he can use its barrel as the right length of extension tube which is needed for the superb Mitutoyo metallurgic infinity corrected microscope objectives which he uses.
It is a little surprising that Nikon have never made an F-mount 200 mm tube for microscopy.

My Contraptions are merely "Lash-ups" while most of those shown in this thread are fully-engineered and properly-built constructions!
Like mine!!! :D

Camera Controller Goes Walk-about

A dismally dull and grey morning and Crocuses (which needed to be photographed before they got flattened by the impending storm) led to the creation of this very useful tool.

Here we have an iPad gripped in the jaws of the extremely versatile and most useful CaddieBuddy clamping system.

The clamp’s Gorilla-pod-type foot is threaded and is screw-mounted onto Manfrotto’s #166 Flash Bracket — which also supports a Nikon SB-900 Speedlight.

Now for the magic touch:

The iPad is using CamRanger software to communicate by its own WiFi network with, and control all the settings on, a distant camera (which could be anywhere within 150 feet from the iPad).

Mounted into the hot-shoe on the camera is Yong Nuo’s YN-266N-TX radio transmitter;

The SB-900 is attached to a responding Yong Nuo YN-266 Radio receiver.

Having set the camera up among the crocuses on a tripod for a worm’s eye view, all I had to do was to move around with my new Walk-about Flash-Bracket; view the scene in Live View on the iPad (where I could also set all of the camera’s controls and the focusing point); and trigger the shutter by hitting the Capture button on the iPad from wherever I happen to be standing.

The shutter triggers the YongNuo Transmitter which simultaneously fires the Speedlight on the Walk-About Flash-bracket — in addition to any other off-camera flashes which I may have set up.

Behold: Crocuses backlit by brilliant “sunshine” while the dull cloudy ambient light provided the perfect Fill.

A variation on this idea provides the perfect large-format LiveView viewfinder for product shots or macros.

These pictures show a Wimberley jointed arm (attached to the Arca-swiss plate on the camera) supporting the iPad.

A pair of Bowen’s double-ended Multiclips have been clipped onto the iPad to support its front cover so that it can act as a sunshade for the screen in bright out-doors light.

The iPad is running the CamRanger software which, in this particular case, is driving not only the camera settings but is also programming and driving the Cognisys StackShot Rail.

(CamRanger also sells a motorised tripod-head (which can also be controlled from an iPad) but I don’t own the one of those although it would be useful.)

The iPad could, in fact, be positioned anywhere within the WiFi and YN radio-transmitter range of the camera; and the CaddieBuddy system includes both a very effective clamping-foot and a strap which could buckle the iPad to any handy support or be hung around the photographer’s neck.

The CamRanger WiFi unit sits in its pouch (which is hooked onto the camera) and it is connected by a cable to CamRanger’s new Hub which, in turn, connects to the StackShot Control box.

In this set-up, I clamped an Arca-swiss style plate to the underside of the StackShot’s Rail assembly and fixed the StackShot Control box to it with two rubber bands.

Wow, all kinds of fantastic creations for problem solving. I don't think this is ingenious but it was fun putting the parts together. My macro creation..

OK, so I have a very serious question here, Ann, about all this remote, Wi-Fi, camera triggering and such. We all have heard about the PETA law suit, if you use this Cam Ranger stuff to trigger your camera, then does Cam Ranger own the copyright ....

:eek: Oh, my, if THAT ain't a silly stretch what the heck is!

I have actually toyed with the idea of using something like the Cam Ranger bits for setting a camera up near back yard bird perches, and then triggering from inside the house. It could certainly help with angles and points of view you could not easily get otherwise, as well as dealing with subjects that are very skittish.

Nice bits, for sure.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom