Contrast Control on D200

I will show my ignorance and ask a stupid question. I hear a lot of talk about adjusting the contrast on tne d200. Is the contrqst control the same as saturation? Sorry for the dumb question.

I believe contrast is the same as tone compensation. I usually keep it on less contrast as it keeps highlights more in line and is easier to work with in PP. I shoot NEF, and I can see the differences using Capture NX and higher contrast can really obscure detail, IMHO. Others may know better.

Hi Ron,

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but there is no dumb question! If you don't know, chances are others would like to know also :)

I believe contrast is the same as tone compensation. I usually keep it on less contrast as it keeps highlights more in line and is easier to work with in PP. I shoot NEF, and I can see the differences using Capture NX and higher contrast can really obscure detail, IMHO. Others may know better.

That's the right answer. I, too, usually have set it to less contrast, but found out that the Auto Contrast setting does a pretty good job as well.

Cheers

You also want to keep Saturation down for people shots, especially fair skinend redheads, too much Saturation makes the skin tones too red. I like high Saturation for flowers.

If you are shooting raw-you can change it later in NX or PS. Lower tone compensation(contrast) is much preferred for capturing detail in wildlife with fur and feathers. Landscapes may look better with higher contrast.

If you are shooting JPEG, you may want to set as needed (a pain) or use auto setting where the camera decides right or wrong for you.

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried the lower tone compensation today and was pretty pleased with the results. They can be seen in the sports forum under "Youth Soccer".

Thanks

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom