1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Controversy time the 85/1.8 is as good as the 85/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Candidcameraman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. on the D3... Sorry tried it today and ... the infamy!!! I spent more than I should have for the same focal length :wink:

In all honesty the blurry background and subject would have been the same high smoothness and IQ with the 1.4 but... what do I know... Let the vilifications begin... But before you do, look at this image, 85/1.8 at 1.8 on the D3 in the background not that you'd notice but it is a busy city street... And is that a sharp portrait with the smoothness in all the right places, huh! :eek:  Yea shocking to me first and foremost - the 85/1.8 is as good as the 85/1.4 sorry to disappoint (Me mainly...)

_D3B6046.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. ah...
    enjoy your controversial stance

maybe... just maybe i WON'T trade in my 85/1.8 for the 85/1.4

3. Good cause I won't trade my 85/1.4 for your 85/1.8 :wink: But maybe Tristan will, that's him in the picture :biggrin:

And that was his 1.8 I tried he he he

4. Never heard of him...

5. sergeantcigar

sergeantcigar

Jan 3, 2007
    USA
    The differences between the two really come out when you have small bright highlights, or bright/dark complex patterns in the background. When you have to shoot in those situations, the 1.4 shines.

I once shot some portraits with a grass field and parked cars in the background on a sunny day. The results were excellent with the 1.4. No one could ever guess what the background was. I also have the 1.8, and I know it would not have been as good.

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    All I want is a 85 f.18 AF-S

7. Hum... Not sure if Canon sells it on a Nikon mount... :tongue::wink:

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    *perks* Oh? 85 1.8L AF-S? sounds good to me.

9. Don't let me stop ya, the 5D's are very affordable now a days specially since the D300 and D3 came out :rolleyes:  Kidding aside I wish Nikon had a 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 AFS like Canon has (Actually not like Canon but same spec just with Nikon superior design :rolleyes:  and glass :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  :wink:) 

10. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    That's what I'm saying! lol.. no thanks, I'll stick with my lowly D300. :biggrin: I killed the AF on a Canon 50 1.8 in one year. I'll stick with my Nikons!

11. LOL

12. thx, I just bought John's 1.4 and sold my 1.8
    but it's heavier so it's gotta be better, right ?

13. No, it is heavier cause it has more glass in it :biggrin: Does it mean it is better - I gained 40 pounds in a little over a year, I am now heavier than a year ago, does that make me better :wink::biggrin: Just ribbing ya but I feel like I spent $700 more than I should have for very similar results (Actually, pssssst *whispering* that shot above with the 1.8 is a better picture than any I have ever captured with the 1.4 ... that was shocking to me so... I thought I'd share my new found observations - as such going forward my answer to all 1.8 vs. 1.4 debate will be "Splitting hairs" :wink:) 

14. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    Sorry Dude but to be the professional model you must be heavier and faster and if you are like me, I think you may be heavier and slower. Ribbing aside it is better at 1.4. everywhere else probably very close. I like lighter so lighter and maybe slower is better for some. And lighter lenses make me faster......

15. Good point :biggrin:

16. Considering that you may have proven I wasted $1000 on the 1.4 version, I should count myself lucky that all I'm getting is a red X.

Unfortunately, that's true for every image hosted by photobucket.com. I can't access their homepage or anything from their site.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

17. Well,
    personally I think they are both superb lenses. I sold my 85 1.8, but have rented the 85 1.4 from lensrentals.com for I do believe 60 bucks for the week. My buddy who is full time wedding photogs main lens is his Canon 85 1.2. I wonder if Nikon will be updating their 85mm to a 1.2? After printing some of his wedding pics for him I noticed that he will have the subjects yes parallel with the lens so both eyes will be in focus and he only shoots it wide open. 385 dollars for an 85 1.8 is bargain in my book.
    Kevin P.

18. What do you use to surf the web, Explorer, Firefox, Safari? That's a bummer but I have no idea why you are getting a red x ... But no, the 1.4 is worth it but the 1.8 is just as good IMHO for what I shoot - having the 1.4 and being paid for - I'll keep it for a few years - plus it is the second copy I buy in less than two years...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sorry Dude..but i see nothing compelling about this photo regaurdless of the lens used. and further more, to make any claims by it is just plain silly!!! .....(IMHO)

85 1.4 ->

2128739570_f6b099fca9_o.jpg

1768521115_0595d9ea15_o.jpg

2543305184_f254eccf62_o.jpg

2475523904_9c3aabbb65_o.jpg

2475392228_df26b5b6cd_o.jpg

2504210526_e0424f8d33_o.jpg

:Smoking:

20. Nute, would it be possible to post these photos pre-processing? The Dude's photo was unprocessed, apart from watermark - I don't feel it's an even competition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.