1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Controversy time the 85/1.8 is as good as the 85/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Candidcameraman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Omg...

augh, Augh! AUGH!!! It is a competition ... dude I didn't know - I'll need to borrow your 1.8 tonight ... I have a little something in mind...

Nute - my comment was tongue in cheek - yea the 1.4 is better but how much better is it really versus the 1.8..? That's the debate I'd love to see here on the lens lust forum - I can afford a 1.4 some can't and is it worth that much more $$ Yes, I would like to, and, think so but just how much better is it really - I'll take a few more pics tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  2. Diminishing returns is at play here I suspect.

3. Quite possibly the opposite is what i'm guessing.

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

what's the point? you're better off with an old push/pull 80-200 2.8 set @85 than the 85 1.8...i owned the lens, it offers NOTHING special, imho.

the only thing is has in common with the 85 1.4 is the same focal length, that's it.
    :eek: 

5. Darn! These are good!! I especially like the 2nd and the last.

Craig

6. showoff !
    now that's why I just got one of these
    #1 & #2 are frankly beyond words and if you can do that with the 1.8 as well I'll still be happy with my 1.4

7. LOL
    PP is not gonna make this a horse race, trust me

8. Bad NUTE!! BAD BAD NUTE!!! You've got me this close > < to going up and waking a napping 3yr old to drag her outside for a photo session. Have you any clue what a terrible idea that is?! Hmmm.........perhaps I can find a way to force-sit the 11wk old?!?!

BAD NUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin: :tongue:

9. good (for me not U) cause i need to see a 1.4 shot on the eyes....oh please...even the dog will do

10. Hahaha, ok, I'll take a dog outside. :smile:

Or better yet, if yer brave, the 85 and the kids and I will be in Fort Mill next Tuesday.....YOU come wake them up! :tongue: :biggrin: :tongue:

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nothing does SKIN like the 85 1.4!

@1.4
    2383698983_a9caf89aa1_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:Love:

12. Tell me about it. I've got the 85/1.4, and I'm pretty good at Photoshop. I can't come close to Nute's portraits. He's a master craftsman.

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Be careful with statements like that. It can be painful.:biggrin:

14. you really should go BIFing with me this time
    there should be some Ospreys still in the nests

[​IMG]

15. That is just a mind-blowing shot Randy! Did you duck immediately afterwards?! :eek:  :smile:

I think the 300 is staying home. I'm hiking through a plane change in Laguardia by myself (with the kids). Weight will be a factor. The 80-200 + TC may travel..........haven't decided yet. :smile:

Ok, here is a dog shot for you. Excuse his collars and the fence post growing outta his right ear. :smile:

Xcel at f/1.4
    99484911.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here's a day lily at f/1.4 :smile:
    View attachment 216754

16. Is it true that Nute has his shutter finger right eye insured by Lloyd's of London?

17. Heya Dude :smile:
    Two words: No way

18. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Whats in that focal range'ish that is cheap(under 400-500) for a prime(or zoom and then bump the price accordingly) that is comparable to the 85/1.4 in everyones professional opinion?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.