Controversy time the 85/1.8 is as good as the 85/1.4

Whats in that focal range'ish that is cheap(under 400-500) for a prime(or zoom and then bump the price accordingly) that is comparable to the 85/1.4 in everyones professional opinion?

the most similar lens (in terms of rendition) that i can think of is the Noct-Nikkor.

Having had both versions of the Canon 85 f1.2L, I like my Nikkor 85 f1.4 better...why??
It focuses faster and more accurately and the 1/3 stop becomes a moot point. Plus, my wallet
is now a bit fatter. :biggrin:

Whats in that focal range'ish that is cheap(under 400-500) for a prime(or zoom and then bump the price accordingly) that is comparable to the 85/1.4 in everyones professional opinion?

The 85/1.8, which can be found for around $300 in good used condition, or the 80-200/2.8 zoom, for around $700. Both can render sharp, contrasty images.

Heya Dude :smile:
Two words: No way

Okay okay I surrender... to your opinion and Nute's fine examples ... Hey Nute how do you manage to get such great images and what are your camera settings when doing portraiture with the 1.4 ... i.e. All the settings you use - be it metering, focus, WB, etc, etc, and the light - any flash or strobes... Thanks

The 85/1.8, which can be found for around $300 in good used condition, or the 80-200/2.8 zoom, for around $700. Both can render sharp, contrasty images.

Ha... HA! That's the point I was trying to make and that the 1.8 background blur is pretty darn fine in the right condition... :smile:

Why splurge for the 1.4 and break the bank when you can't afford to when the 1.8 is (almost) as good as the 1.4 ... Same thing goes for the 70-200/VR vs. the 80-200/2.8 :biggrin:

As far as bokeh is concerned, I think the Sigma 150 f2.8 APO Macro is absolutely beautiful. It's $599.

fucia2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

N

Nuteshack

Okay okay I surrender... to your opinion and Nute's fine examples ... Hey Nute how do you manage to get such great images and what are your camera settings when doing portraiture with the 1.4 ... i.e. All the settings you use - be it metering, focus, WB, etc, etc, and the light - any flash or strobes... Thanks

Ha... HA! That's the point I was trying to make and that the 1.8 background blur is pretty darn fine in the right condition... :smile:

Why splurge for the 1.4 and break the bank when you can't afford to when the 1.8 is (almost) as good as the 1.4 ... Same thing goes for the 70-200/VR vs. the 80-200/2.8 :biggrin:

i'm sure you'll find various settings with all those pix...all available light..;-)

Some people can't see (actually, don't notice) the unique signature of the Cream Machine while others don't place a high value on selective focus and softly rendered backgrounds. There's no way of explaining the appeal of the 85/1.4 to them, and no reason they should consider buying one.

Then there are those of us operating on limited budgets. Despite the fact that people pics are my passion, it took me a year of deliberation before I could bring myself to push the buy button. I think of it as a luxury, and describe it as a vanity piece... but it's actually paid for itself by producing pictures that have enhanced my portfolio and landed me jobs.

For a photographer's feast, the 85/1.4 isn't the meat or potatoes. It's the Crème Brûlèe.

creme-brule-ck-1065553-x.jpg

Photo courtesy of www.myrecipes.com

very good points one and all.
I got one recently and am still learning, it's NOT the easiest of lenses as is like a laser beam with it's acuracy and range.
I have had comments, "nice shot but the face is outta focus" , well that's what I bought the Cream Machine for! Sheesh;

example;

315736837_4sN2a-L.jpg

I am fortunate enough to have some real nice glass now (the Beast and Cream Machine directly creditted to Uncle Frank, dunno wether to thank ya or curse due to bank account lol) but a lens like the 85 f/1.4 is a VERY pro tool, not to be taken lightly but when used well it's AMAZING!
Nick

again, I have ALOT to learn with this lens but adore it's attributes thus far.

TY Nute.
I fully admit my first shoot was NOT a success with The Cream Machine. I was too awestruck by it's DOF and over did it :)
But slowly I am learning it's ways :)
I don't see another way of doing this and this lens contributes to my artistic bent with it's attributes like NO other. Now my Beast is STILL my fave lens for 70% of the time but the 70-200 f/2.8 and Cream machine are vying for second with the Cream Machine winning right now :)
I am yet to put it through it's paces with the D2x I just bought (had to do it for price, Pro body and skin tones, ahhhh!) but have HIGH hopes!

Unrelated but boy does it irk me when some have said, but so and so is'nt in focus, good pic otherwise! LOL. I try and create Images, NOT pics and the right tools help greatly with this. Guess some just never will get it, their loss :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom