Conundrum Solved! BR Strap and L Blacket

Conundrum solved, at least for me. Plus, I had a very good experience with a vendor and and would like to share that with you…

For a while I’ve had a love/hate relationship with the current camera strap on my D300s. It’s a Black Rapid RS-7 Curve. I really like the way it works, especially how the camera hangs to my side and how I can quickly bring it to ready position. It’s better than any strap I’ve tried and like a lot of you, I think I've tried most of them. But it’s such a pain to remove the BR eyelet and screw on an Arca-Swiss style plate every time I need to use a tripod. It had gotten to the point that sometimes I avoided using my tripod, or I didn't have the plate and/or allen wrench. Also, I had been wanting an L bracket but kept putting off getting getting one.

I've read here and elsewhere of the various ways people have solved this BR strap/Arca-Swiss plate issue but I’ve just not cared for any of those methods. Not that they are bad, I just didn’t see them working for me. So I set out to build my own “mouse trap”.

First I tried to adapt a BR FastenR R1 eyelet (meant forthe Manfrotto plates) to an Arca-Swiss style plate by grinding the under side of the plate. That made for a weakened plate that I didn't trust. Then I got the idea to to attach the BR FastenR eyelet to an L plate. I searched long and hard for an L plate that had a solid corner or at least enough “meat” in the right spot for me to drill and tap it to screw on the BR eyelet. I just couldn’t find the bvan L bracket that met the right criteria. But the other day I was searching again on the net and came across a product I hadn’t seen before. It was a two piece L bracket built by a guy named Hejnar out of Illinois (USA). Searching the 'Cafe I came to realize that some of you knew and were impressed with some of the Hejnar Photo products so I thought I might try his L bracket. This is the Hejnar L bracket for the D300. It's made in two pieces.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OK, this looked promising. I thought that maybe the screw hole that bound the two pieces together might accommodate the BR eyelet. At least then I would only have to remove the eyelet when I needed to use the side plate for shooting in portrait position. So I filled out the web form on the Hejnar Photo "Contact Us" page, asking if the L bracket connecter screw was ¼-20 threaded.

It was quite late on a Friday night when I did this and I remember thinking I wouldn’t hear from him until the next week. well The very next morning, which was on a Saturday, when I checked my email I was surprised to find an email from Krzysztof Hejnar himself. His answer was disappointing, though, in that he said the screw threads size was 10-24 (smaller than the ¼-20 I needed). And he asked me why I wanted to know this. I wrote back and told him about my idea. Shortly he responded and said he had a better idea for me, and sent some pictures of a slightly different L bracket prototype.

We corresponded back and forth several times that Saturday. I said I liked what he came up with, and asked how much more would it cost and how long would it take to manufacture this L bracket. He said it would be the same cost as the regular bracket and apologetically said he would need a few days to do the modifications. I said “sold”, ordered the bracket using Paypal, and set out to wait. Well the next Monday I got an email confirmation the L bracket was shipped and received a tracking number. I hadn't even gotten around to tracking the shipment yet and low and behold, the bracket arrived on Wednesday. WOW, I couldn’t ask for better/faster service.

On inspection, the L bracket looks to be of high quality and is quite strong. Best of all, I like how my camera hangs from the Black Rapid strap attached to the L bracket even better than before. It hangs at a more comfortable angle and with my 70-300 VR it just seems to hug my hip. I don't have a picture of this set-up on my camera yet but here is the modified L bracket.

And this is where the FastenR eyelet screws on.

I can tell you I am very pleased with Hejnar Photo both for service and quality of product, and will certainly purchase from him again. He makes a range of Arca-Swiss plates and clamps as well as some other products such as micro (macro) rails and panorama nodal slides and rails. It all looks like quality product and at a reasonable price.

My conundrum is over and I didn't even have to build a "mouse trap" :smile:

NOTE: I have no affiliation with Hejnar Photo or Black Rapid other than just being a satisfied customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really cool, it'd make me a lot more likely to get an L-Bracket.

It looks like Hejnar unfortunately doesn't seem to make one for the D3.

Max, you're right. I believe he is currently only making them for D300, 700 and 7000 bodies. You might try contacting him and asking though. His web link is at the bottom of my original post.

FotoWerks, at the time he "made" mine, he stated he had 2 of that type of of side brackets that were already anodized black. You might want to contact him to see what he has now or what he is willing to make. What surprised me was that mine cost the same (US) $90 his production brackets cost. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than the the popular L brackets.

BTW, having used it for a couple of weeks now, I like it even better than I initially thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max, you're right. I believe he is currently only making them for D300, 700 and 7000 bodies. You might try contacting him and asking though. His web link is at the bottom of my original post.

FotoWerks, at the time he "made" mine, he stated he had 2 of that type of of side brackets that were already anodized black. You might want to contact him to see what he has now or what he is willing to make. What surprised me was that mine cost the same (US) $90 his production brackets cost. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than the the popular L brackets.

BTW, having used it for a couple of weeks now, I like it even better than I initially thought.
Thanks!! Will contact him soon.

Any pics yet with the BR connected to the camera via the L bracket??

Does this bracket work with a gripped D700? Didn't see any of that in the FAQ page.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom