Convenient portable computer for travel

I was looking into a small computer to bring with me for travels to do a few things....

1. be able to back up photos
2. be able to use wifi and check for informations, restaurants etc. where I am travelling.

So basically i wanted a small, light portable option that i will basically never use except for travel for the above reasons and use my regular computer at home. I see people with really small laptops and this was what I was thinking but dont know much about them and was going to see if any cafe members had any thoughts.

Something like this but looking for any other options you may have bought and thought was useful...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/914387-REG/acer_lu_sga0d_066_aspire_one_aod270_26dkk_1gb.html

or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...romebook_2GB_Memory_16GB_Storage_Samsung.html

Greg

Depends on your budget. I carry a Sony Z-series with High res screen and plenty of RAM. That's probably the upper end of the price scale.

There are capable new ultrabook-style systems available on either side of $500. The main drawbacks I see in them are so-so screens, RAM limits, and small hard drives or SSDs. Still, one of them might be adequate for your needs.

Depends on your budget. I carry a Sony Z-series with High res screen and plenty of RAM. That's probably the upper end of the price scale.

There are capable new ultrabook-style systems available on either side of $500. The main drawbacks I see in them are so-so screens, RAM limits, and small hard drives or SSDs. Still, one of them might be adequate for your needs.

I was hoping to stay under $350

The other option was I was just going to buy many memory cards and since I have a d7000 use slot #2 as backup so i have my photos on two memory cards and then store them in different locations. I figured a small computer might be better cause I wouldnt need all the memory cards and at the same time have something to access internet, skype family etc.

Real Name
David
Basically what your criteria leads to is something with an SD card reader and USB port. PLUS an external hard drive. What you may have to look for is something with 2 usb ports and an external with a two into one usb cable (plugs into two ports on the note/netbook and one on the drive to draw power from both ports) or an external drive with a power adapter.

Based on that, the Chrome book should work. I know my wife and I vacationed with a Nexus 7 and used it like you're thinking for direction and such in the evening at hotels etc. Worked well but didn't need the backup abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
David
While Jay is correct in general on laptops. Having vacationed with the Nexus I can say something like the Chrome book would work if that is really all you are looking for.

If I were to stretch your budget at all I might consider something like this:
ASUS_VivoBook_X202E

It has an i3, 500gb hdd and hd4000 graphics. It also runs Windows 8 and has a touch screen. But again I can surely see the chrome book working as well.

Of the two laptops you link, I wouldn't get the Samsung Chromebook because it doesn't have enough storage (might as well have something with a big enough disk to avoid having to carry an external hard disk as well). I'd avoid the Acer because the vertical resolution is so low (I've had a netbook before, and this was the most irritating limitation). Something like David's choice would be significantly more useful if you can manage it, and would be capable of a bit of image editing too.

However, if you want to travel really light, buying more media cards could be the best option. A smartphone or 7" tablet could easily handle your basic internet stuff. For short trips I just take a phone unless I need a laptop for work.

Of the two laptops you link, I wouldn't get the Samsung Chromebook because it doesn't have enough storage (might as well have something with a big enough disk to avoid having to carry an external hard disk as well). I'd avoid the Acer because the vertical resolution is so low (I've had a netbook before, and this was the most irritating limitation). Something like David's choice would be significantly more useful if you can manage it, and would be capable of a bit of image editing too.

However, if you want to travel really light, buying more media cards could be the best option. A smartphone or 7" tablet could easily handle your basic internet stuff. For short trips I just take a phone unless I need a laptop for work.

THanks, yeah im considering the memory card option as well. My wife has an Ipad that we usually bring for internet but she has to give that back to work soon so we will be left with nothing small and portable which is why I was thinking a laptop could help with both issues however she is biased towards apple stuff (which we have for everything else) and ipad is no good for the uses i wanted with storage.

Thanks to other for the other input, much appreciated.

It's more than your budget, but the MacBook Air rocks! I have one and I LOVE it!

Carole

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I use the Sanho Colorspace portable HDs for backup. No computer needed!

They don't do internet....and they are expensive.... but for light-weight portable storage they are the best option I have found. User-replaceable HD's, too!

If I gotta have internet, I succumb to internet cafes....

What about an Android tablet that supports external USB devices? Several to choose from. Just bring your favorite low cost backup USB hard drive and a powered USB hub you can hook to your tablet via USB OTG cable, and a card reader you also plug into the USB card reader.

Or one of the new Microsoft Tablets could so the same thing except you won't need a USB Hub as it had built in SD card reader and full sized USB ports.

What about an Android tablet that supports external USB devices? Several to choose from. Just bring your favorite low cost backup USB hard drive and a powered USB hub you can hook to your tablet via USB OTG cable, and a card reader you also plug into the USB card reader.

Or one of the new Microsoft Tablets could so the same thing except you won't need a USB Hub as it had built in SD card reader and full sized USB ports.

Any recommendations? I was looking at google nexus 7 32GB.

It's a nice size and price plus a tablet I can use for Internet, wifi etc. it only has mini USB. So would I buy a mini USB- USB converter. Then plug my camera in via the USB and upload pics to tablet then plug ext hard drive into USB and place on external hard drive then delete from tablet. This was I would have my two backups one on the camera memory card and one in the external hard drive??

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom