1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Convent of the Sacred Heart

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by rickbern, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rickbern

rickbern

Jul 18, 2007
    New York
    Had so much fun with the last post, thought I'd try a second.

Took these shots a few weeks ago with a Tokina 12-24. The oblique shot was 15mm and f8 in portrait orientation then the bottom 20% or so of the foreground was cropped out, the "elevation" was 12mm, I'm sure f8. Sort of beautiful, clear afternoon light. I initially process in dxo which is magic for fixing lens problems in shots like these.

This is now a Catholic school on Fifth Avenue and 91st, directly across from the Cooper Hewitt Museum. The school uses the first two buildings, I think the third is the Russian Embassy to the UN? Or maybe just the consulate.

btw-I'm sure I got rid of the branch on the top right of the oblique shot. Next time I do this, I'm bringing a gardener.

Oblique
    3773563040_f1edc51e1a_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Elevation
    3772764159_aaf64a08c2_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. On the 1st, I would tone down the facing of the building. It looks overexposed. Match the exposure & color of the 2nd shot. Also, clone out that leaves on the top right and crop that little black piece off of the lower left-hand corner.

The 2nd shot needs cropping off the irregular white borders all around. You'd also be cropping part of the roof off as well.

This is a similar shot from nearby: http://photos.dezmix.com/manhattan/hc5bc128#hc5bc128

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.