Conversation with a CraigsList scammer

I posted an ad for a Lazy Boy sofa bed today. Kimberly made the first response.

Do you still have the Item for sale? Pls send me the pictures my emails address is kimberly@xxxx

Hi, Kimberly. Yes, the couch is still for sale. We just listed it a few hours ago. I've attached a larger size of the picture I took for the CraigsList ad.

Thanks for the prompt response i want you to know that am okay with the condition of the item and i will love to make an instant purchase. I will be mailing a certified check from my account to cover the cost, while you hold item on my behalf, am willing to give an extra $40 for you to hold item till you receive payment. Once you have payment, I will have my handler come for pickup at your place as soon as check clears your bank. I will be needing the following information to issue out the payment .

1.Name to be on the check
2.Home Address
3.Telephone
4.Final Asking Price

**Additional funds for pick up charges as quoted by my movers will be sent along with your funds on a single check, you are to pay the movers I will await bank clearance before we proceed further once you received the payments Please note that the payment will be mailed via the courier to your address and its bound to delivered within 2 to 3 days. I have taken a closer look at the item and am very satisfied i really need this and would appreciates that you help hold this for me till the payment arrives. Furthermore do remove the posting from CRAIGSLIST as am definitely buying it from you. Hope to hear from you ASAP

Thanks for your interest, Kimberly, but since the price is very low, we are only entertaining cash offers.

Handler? Me pay the mover? This is as bad as the scam about receiving an inheritance from someone overseas.

If it is still for sale Frank.. I am printing.. Opps.. I mean.. Mailing you a certified check right now. :eek:

Such a deal I have for you! As soon as my friend from Nigeria sends me the funds, I'll forward them to you. In the meantime, could you air express the couch to him? He's good for the money; he's a prince after all. :)

We received a letter this week advising we won $950,000 from Publishers Clearing House. We had 72 hours to claim the funds or the funds would be returned to the International Lottery Board Charity Fundation as unclaimed (yes Fundation - not Foundation). Took it to our bank who turned it over to their fraud dept. and yes it was a fraud. Dang and I had already booked a world cruise, ordered a new car and, and, and ..........:biggrin:

If you give me your bank account number i will wire the funds and you can keep the sofa. :)

We received a letter this week advising we won $950,000 from Publishers Clearing House. We had 72 hours to claim the funds or the funds would be returned to the International Lottery Board Charity Fundation as unclaimed (yes Fundation - not Foundation). Took it to our bank who turned it over to their fraud dept. and yes it was a fraud. Dang and I had already booked a world cruise, ordered a new car and, and, and ..........:biggrin:

That's so sad, Marlene. I hope they were able to track down those b*&t(*&s.

do they ever stop trying.......jerks

They can make some serious money, why stop? Someone that works where I do "bought" a custom Camaro SS online, should be worth $50k, he paid $18k. Lost it all when the delivery truck didn't show up and all the phone numbers were disconnected. This is after several people told him he was being scammed. He thought it had to be legit since the money went to an escrow company, an escrow company that the seller had call him. This is why they don't stop trying, there are plenty of people out there that fall for this stuff.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Interesting. How does this particular scam work? Somehow, if a check made out to you clears your bank ok, then how do you not end up with the money?

Interesting. How does this particular scam work? Somehow, if a check made out to you clears your bank ok, then how do you not end up with the money?

Usually the goods have been delivered to the scammer before the cheque is true. You need a certified or a cashiers cheque for it to be good at time of receiving.

After clearing, the cheque must still be returned to the branch that holds the cheque writer’s account (or the unit of the FI that acts on behalf of the branch) to confirm that it can be honoured.

Within Canada, this process generally takes from one to three business days. If the cheque cannot be honoured - for example, due to insufficient funds, a stop payment order or a forged signature - it will be returned to the branch that accepted it. The return voyage will also generally take from one to three days but could take longer in some circumstances.

It amazes me that with all the times this kind of thing has been on the news that people still fall for it. How stupid do you have to be??

And yea, I'd have some fun with her too as I love doing stuff like that, LOL :)

Carole

It amazes me that with all the times this kind of thing has been on the news that people still fall for it. How stupid do you have to be??

It's a combination of stupidity and greed, usually more greed than stupidity though. The victim thinks they are getting a super deal from a clueless buyer.

It's a combination of stupidity and greed, usually more greed than stupidity though. The victim thinks they are getting a super deal from a clueless buyer.

If it seems to good to be true, it is. How many times have people heard that, yet they still don't listen . . .

Carole

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom