Conversion of CS3 Beta to Regular Version?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Mike Z, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I've been running CS3 Beta and just received delivery of the final version. Does anyone know whether it can be converted or do I have to uninstall the Beta and install the final version? I'm just trying to avoid having to redo all of my settings, actions and plugins.

Mike

2. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. jbm007

jbm007

Sep 5, 2005
    Mike make sure you deactivate the serial number first. Then Uninstall the beta. I suggest you check to see if anything got left in a directory/subdirectory. Also check under program files\common files\adobe
    I would also run a registry cleaner if you have one.
    I would the reboot and when I installed PS I would give it a completely different name.

4. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Before uninstalling the beta version of PSCS3 do you first uninstall Bridge. Also the Bridge uninstall makes reference to deactivating but I can't find the menu to deactivate. I sure need help.:confused:

Mike

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Answered my own question. Uninstalling the Beta of PSCS automatically uninstalls Bridge. I've now completed the installation and it went flawlessly. All of the actions and presets from the beta version were still there as well as my desktop setup. The only tip I used was when you start the regular program for the first time a serial number is shown. That's the beta serial number. You must replace it with the serial number given for the regular edition.
    Mike

6. So Mike.....did you not de-install the beta first...????:confused:

7. With the serial number showing and the workspace saves, it sounds like the uninstall was not complete.

8. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Mike I did remove the beta. At that time I was given two options, retain information or completely remove. I selected the first.

Dave, I saw the tip about entering the new serial number on DP Review so evidently that poster followed the same procedure that I did. In all events, the newly installed regular version seems to be running without a problem. My splash page no longer indicates beta and now shows version 10. Photoshop Help is also now available.

The first time I tried to install the regular version I inadvertently had not removed the beta version although I thought I had. The regular version would not permit the install until the beta was removed. After I removed the beta in the manner I described I had no problem.

It certainly was convenient in not having to reinstall my plug-ins and actions, and to have all my settings in place.

Mike

9. Mike
    It may be no problem at all but I have been reading adobe's statements and warnings over on Photoshopnews.com
    What I think the risk will be is when the beta expires and they take that down. I would just want to be sure that did not affect my paid version or my plug ins.
    Glad you got it going!

10. Thanks Mike......will try it the way you did when I do it and see what happens :smile: :wink: :smile: :wink:

11. Mike, my experience pretty much matches yours. I uninstalled the Bridge and CS3 betas (and also defragged my HD and rebooted) before installing the (downloaded) full version. I substituted the full version's SN for the beta's SN (which was pre-filled when the entry screen popped up when starting CS3 for the first time) and chose full installation rather than trial, and the activation was accepted. I too was surprised to see my regular workspace rather than the default.

One thing I missed: there's a readme.html in the folder on the desktop that the extraction routine created. The readme says to clear your preferences the first time you open CS3. I didn't see see the readme so I didn't clear my preferences. Everything seems to be working fine so far, though. Bridge seems to load much faster than the beta.

12. Just recieved my CS3. I completed the uninstall, checked the box to remove the serial number, selected it remove all preferences and components (NOTE: I did de-activate the beta prior to doing all of these steps) and downloaded and ran the Clean sweep utility provided by adobe. Then re-booted and am performing the install now.
    Will advise if any issues.

13. Dave, I think you're also supposed to floss before installing the full version. :eek:

14. nyuk, nyuk, nyuk