Conversion Van (Small RV?) for Traveling?

On my ongoing roadtrip thru several western National Parks, I've seen a particular class ofvehicle that I haven't run across before. Basically, they look like small Fedex or UPS trucks - ones that you can still stand up in, but aren't much bigger than a van. Hardtop - not a pop-up. Brands that I've seen a lot are Mercedes and Volkswagen (Vanagen?). It appears that one person or perhaps even two people could sleep in one of these quite nicely. I assume that they don't have onboard plumbing of any kind, but perhaps have a small refrigerator.

I know that Glenn Nagel travels andcamps in his Prius, but that's a bit too much "roughing it" for me. So one of these larger (but not too large) vehicles just might fit the bill for me.

Does anyone know what this class of vehicle (small RV?) is called? I'm thinking that I might buy/rent one down the line sometime to save on lodging costs during long roadtrips.

I really should shoot an image of one and post it. But, in the meantime does anyone know what I mean? And does anyone have info on them or experience with them?

Thanks!

You're looking for a class B RV. There are some diesel versions with aforementioned Sprinter vans that make pretty decent highway mileage with a turbo diesel.

The Airstream and Winnebago are considered good for the price. Of course, every RV maker has a version in all price ranges.
You can also go class C and use the same chassis as the Sprinter vans and have a slightly larger footprint without getting too big. They still make decent mileage (for an RV).

A class B RV is built on a van body, Some have the bodies widened but are still considered class B. I have a Roadtrek built on a Chevy Express Van and I take it out just about every weekend even if I don't camp out overnight. They also make a Sprinter version and that has a lot of room inside. It has everything a large RV has including kitchen, toilet, shower, furnace, air conditioner, generator etc.

i-JV5gFZT-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom