Converting in sRGB ?!?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by JPS, May 20, 2005.

1. I never converted my pics for Internet use, but i read recently that the colors were better if one converts the pics in sRGB !

I made a simple test with two shots that i originally uploaded in Pbase as RGB: i converted them as sRGB and uploaded them next to the others: there IS a rather big difference !!!

Here they are:

#1 RBG
    original.

#2 sRGB
    original.

#3 RGB
    original.

#4 sRGB
    original.

Now, what makes such a difference ? ...and, is this only valid with Pbase or would it work with any other way to show pics over the Net ? Also, for printing, would it work or is it better to use RGB ?

TIA,

2. Must be my monitor or else my eyes, but I can't see any difference.

3. Hi JPS,

I don't know if this is a technically detailed answer but here's my understanding of the situation. Web browsers are not color space aware. Therefore a picture stored in a larger gamut than sRGB such as Adobe RGB will appear flat in the web browser. By doing the conversion to sRGB you have placed your picture in a color gamut that the browser can replicate.

I always convert to sRGB for printing as I read somewhere that photoshop does a beter job converting to sRGB than a printer driver. However I've recently read you can print using the Adobe RGB gamut and get better results. I'll have to look into this further.

Wonderful pics by the way. And yes I can see the difference.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes I do see quite a difference. The sRGB images are more saturated and pop nicely.. Better color. Better light on the images as taken. Not as flat.

However had I not seen the side by side. I would not have known how much was lost.

5. Can I ask a really dumb question?

How did you do that?

I mean. How do you completely black out the background?

Sorry for the newby question but this looks like a really cool technique and one I would like to learn.

Thanks

6. This is curious. I posted above that I couldn't see any difference in the pics. Now I can. Earlier I was viewing them on a 10-year old IBM G70 monitor; now I'm using a 3-year-old Dell laptop. Maybe the laptop LCD gives truer color. Surprise (to me)!

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

LCD's are MUCH brighter, across the board, than their CRT counterparts. Some might say the best CRT's have better detail, are faster (for gamers), and show a smoother rendition.

I switched to LCD and won't go back.....

8. Hi ! As i think that a picture is better than any description, here's my usual set-up (that i can dismount and re-arrange the way i want, using only one or both L-shaped white acrylic sheets...):
    large.

...hope that helps ?

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What's up JP!?

Hey old buddy! I remember you from Coolpix days and some from DPR. Good to see you here, and making a positive contribution. Love your flower pics!

10. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    wow! Great set up. Can you describe it a little bit more with details on how you hold it together?

11. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm fairly advanced in achieving a similar setup as Jean-Pierre - I have the desk lamp (except mine's black not red).

I don't have any of the other stuff. :)

Beautiful shots, Jean-Pierre.

Neil

12. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Jean-Pierre,

You are right there is a rather big difference and it is due to the reasons stated above. I always print in Adobe1998 and web-post in sRGB.

Really like the detail and color of the pics. The black backgroud helps to bring out the beauty of the whole structure of the flower (1st pic), rather then just the beauty of the petals (2nd).

Well done.

Gregg