Convincing A Person

We have four days left of school.........thursday we have a dance (our school makes it into a formal) My girlfriend and I are dressing up so we are gonna look nice. There is a pro photographer there. I want to buy some pictures of my girlfriend and I posing for the camera.....one problem. She hates pictures of herself. She hates people taking pictures of her. Anyway you guys know to convince her to get the pictures with me? It would be soo much to me. Like soo much. I really want these pictures but she just won't. Any ideas? Im willing to pay....everything. I just want the photos :(

Thanks.............. :cry:

L

LarryJacobson

Elliott,

Just a thought or two.

I don't know your firend but I've always hated being photographed. Perhaps, like me she doesn't like the idea of a stranger taking her photo with little control over the situation.

Why not involve her by offering to take the photo yourself and have her take several photos of you? Have a friend take shots of the both of you. Use your D70 to display the photos immediately and allow her to pick what she likes and discard the rest.

Elliott, who knows, perhaps showing her how sensitive you are to her concerns will blossom into a deeper photographic experience.

Good luck.

-Larry

I guess the only problem is that I don't have any lighting gear and I really wanted the photos on this night were we both look good so if I took it against a wall there would be glare and if I took it elsewhere it might be underexposed. The other issue with that is i have to hold onto my d70 the rest of the night............and I was hoping to goof off with friends.

She said I could take photos of her at school (much practical for me) but I kind of just have a thing for this night. We have been dating 8+ months on and off and she's going to a different high school so I thought this would make a nice memory.

Thanks for your advice. I guess I will try taking it to school today and see what I can get.

Elliott, my wife is very much the same. In 24 years I have taken 2 photographs of her that she likes.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in taking photographs of a person who does not want to be photographed. If it causes bad feelings between you it is not worth it, and if you look at it from her point of view it is actually impolite to insist.

If the two of you stay together for 24 years perhaps you too will be allowed a couple of pics during that time.

Elliott...get your camera gear and take your girlfriend to a forest preserve or park...somewhere where there is nature in it's glory. Have her take a picture of you leaning up against a tree. leaning over the railing of a wooden bridge, lying down amongst some flowers in bloom...and ask if you could take some pictures of her in the same setting. Have her take a handful of flower petals then throw them up and shoot a burst of images and see what you get...could be outstanding. No flower petals around...go to a florist shop and buy a bag of rose petals...very romantic!!!| :lol: :lol: Bring a tripod and shoot images of the two of you together...smiling pictures, silly pictures...you know the drill. Pictures last a lifetime and she needs to understand that you need to have pictures of her for when she isn't around...and she should want pictures of you as well.

Just a thought

I wonder if she'd consider having a pic taken of herself if she was looking at you, and you at her, instead of both of you looking into the camera lens?

If you are going to propose to her, buy all the camera equipment that you can afford first...because she will end up saying, "we can't afford camera stuff now because we are saving for furniture!!!"

eng45ine said:
...she will end up saying, "we can't afford camera stuff now because we are saving for furniture!!!"

Sounds like you're sharing a personal problem, Frank -lol.

But it doesn't seem to have slowed you down ;).

How's The Beast treating you?

How about out side in nice evening light in her favorite place..

Then both of you on time exposure :>))

Have a wonderful time :>))

Hey Frank,

Yep, in days gone by I have heard my share of, "no money for that now" or "we really can't afford that". Thankfully, like many other firemen, I have worked a part-time job over the years and have stashed away some mad money...she knows about the money, but she hasn't asked for any to offset the home budget. I sent the wife and my oldest daughter to Vegas for a "mother/daughter bonding vacation" using my mad money...so lately I'm golden around here.

And with respect to the "beast"...I am enjoying what she can do. I plan to get out this week and so some more shooting. Perfect week for vacation and the weather seems to be moderating here in the midwest.

Forget about proposing, the keys to a nice new Lexus will change her mind. Just make sure she knows she has to come back early to take the pictures!

Speaking from the point of view of a woman, you guys are all wrong...it's not a new car....it's not an expensive vacation...It's simple things...call when you are going to be late....or call just to say hello....bring flowers because it's Tuesday (not because you remembered at the last minute that it's an anniversary). Rub her feet when you know she's been on them all day running after kids and doing laundry. Pick up dinner so she can take a hot bath and read a book instead.

Luckynp said:
Elliott, my wife is very much the same. In 24 years I have taken 2 photographs of her that she likes.

I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in taking photographs of a person who does not want to be photographed. If it causes bad feelings between you it is not worth it, and if you look at it from her point of view it is actually impolite to insist.

If the two of you stay together for 24 years perhaps you too will be allowed a couple of pics during that time.

This gentlemen, is a man who knows women....

Elliot, take note...If you really like this girl then eventually there will be a chance for you to have a picture of her (quite possibly on your wedding day...which will mean much more than a high school dance anyway). Respect her feelings...not to say that you can't express your feelings too, but always respect hers...

Leigh,

I was being sarcastic when I mentioned the car. I know there are a lot more important things to succeed in a relationship, perhaps a Mercedes? <g>.

My wife is much the same and she has forbidden me to take her picture. When we were in Italy I came across this wall with the light reflecting from the building across from it. I told her the light was magical and asked if I could take her picture. I promised to delete it if she didn't like it. Guess what, the light was magical and she loved it. :D

Look for special moments like that and then be ready to take the image quickly. Good luck.

Real Name
Chris
Leigh said:
Speaking from the point of view of a woman, you guys are all wrong...it's not a new car....it's not an expensive vacation...It's simple things...call when you are going to be late....or call just to say hello....bring flowers because it's Tuesday (not because you remembered at the last minute that it's an anniversary). Rub her feet when you know she's been on them all day running after kids and doing laundry. Pick up dinner so she can take a hot bath and read a book instead.

Patrick - I'm impressed! All that and run the Cafe too - whew! ;)

Chris101 said:
Leigh said:

Patrick - I'm impressed! All that and run the Cafe too - whew! ;)

He's a good man, Chris....And no, I didn't make that stuff up! :)

greyflash said:
My wife is much the same and she has forbidden me to take her picture. When we were in Italy I came across this wall with the light reflecting from the building across from it. I told her the light was magical and asked if I could take her picture. I promised to delete it if she didn't like it. Guess what, the light was magical and she loved it. :D

Neat! Are you going to let us see it???

Uncle Frank said:
greyflash said:

Neat! Are you going to let us see it???

As quick as I can get this and the other images from Italy processed. Thanks for asking.

Latest threads

Top Bottom