Convincing myself I'm happy with the Z system

Real Name
Walter Rowe
One thing the Sony A7 series has that I wish the Nikon Z had is called Manual Focus Assist. You can set it to magnify the viewfinder while turning the focus ring and as soon as you stop focusing, the viewfinder returns to normal size.
The Nikon Z systems have focus peaking. I can press the center button of the rear nav and it zooms in. I can fine tune with manual focus after AF or in manual focus mode. I don’t see how the Sony system is any better.

I think focus peaking has become common now throughout the photography industry in all the major brands, both in their DSLRs and their mirrorless cameras. Isn't it great? Whoever first developed it is someone to whom I am very thankful! LOL!

On my new camera, when I got to the menu setting which offered Manual Focus Assist I clicked the button to activate it, but after using it a couple of times while shooting with manual focus quickly disabled it; this is one of those features which I need to go back to after I've become more comfortable with all of the camera's functionality and features and with my new lenses, rather than trying to deal with a bunch of new things all at once. I know it can be a very useful tool but I'm just not ready to utilize it yet.

As for fine-tuning in manual focus after using autofocus, that in the Sony system is called DMF (Direct Manual Focus), where one can first focus using autofocus to get into the right ballpark and then more precisely adjust using manual focus -- this, along with Focus Peaking, is extremely useful when shooting in macro!

Last edited:
Real Name
Maurie Hill
My A kit is D5 & D810 and a suite of 2.8 zooms + primes. My B kit is Z7 with both the f4 zooms; My C kit is a Nex7 with ‘Zeiss’ zooms. On the day I happened upon the massive fire in the almost completed Auckland International Convention Centre I had my iPhone 8 in my pocket. The best camera ?
FFF81DA6-E5D7-4443-8F78-F1BC4AFE1588.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
.... is the one you have with you when you see that shot.

Art can be made with any camera but the workflow is easier with some vs others. the z has great output but the workflow is not as easy as sony. The sad thing us in a shrinking market you don't have much room for mistakes.

Real Name
Andrew
Art can be made with any camera but the workflow is easier with some vs others. the z has great output but the workflow is not as easy as sony. The sad thing us in a shrinking market you don't have much room for mistakes.

If by workflow you mean post processing, then I don’t think I agree with that. I can process the files from ask my Nikon cameras to my satisfaction in minutes if not seconds. Not sure any thing else would be faster.
I’d consider this the same as the statement made about the cameras. I find that people tend to put a lot of stock on the cameras and lenses and forget the other 50%, which is post processing.

those post processing steps can be automated and tool interface there is just as important as menus and physical controls/handling are on cameras.

Last edited:
Andy is suffering from a case of winter time GAS. No known antidote, but converting it back to NAS is rather easy . . . :D
The conversion back is quite expensive, though, and puts heavy burdens on any short and mid term NAS. I’m still suffering the consequences of conversion 10 months later...

If by workflow you mean post processing, then I don’t think I agree with that. I can process the files from ask my Nikon cameras to my satisfaction in minutes if not seconds. Not sure any thing else would be faster.
I’d consider this the same as the statement made about the cameras. I find that people tend to put a lot of stock on the cameras and lenses and forget the other 50%, which is post processing.

those post processing steps can be automated and tool interface there is just as important as menus and physical controls/handling are on cameras.
No by workflow i mean taking the picture. The z is not as friendly as my d850 or dr5 or the sony i tried. It is harder to get the picture in focus and in the card. When i am downloading it is all the same.

Here are examples changin focus or changing metering modes. Cus sucks in comparison and is not as ood as my d850 or d5. I gt less keepers especially at f1.8 or 1.4. 9t just makes it harder to cture what i want.

Real Name
Andrew
No by workflow i mean taking the picture. The z is not as friendly as my d850 or dr5 or the sony i tried. It is harder to get the picture in focus and in the card. When i am downloading it is all the same.

given the clarification, I still do not agree. There are some differences for sure, but I find after a few weeks of use after first getting the Z6 there is really no difference for me in that regard.

There is a lot of experience and great information in this thread, thank you all gentlemen.
I have been researching my next camera system (D700 to E-M1 to ??) and reading all of your real life experiences with these systems helps alot

I find the focus slower than my other bodies and.inferior to my buddy‘s sony. We just shot them head to,head today and the eye focus hit every time on the sony and i was lucky to,get face detect. So,workflow is slower than other options. At least shooting it,agaist the sony and i also shot it against the d 850 too.

Real Name
Andy
Lots of great commentary in this thread. Apologies for starting it and neglecting it for the last few days.

Nikon has just always felt right. From the menus to the feel, all the way to the ability to post process.
This is true for me also.
files right out of the nikon camera do look better than the a7riv to my eyes as well
I can manipulate colors and shadows a little more on my sony files than the nikons.
The sony files can be sharpened up a little more, but that does not always look natural.
Very good information here. I had the same experience when a friend helped me cover a sporting event with his A73 and I postprocessed the files side-by-side with my NEFs.

My lowly D750 still does C-AF better than any of these mid-level mirrorless bodies!
Agree. This is where the Z6 can improve a great deal.

Sony's eye-AF is rock solid and perfect for portrait work,
One of the biggest draws for me.

it really bugs me that Nikon is now in this catch-up position
Amen.

(especially macro) that I wanted and prefer. Nikon just doesn't offer that (yet) with its Z series of mirrorless cameras.
This is not as much of a consideration for me, as I don't mind using a different system for my occasional macro work, but I definitely see why it is a player.

The Z has that .... you’ve just got to push a button for On and another for Off. I know, I know, bloody painful.
Odd as it may sound, I think it makes a big difference not having to push a button. The E-M1 has this auto magnification feature with the twist of a focus ring also, and it is really a joy to use.

Yup, I moved at least part of the system from nikon to sony.
One of the options I'm considering, though expensive.

Gear are only tools. It is what we produce with them that counts.
So true.

Magical thinking that goes along the lines of "if I buy "X" camera or "Y" lens I'll be able to produce seriously amazing prize-winning images" really just doesn't work,
Ditto.

I can fine tune with manual focus after AF or in manual focus mode. I don’t see how the Sony system is any better.
Not better, just more user friendly.

I find the focus slower than my other bodies and.inferior to my buddy‘s sony. We just shot them head to,head today and the eye focus hit every time on the sony and i was lucky to,get face detect. So,workflow is slower than other options. At least shooting it,agaist the sony and i also shot it against the d 850 too.
Which Sony?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom