Critique Cooked Octopus and Greek Salad

Yesterday I made a photo of most of the raw makings of this salad that can be viewed at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/makings-of-greek-salad-with-octopus.317592/ . Today I cooked the octopus, made the Greek salad, and combined them. I'll serve this to my friends tomorrow for lunch.

Setup
A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was very close to the scene on the front left and a white reflector above the scene brightened the top area and the shadows throughout. A polarizer controlled glare on the octopus.

Mike 2019-07-22--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you to Nick and Lyndee!

You really are a chef, for sure, Mike!
The meal was delicious. However, I'm almost always a cook and rarely a chef. For me, the difference between a chef and a cook is that a chef designs recipes and a cook uses recipes designed by others. The very few times I've "played" being a chef, I was trying to replicate a recipe I had enjoyed in a restaurant.

Thanks, Jim!

I'm afraid the food doesn't appeal to me.
One of my lunch guests won't eat octopus, not because of its taste, instead because the species is regarded as being very smart. I chose this dish because she was able to enjoy the Greek salad without the meat while her husband and I enjoyed it with the meat.

Do you drink wine with that?
We didn't drink wine because it was only lunch time and all of us at the lunch rarely drink it before the evening. If I had served wine, it would have been a bright, acidic white such as Pinot Gris or Albarino. When the Greek seasoning is ample, serving a Gewurtztraminer would be a fun twist. When I cook the octopus with lots of paprika and serve it over cumin potatoes, I pair it with a fresh, fruity red wine such as Barbera or Sangiovese. Both the red and white pairings work really well with their respective dishes.

Last edited:
I went into octopus with gusto. Wolfgang Puck opened a japanese buffet restaurant in uptown Phoenix a few (well, like 20) years back. It was outstanding. I started eating octopus - baby octopus for that matter - there. I liked it, and it liked me. Tasted like a milder calimari, succulent, very slightly seafoody, and never chewy or mushy. A while after that, I had octopus at a Todai buffet - obviously copied from Puck's concept. Whoa. It had some taste - I've been told it was the brain, the spleen, or any other internal order. It tasted like pure butt. I can no longer even see octopus without being overwhelmed by the sensation I got from eating that!

My past experiences notwithstanding Mike, your picture is very effective.

VERY effective ...

Thanks, Chris, and good to see you after all this time!

I've been told it was the brain, the spleen, or any other internal order.
Everything I've read says to remove everything inside the head, though all that stuff has already been removed before I bought it. The only other "innards" are the beak and mouth, which I've also seen are to always be removed.

I can entirely relate to your reaction to octopus after having such a bad experience. Years ago the doctor told me I either got a stomach virus or food poisoning from a Greek salad and it was impossible to know which. It took me two or three years before I could get up the courage to eat a Greek salad and I love Greek salads. Fortunately, I finally got over it and maybe you will too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom