Cooking Lessons with...

Back in July 11th 2005, Leigh started a recipe thread, brilliant! As, like Leigh, I love food and being a digital camera owner (Nikon!) I thought I'd add a twist and start a new recipe thread, with... pictures! This is the NikonCafé after all, some of us do have cameras and may just need an excuse to take even more pictures :rolleyes:

Being early January what better time, after the holidays to share some of our favorite recipes with each others as well as a step by step pictorial on how to make it. What say you?

It doesn't have to be your recipe, it could be a recipe taken from Leigh's original thread which can be found here: Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your....recipes...

The first recipe I will be posting is one of my best recipe so please don't let it go to waste, I actually created the post below as a lark on a forum I used to participate on a few years back and I am using it as an example.

How you post your recipe and pictures... I will leave that up to you and your creative control. Only one rule need apply; Have fun with it, sharing trying and/or reading the recipes.

Cooking Lesson with The Dude: Lesson #1 Almond Butter Rice & Salmon

(Warning modem killer - 67 pictures... But soooooooooo worth it! Cause this is step by step, I made it easy for you. You will most likely need to press refresh once or twice or a dozen times that's if you have a dial up connection...)

The first time I made this combined recipe was back in 1998, right before the ice storm in Montreal. This meal may be just the way to get the last camera gear purchase forgiven... I even made this one once for 8 people, double the rice recipe.

The pictures below were made using a Konica/Minolta G500, my apologies...

First here are the required ingredients, preparation tips, instructions and all that.

Almond Butter Rice

1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup dry basmati rice
1/2 cup butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2-1 tsp. turmeric
2 cups strong chicken stock
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
(I grilled them in a non stick pan without any butter or oil, it really brings out the almond flavor. Be careful not to burn them...)

Combined salt with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, pour the rice in once it boils. Let stand for 30 minutes, then rinse rice with cold water and drain well. Meanwhile, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes (more or less, that's when a Chronograph function on a watch comes into play... Watch theme, gotta keep it going) Stir in turmeric and rice (Aroma galore!) Cook stirring, over medium heat for until butter is absorbed - 5 minutes.

Place in greased casserole dish and stir in stock. Bake, covered, at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes, Stir in almonds and parsley and bake for 15 more minutes. Serves 4.

Salmon:

One big 1.5 pound fillet of salmon (No skin! one piece. Well on that day I got it in two pieces.)
White wine I used Cesari chardonnay Delle Venezie that night. The best white cooking wine, why cause it is good enough to drink and cheap enough to cook with he he he but any inexpensive white or expensive white wine will do just fine
Lemons
Parsley Fresh parsley
One Onion Always a Spanish Onion. More flavorful, not as strong tasting too, sweeter
Salt and Pepper Used my trusted acrylic grinder set

Place the fillet in an aluminum foil boat, double layered to prevent any leakage with a little bit of wine and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover with a few onion rings and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Close the foil in a boat shape to prevent leakage and put in the oven with the rice... make sure the fillet stays flat so don't skimp on the aluminum and please use the wide one....

Serve with the rice and cooked mushroom, make the mushroom, sliced Portobello mushroom cooked in butter and white wine in a non stick pan....

hummm mmmm never failed me, that and Barry White on the iPod stereo player plus some candle by the fire place (When I had one) always got me forgiven for spending too much on anything I bought... For dessert. That night was a flan with four wild berries. Recipe to be divulged 25 years after my death.

Okay okay okay... So there are a few more ingredients, I had a couple of rum and coke before I started and then a bloody Caesar while I started... Of course I had to have a glass of wine. And then the obligatory Corona beer while I waited. Hey! It takes a long time to cook. Do not forget to put Billie Holiday on the iPod stereo player while you cook. Lady Day makes great cooking music.

Now the caption for the pics are above the pictures. Why? you might ask, simply because of how they will be viewed, scrolling down... So you get to see the caption before the pictures. Otherwise you see a picture and then have to scroll down to see the caption. Doesn't make sense to me for this type of thread...

First: This is the stuff you'll need. Yes, that's my Bloody Caesar sitting there and a beer but those are cooking aids just as much as "The Best of Lady Day" double cd is a cooking aid, the basmati rice is already in the measuring cup.

salmonalmondbutterrice.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Boil the water take off the stove pour in rice cover and let it sit for 30 minutes.

salmonalmondbutterrice1.gif

Pour water in a another sauce pan for the chicken stock.

View attachment 77423

Add the chicken stock powder.

View attachment 77424

Stir and let simmer for now.

View attachment 77425

Clean the parsley.

View attachment 77426

Start making the aluminum boat for the salmon. Double layer of large extra strong aluminum needed. I can multi task as I was on the phone with a lady friend at the time, she couldn't come over unfortunately but this didn't deter me in cooking this great feast of delicious, sublime flavors just for me and share with you all.

View attachment 77427

Fold it in two then fold the edges into themselves a couple of times. To prevent leakage.

View attachment 77428

View attachment 77429

The bottom corners have to be folded on their own after

View attachment 77430

And then fold everything once more. You have to be careful cause you must prevent leakage at all cost, if you lose the wine and lemon juice your salmon will be noooooooo good and the mess that will make in the oven? Well, not very nice?.

View attachment 77431

This is what the aluminum boat should look like before putting the schtuff in it.

View attachment 77432

View attachment 77433

Now it is time to cut and dice the onion, I don't know how you do it at home but me I wear a cheap scuba mask? Have you ever had burning eyes while wearing contacts, not too too pleasant? (Okay it is a Spanish onion so it does not sting as much but still better be safe than sorry... And funnier as well.) Notice the calendar, I took those pictures back in September 2004! Whoa, time does fly.

View attachment 77434

View attachment 77435

View attachment 77436

Garlic time, I love garlic. Just press on top of the onions so you do not lose any of the garlic flavors.

View attachment 77437

View attachment 77438

Butter time, this is how you measure half a cup of butter. With the little scale/ruler on the butter wrapping.

View attachment 77439

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.

View attachment 77440

Grease an oven dish, for the rice. Now the secret is to smother it in butter. So you will end up with a little more than half a cup of butter and more buttery smoothness.

View attachment 77441

Finger licking good... Errrr okay maybe not!

View attachment 77442

While the butter is melting get the lemon juice ready for the salmon.

View attachment 77443

And the parsley, for the salmon and the rice...

View attachment 77444

Now pour the diced onion and garlic in the pan.

View attachment 77445

Stir...

View attachment 77446

Stir... Nice watch! Errrr, huh-oh... Oooops, I meant, let sit and simmer for a minute here...

View attachment 77447

Pour the lemon juice in the "boat" ...

View attachment 77448

Add wine to the boat. "How much wine?" you might ask...

View attachment 77449

About this much...

View attachment 77450

Rinse the skinless salmon fillet under cold water...

View attachment 77451

Put in the boat...

View attachment 77452

Now back to the almond butter rice. Add the turmeric. (You can tell by that time my measurement are all very scientific. A little of this a little of that... Yup I fell in the sauce while cooking!)

View attachment 77453

Pour rice in... (Do not forget to drain the water after 30 minutes, that rice needed to sit in the hot water only 30 minutes. You don't need the water the rice sat in for this step. Not unless you want to ruin everything!)

View attachment 77454

Stir... ("Stir" seems to be the word of the day.)

View attachment 77455

The smell will simply amaze you...

View attachment 77456

Okay back to the salmon, add salt and pepper to taste...

View attachment 77457

Cover with onion rings...

View attachment 77458

Then cover with parsley...

View attachment 77459

Close the boat...

View attachment 77460

Seal tight you don't want anything to escape... (Kinda looks like a canoe? Well it did when I was good n' drunk!)

View attachment 77461

You gotta shape it juts so...

View attachment 77462

For the salmon to stay flat while it cooks, please buy the big, wide aluminum foil, do not skimp on the foil. If the aluminum foil you are using isn't wide enough you will end up with a wavy or "u" shaped salmon.

View attachment 77463

Pour the rice in the greased up oven dish.

View attachment 77464

Now pour the chicken stock on top and stir... (That word again, "stir")

View attachment 77465

Almost there.

View attachment 77466

Cover the rice dish with aluminum and put in the oven... Darn it! Almost out of bloody Caesar... he he he

View attachment 77467

Close the oven door and start your timer, 45 minutes!

View attachment 77468

Brown the almonds. Roast those babies!

View attachment 77469

Stir...

View attachment 77470

...and shake! Do not leave untended for a minute or you could burn and waste these almonds. Do not walk away to answer the phone at this crucial step. Mmmm more good aromas. (Good accidental watch pichture... Wonder where my drunken self was focushing... *wink* Try doing that one handed with a Nikon D200 or a D2Xs!)

View attachment 77471

Pour the almonds in a dish.

View attachment 77472

Chop the parsley.

View attachment 77473

Slice the mushrooms. Oh well here is the obligatory watch shot. See I am really using the chrono function on my watch.

View attachment 77474

Ding ding ding 45 minutes! Take the rice out. Looks strange, not! It always looks like that.

View attachment 77475

Mix in the parsley and the almonds.

View attachment 77476

Put back in the oven uncovered for another 15 minutes...

View attachment 77477

Melt some butter in a pan, add the sliced mushrooms. Simmer for a bit.

View attachment 77478

Add wine, to taste if any left! (I am not a lush I still had schome left...)

View attachment 77479

Simmer. For a couple of minutes.

View attachment 77480

Ding ding ding! 15 minutes are up take both the rice and salmon out.

View attachment 77481

View attachment 77482

Smell this? Mmmmmm mmmm MMmmmmmm, yummy!

View attachment 77483

Gently push the parsley and onion away. Take a piece of salmon and serve with rice (Pour a little of the cooking juices on the salmon and if you wish to the rice as well, to taste.)

View attachment 77484

Serve with parley garnish and eat. Yes that is an old food edition of "The New Yorker" magazine, I have fallen a little back on my reading I will catch up soon...

View attachment 77485

Dessert, 4 berries with flan and almonds. Mmmm mmmm MMMMmmmmmmm Actually I didn't make the dessert I bought two slices at Schilling's on the Danforth earlier in that day. Schilling's in Toronto is no longer in business, as such do not go looking for it, you will not find it.

View attachment 77486

I sure hope you try this meal, you'll thank me for it.

I can't wait to see other people's recipes as I am always looking for new things to cook :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
omg IS IT TIME TO EAT NOW.. i COMING WITH MY OWN PLATE AND SILVER

Thank You this is marvelous:>)))))))

OK OK OK, I'll even bring some Ace Bakery bread and some MORE wine!! That looks incredibly good and an excellent series - well presented *hic* :biggrin: Love the idea of a snorkel mask for cutting onions - never thought of that!

Cool, another brilliant interactive thread from The Dude, who brought us "Something"!!! Okay, fire up your kitchens and format your memory cards.......who's next to post a recipe pictorial?

Way cool thread! I'll have to think about something yummy to make (and photograph)...hmmmmm....I'm thinking...

Looks interesting.

What happens to all the leftover cooking liquid from the salmon? Looks like a nice fish soup stock!

My wife keeps the onions in the fridge. No tears with cold onions!

I like this thread. I'll document a couple of mine when outdoor cooking season rolls back around.

L

Logan

DANGIT!!! i just finished a cheesecake maybe an hour ago, and now i see this! :mad: o well... maybe next time...:rolleyes:

WOW, you want a step by step pictoral account of how I cook? Man, this could be loooonnnnggggg post! LOL! Okay, I'l think about it. Sounds like fun though

Edited - well I went back and read the long post on how you made your salmon, found it funny to read and fun to look at. Job well done! Oh, the mask really was a hoot!

Great stuff!

It seems this was a good idea, but nobody has offered any more recipes. Here is one that is easy to fix, and is just as good as any Tex Mex rice you will get in a Texas Mexican restaurant.

Very nicely done! I always wondered how to make Tex Mex rice! I have an easy and awesome chili recipe that would be great with that! Thanks a mil! You just made my day! :smile:

T

topher04r1

WOW ... such a good idea !!! ..... im doing some home made taco's tommrow ... prehaps ill take some pictures !

omg this is one of the best meals i've had in a while, any fallowed Thedudes salmon recipe and i sauteed some mushrooms and onions cooked some rice and added grean beans to it and here it is!

white rice, butter, garlic & green beans

ju7kzr.gif

Sauteed mushrooms, onions and butter

View attachment 77488

Baked Salmon in lemon juice, parsley, white wine, onions and ground pepper

15obiwx.jpg

this is the first time i've cooked salmon, but anyway do you guys think it would taste alot better if i use melted butter instead of the white wine?

Excellent pictorial. I will try it out myself.

While you're at it, can you got to LA and take a picture of the Starbucks barista? :smile:

ahaha im in LA every weekend, im down herei n san diego right now but will be there soon, jsut give me directions and we can put some spice in the starbucks barista thread!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom