Cool Blue

Discussion in 'People' started by tomj, Jun 9, 2007.

1. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I was doing some testing today with different white balance settings with a single strobe setup. The strobe was bounced towards a 5' x 4' homemade reflective panel which was 4' from the strobe and 7' from my daughter. This made for a quite large lightsource which was balanced with ambient window light. I had my D200 set for fluorescent -2 wb which made for a cool, but not too cool image. I did a little more tweaking to the WB and then did some editing in PS and these are the results. The last shot was with flash WB.

Comments and critique always welcomed.

original.

original.

original.

2. I love these Tom. Your daughter is darling and you have really made these images pop. Well done.

3. Tom, wow...that first shot is tremendous... her expression is perfect.

Not sure about the WB...her eyes are definitely more blue in the first two...in the last one, they almost look hazel...and I don't know what they look like IRL...so I can't comment on which is closer...but I like all of them...and your PP is tremendous, as always...

Well done, mate.

4. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    These are excellent Tom. Thanks for explaining your technique. I can see what John is saying on her eye color, though it is subtle. Your daughter is loosing that baby look - they grow up fast.

5. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thank you Gordon. I appreciate the response.

Thanks John!! She actually stood still today and gave me a few poses. As far as the eyes go, her eyes are definitely more blue than green. Using different PP methods certainly rendered two different looks from the same setup.

Thanks Fred. I finally had some time for myself today and decided to do some experimenting. She definitely is growing up way too fast for me.

6. Excellent lighting in these Tom. Ellery is as beautiful as ever my friend.

Very subtle imagery.

G

7. Tom,

Yesterday when you left a comment on one of my posts I took another peek at your PBase portfolio. Man, you have such an elegant touch when you shoot people. That one shot there of the child with the crochet hat and the adult's tattoed arm is simply to die for... and these are just more of the same touch.

Anyway...

I love to see this kind of experimentation, and I hope others are getting a little education and incentive to try this kind of stuff themselves. You don't learn light by reading a book, you learn it by traing your eyes to see it, and this kind of experimentation will teach us more about light than any seminar or library of books.

But alas, without a known gray color sample in the frame it's impossible to tell which WB is "correct". As it is, all you can do is compare the subject to the photo and decide which more closely matches the subject. Interestingly enough, if you sample the whites of her eyes, #1 is blue while #3 is pretty close to neutral.

Some of the best money I ever spent was on a QPcard 101 There are 3 in a lightfast mylar zip lock bag and they are small and convenient. They have an adhesive back so you can stick it somewhere in the frame... Great little gizmos for experiments such as yours.

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Great stuff, I hope you put them all to print and don't just leave them as digital images.

9. Tom,
    these are wonderful. I really like the lighting very much, as well as your beautiful model. I'm amazed. I tried to imagine your lighting setup. Just to be sure (for the metric European): a ' is a foot, right?
    By strobe you mean something more powerful than a SB-800?

10. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Graeme. Glad you liked them.

Thanks Woody, I really appreciate your kind words and input. The crochet hat/tattoo shot has always been one of my favorites. I have thought about revisiting that shot since my PP skills have improved.
    As far as the WB goes, I know I should have thrown a gray card in there for reference as I usually do use WhiBal cards. I have looked at the QPCard site before and thought about giving those a shot. Do you use the QP software for balancing?

Thanks a bunch Todd. I will definitely print a few.

Thanks Daniel, I really appreciate your kind response. Yes, the ' is a foot. I used an Alien Bee AB400 for these shots. I mistakenly shot these as ISO 400 and didn't need much light from the studio strobe. You may be able to get enough light with this setup with an SB800.

11. These are outstanding Tom! The lighting worked very well with them, very interesting to see you play around with it and the effects you got.

12. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    how cute are these?!?! keep up the good work, Tom :)

love #1 and #2 with the dark negative space

13. Very good shots Tom, for me nr. 1 is the killer shot here: just perfect. Thanks for sharing,

14. Tom, looks like a successful test. Good work. #3 is my favorite of the set. Simply because of the framing, and she appears to have a little bit more natural color to her skin tone.

15. Sorry, this thread dropped off my radar screen... Anyway the answer is no. After a lot of wasted time and money I've reached the conclusion that no matter what it is, you can do it with Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw.

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I love these. I may have to experiment with a similar setup. Thanks for the explanation and sharing your experiment. What are you using for your homemade reflector?

17. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Frits. I appreciate you commenting on these images.

Thank you JD. I like using studio lighting in ambient spaces.

Thank you Vieri.

Thanks Roy. Yes, the last shot is more her real skin tone, but I had fun messing around with the cool look.

Thanks Woody, I didn't think you would be using it.

Thanks Terri!! The reflector material was a roll of shiny insulation material which was unrolled and taped to foamcore. This stuff is real handy to just leave in the car and you alway have a good emergency reflector when you need it. I will see if I can find a link so you will know exactly what I was using.

18. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Tom,
    These are all absolutely beautiful, but third is truly stunning! Well done....again!

19. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    tom,

These are exquisite! I particularly love the lower angle of the reflector. Most often everyone lights from a higher angle. These are nice!

Mike

20. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Stuart, I appreciate you taking a look and leaving the kind feedback. I had fun shooting these. There for a while, I couldn't get Ellery to stand in front of the camera for more than 5 seconds. Later.

Thanks so much Mike! I'm not a big fan of rules when it comes to lighting and I often try unconventional setups. This setup took all of 5 minutes to rig up and I was pleased with the lighting.