Cool IR

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Elf_8, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I thought I'd try an IR shot in winter. The day this was taken, the temperature was -10 C (10 F). A cold winter day is actually filled with IR waves.
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW

Wonderful IR shot.

I like IR images very much.

Never tried it, but would like to sometime.

Keep them coming.

Cheers
    Gale

3. C'est très réussi Christian.

Would you like to expand on the technique you used to capture this image please.

4. The filter used is a Hoya R72. Exposure is manual and based on trials.
    Here is the detailed exif:
    Nikon D70
    2005/02/27 12:24:28.8
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
    Focal Length: 18mm
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    3 sec - F/11
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Preset
    AF Mode: Manual
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Noise Reduction: OFF

5. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    A beatiful image. well done. :)

6. Too cold for me. Good shot!! :) :) :) :)

7. A very cold looking shot. Nicely photographed.

8. nice job!

I like it! never tried in winter though?? Well next year, still waiting for leaves so I can get out with the ir filter. Be interesting to see you swapping channels to see what you can get out of it for coloring than just totally desaturating?? fun to play.
    Here is one from last year..

9. Re: nice job!

Wow ! This one has impact ! Do you have the EXIF ? Seems like a really long exposure -the silky effect is stupendous. I have the impression a polar was also used, or is it just playing with the channels ?

10. Good morning, will have to check, sure I have the exif with my RAW file somewhere. This is probably 5s exposure, no polar, just playing with channels.......will be playing with my 25a filter on top of my 72 hoya this year ;-)

11. diabolic

diabolic Guest

hello, This is my first IR shot, I took it at the weekend. It is the Chapel at Lulworth castle, UK. My PS skills are very limited but here it is anyway. I'd love any advice or technical tips on how to improve it

irshot.

12. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Keith, I like your shot but the trees in the background look out of proportion to the forground. Is it the motion of the water that's screwing with my perception or did you work some magic with two images?

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I swear Christian, when I look at your photo long enough, I can smell snow! Snow is a really good IR reflector, which kind of surprises me. I loved seeing your picture. Thanks!

14. budguinn

budguinn Guest

Christian...Keith....Diabolic....really nice shots....keith, I especially like the tones in yours and the flow of the water.

15. HI Greg, no its definitely the flow of the water, and very fast flowing it was......thought it was a cool shot........here's another one, i just printed it 16x20 but did it in black and white instead and turned out great

16. Hi Budguinn

Thanks for nice comments and welcome aboard!