Cooler Chest Photography (Quick'n'Dirty Lightbox)

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Big Daddy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Someone posted a nice thread showing results from a DIY lightbox. I've been meaning to make one, but I've been pretty satisfied with this approach. I think a DIY box would give me slightly better results. But the chest is durable, reusable, and easy.

I saw this idea somewhere on the Web. Maybe by sharing it it'll benefit someone else in need of a quick lightbox.

My lightbox:

329936165_93zad-L.jpg

The set-up:

329935883_MYnqo-L.jpg

The cow dish towel is to rest the camera on when I have to put it down. Those are two DVD case-sized boxes helping hold the chest level. A can of compressed air always helps with dust. Lighting is provided by two off-camera SB-800 with diffusion domes attached, with the pop-up providing a little illumination in some shots.

In action:

329935762_Lpo5T-L.jpg

Some results:

329934314_niToR-L.jpg

329934404_NE4A5-L.jpg

338882387_6s2bz-L.jpg

338882834_SCoav-L.jpg

338882495_5sHU6-L.jpg

I did quickly push the highlights off the histogram in some shots to make the background even whiter. I was in a rush and didn't do it selectively so it probably blew some highlights on the product itself.

I had been experimenting for a while. Adding the second flash was pretty huge. The other major difference was the diffusion domes. Without them, there are harsh shadows. The domes basically turn the flashes into Lightspheres so the light sprays all around the box.

A third off-camera flash would probably help, but I don't have one yet.

My next steps is to try to get the front-lighting a bit more even and consistent.

But first I've got to empty the cooler by drinking more beer ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  2. interesting
    much better result than i would have expected
    love the setup shots, as well

thanks
    well done

3. LOL

4. Thanks for the setup. Looks like a great idea for the limited times I would need it.

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wow, that's brilliant! :biggrin:

6. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Nice. Might give it a shot. I have some small things to sell on ebay. Good luck with the beer. .:803:.