Coolpix 8400

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Pa, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Has anyone tried one of these? How about time delay on startup and between shots? Focusing speed and accuracy? Does it compare to a DSLR in these respects?

2. I have been watching this thread with interest. Hopefully someone has some experience with this camera as I am contemplating it as well.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    If I was going to get a CP Nikon I would get the 8800. Has VR and lots of capability. Ask Leigh.

THEY ARE SLOW ALL OF THE. :>)))

p&s

Don't even compare to SLR... Just fun cameras to cary around on a days outing you don't want to carry the big stuff. Great for candid and landscape. Good color and most of the new CP's will shoot raw. (i shoot the 5000 raw now and again)

I have a CP5000 older one. Good camera.

4. Thanks for your input Gale. I have a CP 5700 (progenitor or the 8800) and it was frustration with it which led to the D70 purchase. Guess I'll not be going back.

I was considering it for my wife, but I think she would just be frustrated too after shooting with the D70.

So a second D70 or D70s body will be the choice. :biggrin:

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I just saw this post....sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I have the CP8800 as Gale mentioned. In many ways, I love it. It has the VR she mentioned, as well as a very good macro mode. It is lightweight, very handy and it is 8MP....That being said, it is rather slow when I shoot RAW, which I do primarily. I will not sell or trade my CP8800 because I really enjoy it....but at some point, I would like to have a DSLR. If your wife is already accustomed to shooting w/a D70 and she is comfortable with it....I'd recommend going w/a DSLR for her....in the long run, I feel she'd be disappointed w/a P&S. It would be like a step backwards for her.

I hope this helps...if you don't mind, keep us posted on what your final decision is...it will help me out as I make the necessary steps in going towards the DSLR route myself.

6. My wife has used a CP 4300 for two years and loves its small size. She has gotten some very good pictures with it. However, during our recent trip to the Canadian Rockies she was shooting with the 4300 and I was using the D70. Every evening we downloaded the pictures and looked at them. She soon realized the superiority of the D70 and started picking it up every time we stopped the car to take pictures. She also likes to take pictures through the car window while we are traveling. Of course this is impossible with the 4300, but she got some suprisingly good shots with the D70.

Bottom line: I proposed a second D70 body (I have 4 lenses), and she agreed. I think I've struck a deal on one with a fellow Cafe member.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Add note for a P&S...

Just fun to have around. I carry the 5000 with me all the time with the 3x tele on it and the Wide angle 19mm just in case at work I get some great light, since office is at the river, or playing around at the office and sneeking up on a few souls. :))).

I just don't want to carry the biggy to work each day. Although I do miss some things.

some days you just don't feel like being real serious, or worrying about settings. Auto and just shoot :>))))

As leigh said they do macro great. Don't really need the biggy to do that.