1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

CoolPix S70 for pocket camera ???

Discussion in 'Point and Shoot Cameras - All Brands' started by azarby, Aug 8, 2009.

1. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    I currently have a D300 and D700 that I use for all of my picture taking. Recently with the addition of a new grandson (lots of photo opportunities), I have been toying with the idea of a getting a point and shoot to carry in my pocket for those times I don't want to pack around one of the big boys with an equally big lens (14-24; 24-70; 70-200). I was looking at the data on the new S70 and liked the idea of the OLED touch screen and operation similar to an Iphone. (I have an Iphone 3Gs).

I know there may be P&S cameras with better capabilities (my wife has a Canon P&S). What would the drawbacks be for going with the S70 compared to something else. Remember, I have the heavy iron for the vacation and other situations wher I can pull out the big guns.

Bob

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
  4. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    In the other thread, you said;

"You will find there is pretty much unanimous agreement among all the Nikon lovers here that Nikon make inferior P&S cameras that are to be avoided. Their best effort is the P6000 which has very poor high-ISO performance due to their marketing making them put too many pixels in it, hence the inferior sensor. It has a GPS. A great gadget but not for photography."

Is this first hand knowledge or just a expression of what has been gleemed from other threads. I'm looking for first hand personal experience.

Regrads,

Bob

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I suggest you do your research by reading more threads about P&S cameras. If after reading them you still want a Nikon then fair enough, but don't buy one because it says Nikon on it. Ther seems little connection between the P&S division and the rest of Nikon Camera division.

Did you notice that not a single person challenged my statement in the other thread? If I said the same thing about Nikon DSLRs (or flashes, or scanners) there would, rightly, be many disagreements.

My personal experience is that I had an earlier Panasonic, I now have the LX3.

I have also personally used the Nikon P6000 and the Canon G9, which has been replaced by the G10.

I love Nikon and am very loyal to them. I have had Nikon equipment for decades. I only use one non-Nikon lens. But brand loyalty is just stupid when the product range is flawed.

Look into the naming of the Nikon P&S cameras and what the first letter means, and you will see that the P&S division is totally dominated by marketing, with no interest in higher photographic quality at all. I would have bought the P6000 until I discovered what they had done. Instead of a decent, slightly larger sensor with a sensible number of pixels - about 10MP, they stuck in the latest lower quality high MP sensor and added a GPS. The P range should be for serious photographers.

Panasonic have worked this out. They make cameras with sensors like the P6000 has, as there is a good market for them. But they also make a camera with better lens, f/2, more limited zoom range, slightly larger sensor and less pixels. It costs a bit more and is far better for serious photographers. It has manual settings for everything if wanted. That is why I bought the LX3.

The Canon G9 and G10 have the advantage of a viewfinder, but they are larger and bulkier than I wanted.

Here is what the first letter means in the Nikon Coolpix range model number.
    S = Style
    L = Life
    P = Performance

In marketing terms:
    L, Life means cheap, good value
    S, Style means appearance matters most
    P, Performance, should mean photographic performance, instead means add functionality.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.