Coolscan question....weird issue.

I have a Nikon Coolscan V-ED....It has worked flawlessly until this evening.

I was scanning some old photos and came across a roll that it will not scan. It's a roll of TechPan that I did some weird development to...Can't remember but the negs are very, very contrasty. They look thick....if this makes sense.

Anyhow...Only this roll will not scan. I get the machine gun noise and the scanner stops and I have to pull the adapter out and manually remove the negs. I can scan any other negs without a problem....before and after this roll.

Anyone have this issue?

Check to see how dirty the rollers in the mechanism. In the manual it talks about this very issue with a procedure to clean them. Sounds to me like you've just gotten to the point they need a swabbing.

French Bay, on the shores of the Mighty Manukau Ha
SRWATTERS idea sounds good.
If no joy with cleaning, RTFM, of course.
Tech Pan is really thin film, even tho the density of your images are thick.
I wonder if the scanner has adjustments for the film grabber transport mechanism. The physical thiness could cause it to do the weird noises, as if its not biting the film.
Hmmmm.......:confused:

I once had a problem when I had a piece of the negative that hadn't developed correctly (those cheap reels...) and the scanner would spit that strip out because it was too thick or sticky or whatever the problem was. So yes, there is a chance that the scanner doesn't like your negative.
I would say try to get ahold of an FH-3 (strip film holder), that bypasses all the rollers and automatic feeder so it could solve your problem.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom