Coolscan question....weird issue.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by TechPan, Apr 11, 2007.

1. TechPan

TechPan

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have a Nikon Coolscan V-ED....It has worked flawlessly until this evening.

I was scanning some old photos and came across a roll that it will not scan. It's a roll of TechPan that I did some weird development to...Can't remember but the negs are very, very contrasty. They look thick....if this makes sense.

Anyhow...Only this roll will not scan. I get the machine gun noise and the scanner stops and I have to pull the adapter out and manually remove the negs. I can scan any other negs without a problem....before and after this roll.

Anyone have this issue?

2. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Check to see how dirty the rollers in the mechanism. In the manual it talks about this very issue with a procedure to clean them. Sounds to me like you've just gotten to the point they need a swabbing.

3. SRWATTERS idea sounds good.
    If no joy with cleaning, RTFM, of course.
    Tech Pan is really thin film, even tho the density of your images are thick.
    I wonder if the scanner has adjustments for the film grabber transport mechanism. The physical thiness could cause it to do the weird noises, as if its not biting the film.
    Hmmmm.......:confused:

4. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    I once had a problem when I had a piece of the negative that hadn't developed correctly (those cheap reels...) and the scanner would spit that strip out because it was too thick or sticky or whatever the problem was. So yes, there is a chance that the scanner doesn't like your negative.
    I would say try to get ahold of an FH-3 (strip film holder), that bypasses all the rollers and automatic feeder so it could solve your problem.