Critique Cooperative egret

Out on the boat today.
This little fellow basically walked out of the shadows into the light. Stood there preening for about a minute, then walked back into the shadow. I never saw him again.
It was like he wanted to be on stage. It was a beautiful sight.
This is one of those where I was thinking..."Please don't screw this up. Please don't screw this up...."
This is pretty much straight out of camera- I like the easy ones!!
I am still playing with the crop, but this prints very nicely.
gary

Orlando31121   36234_DxO acopy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Nice pose from your model.
Good catch and nice light with dramatic effects.
Well done Gary.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I was immediately impressed by the details under that out stretched wing! NICE! And he sure gave you a classic pose with a nice reflection! Can't get that shot without being out there a lot! 👍

Can't get that shot without being out there a lot!
You hit that nail on the head. I have been to this pond a couple of hundred times over the years. Sometimes it is good, sometimes I get nothing. But it is still a great spot to sit.
I have never seen a wingspread in the water here.
I was clicking away at an Anhinga nest with a couple of little ones, and this guy walks out into the bright sun. Spun the shutterspeed knob to cut exposure and shot. As I said, hoping I didn't screw anything up.
This lasted way less than a minute, looking at the camera time.
Reviewing these images on the back of the camera I was getting a lot of blinkies- looked overexposed. My heart sank.
Looking at the files on fast raw viewer I lucked out- they are perfect. Most have no overexposed pixels at all, one has a total of 5. Out of 50Million, I will take 5.
Light is harsher than I wish it was- but this one made my day better.
Thanks
gary

Thanks again.
I really do not go out looking for this type of image, but somehow this is still most of what I get.
I have several from this day.
Although Einstein's definition of insanity was to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome.
I am still trying to learn how to use backgrounds and color. I'll figure those things out sometime in the next 40 years.
gary

Great capture Gary. It is difficult to decide the crop though. I would suggest a square crop with the bird being close the left of the frame.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom