Copper Hill sensor cleaning question for D600

Can anyone recommend which of the Copper Hill items I should buy for the D600. This will be my first sensor cleaning purchase.

Some recommend using the cropped sensor swipe(14mm) for cleaning vs. the 18mm, as they could get to the corners better. Wonder what your thoughts are on this.

I do have a giottos rocket blaster already and an old pack of peck pads and Formula MC for cleaning lenses. Would you recommend QuikStrips or pec pads?

Would you recommend the SensorSweep, or would the basic kit be sufficient?

Any insight is much appreciated,

Mike

24mm is the full frame size but 18mm is recommended if you are new to it. I got the 18mm quickstrips along with optional loupe. I found the loupe handy since you can see stuff without having to shoot and check the image.

The first cleaning I did with a kit from the local store and took me 6 pads to get it right. The second I did with the Copperhill and with the loupe so I could check I did it with one quickstrip.

I tried the one that did it in one swipe on my D3S but I did not feel comfortable with it. Left a lot on the sensor. I now use the one that is slightly smaller and make two swipes. Very pleased with it.

Make sure you get a backlit loupe. Makes a world of difference.

I got the standard FX cleaning kit, took multiple passes before I got the sensor clean. It was a tight fit, but I think after doing it might perfer the smaller one and two pass.

I tried the one that did it in one swipe on my D3S but I did not feel comfortable with it. Left a lot on the sensor. I now use the one that is slightly smaller and make two swipes. Very pleased with it.

Make sure you get a backlit loupe. Makes a world of difference.

I got the standard FX cleaning kit, took multiple passes before I got the sensor clean. It was a tight fit, but I think after doing it might perfer the smaller one and two pass.

The website recommends the 18mm size swipe for the D600. Can you clarify which size you both bought, and which you feel works the best.

http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=48

Thank you

24mm is the full frame size but 18mm is recommended if you are new to it. I got the 18mm quickstrips along with optional loupe. I found the loupe handy since you can see stuff without having to shoot and check the image.

The first cleaning I did with a kit from the local store and took me 6 pads to get it right. The second I did with the Copperhill and with the loupe so I could check I did it with one quickstrip.

Thanks.

Mike;

I just finished cleaning my D600 for the first time(2400 shots). I used the Copper Hill kit that I bought for my D300 (14mm). The wand worked fine. It took two swipes and the sensor was clean.

Hey, thanks for all responses.

Would you believe it, I am going to try the the home-made route. I already have pec-pads. Bought some nice rubber spatulas(4 for $1.00:smile:) and trimmed them down to about 14mm. Just purchased a bottle of Eclipse(about$12 with shipping). So after reading much and watching how to videos....gonna have a go at it...fingers crossed.

Mike

Hey, thanks for all responses.

Would you believe it, I am going to try the the home-made route. I already have pec-pads. Bought some nice rubber spatulas(4 for $1.00:smile:) and trimmed them down to about 14mm. Just purchased a bottle of Eclipse(about$12 with shipping). So after reading much and watching how to videos....gonna have a go at it...fingers crossed.

Mike

Whew, it took me about six attempts before getting fairly decent results. I now have a small handful of very, very light spots. But nothing like the crater-like oil spots...they're all gone. If you view my F-22 sky image at 100% in the rear LCD screen of the camera, you cannot see any spots at all. Certainly has been a nervy experience.

Gonna trim down my spatula a bit to get it more like the Copper Hill swab, as it is a bit wide for decent viewing. If things don't go a little easier next time, I may just bite the dust and order the kit from Copper Hill:wink:

Mike

I'd buy the Copperhill kit right away. Are your images worth more than the cost of the kit (which is pretty darn inexpensive)? If so then it's a no-brainer. Compared to the cost of the camera and lenses, the cleaning kit is nothing.

Whew, it took me about six attempts before getting fairly decent results. I now have a small handful of very, very light spots. But nothing like the crater-like oil spots...they're all gone. If you view my F-22 sky image at 100% in the rear LCD screen of the camera, you cannot see any spots at all. Certainly has been a nervy experience.

Gonna trim down my spatula a bit to get it more like the Copper Hill swab, as it is a bit wide for decent viewing. If things don't go a little easier next time, I may just bite the dust and order the kit from Copper Hill:wink:

Mike

I'm using a spatula as well. But the other day I was flexing one of those "gift cards" that you pick up at the store's till and it seems like the perfect edge thickness and "give" for cleaning the sensor. Picked up a couple, and I'm going to experiment trimming them this weekend. If it works, a person could have dozens of these "pre-loaded" with swab tissues. If they need a handle to extend the reach I'm going to figure out a way to reuse the handle and just swap it to the next preloaded card.

Latest threads

Top Bottom