Copy of receipt needed for D3 warranty repair?

I'm thinking about purchasing an used D3.

One seller says he has the warranty paperwork, but is concerned about providing a receipt. The camera was purchased from B&H in December.

Will Nikon honor a warranty claim if I am the 2nd owner with the warranty paperwork, but without a copy of the receipt?

Update: I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct thread. I'll post this question in the D3 section as well.

According to the Nikon web site, you need a "copy of YOUR proof of purchase" if the product is under the terms of the original warranty....whatever that means. I'd shoot them and e-mail, and ask if the original warranty is transferable.

According to the Nikon web site, you need a "copy of YOUR proof of purchase" if the product is under the terms of the original warranty....whatever that means. I'd shoot them and e-mail, and ask if the original warranty is transferable.

Thanks.

People on the 2nd thread I created say Nikon will not honor the warranty claim without a copy of the receipt.

I'm fairly sure that Nikon warranties are not transferable. If you know that the D3 in question needs warranty work now, have the original owner have the work done as a condition of the sale to you.

August 21, 2008

Nikon WILL NOT honor any warranty on any product if it has been sold to another person by the original purchaser.

The way to get around this restriction is to have the original owner send the item into Nikon for repair, and then return it to the second owner after the repair is completed.

I personally think that Nikon is doing a bad dis-service to people who purchase Nikon products and later decide to sell an item or items and then they void the warranty if the new owner sends the item in for repair.

Unfortunately, that is the way that Nikon does things.

Good Luck, hopefully you won't need warranty service on your D3, since it is built very rugged, but if you do, then follow the suggestion in my second paragraph.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY

Latest threads

Top Bottom