Copy of receipt needed for D3 warranty repair?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Dawgneck, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    I'm thinking about purchasing an used D3.

One seller says he has the warranty paperwork, but is concerned about providing a receipt. The camera was purchased from B&H in December.

Will Nikon honor a warranty claim if I am the 2nd owner with the warranty paperwork, but without a copy of the receipt?

2. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Generally, they want a copy of the receipt(at least in Melville). I sent in a D2X once and forgot it. They were going to charge me until I scanned it and emailed a pdf.

3. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    no they won't.

4. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    Will Nilon honor a warranty claim on a D3 if I am the 2nd owner WITH a copy of the receipt?

5. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine

They have for me about 6 times. If you buy it, register online before sending it in so it is in your name.

6. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    Thanks, Jonathon and Cleoent.

I'll ask the owner if he can provide a copy of the receipt again. If he refuses, I can't take the chance.

Thanks again.

7. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    The receipt needs to be in your name. If the original buyer never registered the D3 with Nikon, you have a chance, maybe??

8. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    Wow.

I can't spend $3,800+ and worry about the warranty.

Perhaps I should buy the new D700.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    If I were spending that much, and the owner wouldn't give me a copy of the receipt he has in hand, I wouldn't buy from that person. There's no real confidential financial info on a receipt.

10. the receipt does not have to be in your name.. (gift)
    as long as you have a receipt.. they do not care...
    I've had a couple of lenses serviced by Nikon with no questions asked, since
    I provided a copy of the original receipt.. (under the original owners name)

11. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    The owner told me not to worry; he will provide a copy of the receipt.

The fact the receipt is in his name (always from B&H) and should be in my name (per Allen's statement) now worries me.

I don't want ANY problems if I ever need to send it in for warranty work.

I have a few more hours to think it over. The eBay listing ends in less than 3 hours.

BTW, how long is the warranty on the D3?

12. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    Thanks, Michael.

This makes sense and calms my nerves.

13. warrant is to the original owner only. you can to be able to convince them that you are the original owner. thats what the receipt is supposed to imply .... wink ...

14. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    I have dozens of B&H receipts. Along with other pieces of information, the last 4 digits of one credit card is at the bottom of the receipt.

Whenever I sell equipment I do not provide the buyer with the receipt from the retailer for a very good reason -- it does not belong to him. My receipt is a record of my financial transaction. I provide the buyer with a new invoice, as the seller should be doing for this buyer.

If the camera has not been registered, then you should immediately register it online. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the camera, this action alone may establish the beginning of ownership, depending on whom at Nikon is handling a repair, if and when it is required. Remember that most cameras do not require service during the warranty period.

Are you buying this camera through eBay? Beware. There are very few used D3's for sale and one of them is from a seller who actually has no recent feedback history.

15. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine

The only invoice Nikon will recognize should the new owner of the camera need repair, is a copy of the sales receipt from the original purchase, which often times will have the serial number on it. An invoice from anyone other than a Nikon dealer won't do the buyer much good. The last 4 digits of a cc number don't do a thief any good and can easily be covered.

The receipt is much more than a record of your financial transaction, it is necessary proof of ownership if it ever needs service.

16. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    This is probably as good as it gets. You do need an original receipt to show you (or the donor of the gift) are the original purchaser. However, it is not "foolproof" - there always is a risk, though this approach is unlikely to have a problem unless the original owner already registered it in his/her name.

You need to be sure it is a Nikon USA camera. Some legitimate Nikon dealers sell an occasional grey market and state so when they are doing it. I don't know if B&H does this. Check the serial number if there is time. - or ask to see the receipt.

17. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    I did not win the bid....

My experience with the seller, and the whole used D3 search via eBay, was rather cheesy.

I was the leading bidder on an used D3 located here in California. The seller's ad mentioned he purchased the camera from B&H in December, but it did not state if it was a US model or if a copy of the receipt would be provided.

When I inquired about the above, he seemed upset that I asked. He asked if I read his auction description, stated B&H doesn't sell grey market D3's and asked why I wanted a copy of the receipt since he is supplying the warranty paperwork.

IMHO, his response was a bit rude and rubbed me the wrong way. He later said he would provide a copy of the receipt, but after someone outbid me, I decided not to place a second bid.

I prefer the larger size and weight of the D3, but I don't want to spend the money for a new body. The hassle of tracking a good body at a price I can afford is getting to me.

The anxiety I experienced with this seller, and my attempt at purchasing a used D3 via eBay has left a bad taste in my mouth. To be frank, I'm now considering purchasing a new D700 just so I don't have to deal with what I typed above.

If I do end up with a used D3, I'm sure I'll find it on Craig's List, drive out and meet the seller then examine the camera before shelling out the cash.

Thanks for reading and your comments.

18. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    The seller might been justified, if you really did not read his listing.

When I sell something I don't get upset if a potential bidder asks me something they could have easily read in the listing, but their question bothers me because it means the buyer and seller are not communicating fully. This can lead to misunderstandings and disagreements, including after the buyer has the item. I have had buyers ignore everything imaginable and then act afterward as if an issue is negotiable -- shipping to a foreign country, return of an item for any reason, billing for merchandise or shipping to a third party account.

Don't let one weak experience with eBay ruin your day. Wait for another D3 that you like. If you dislike scams, you will hate Craig's List more than eBay. I have been an eBay member for over 10 years, and I wouldn't involve myself for one minute with Scam's List.

19. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I generally do not like ebay, though I just bought a "factory demo" D300 there. The last second bidding, while perfectly alright, leaves me with a bad taste - plus it is hard to know your seller. I have had better luck on forums like here, where a certain amount of trust can be built.

I am not urging you to get a D700 - that was your suggestion. But if you are interested, look at this thread: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=182809 Quite a price drop. By the way, some credit cards, such as some of the American Express cards, double the manufacturer's warranty (up to a certain period of time) and give you other protections in buying new merchandise - I think even an extended return period.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Dawgneck

Dawgneck

Apr 25, 2007
    So Cal
    This wasn't the case. The information I asked wasn't in his listing. I can't confirm or deny his claim regarding B&H not selling gray market D3s, but I have seen other gray market items on their site - they clearly noted them as gray-market. I think my questions were valid.

But I am not saying I will never use eBay again.... I will use it for clothing, etc., but not for expensive electronics.

I've heard about the last minute (sniper) bids, but I normally input my maximum bid upfront, so if someone outbids me, I'm ok since I wasn't going to bid higher. Funny, this time I only placed the minimum bid (knowing I would be outbid) and decided not to follow my normal routine until I heard from the seller....

EDIT: I just signed up for the the Live Search cashback service. This may turn into something good! Thanks for the tip, rgordin!

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I'll find the camera of my dreams soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017