Copyright laws

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by panama, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I sold a bunch of images to a client of mine on a CD.
    I printed a label for the CD and stated on the label that the images were ok to reproduce. I simply put in text that "client" has permission to make reprints. She went to a particlular place to make thank you cards and they wouldn't help her because they said the pictures were from a professional photographer. She pointed out the fact that the release was on the CD itself. They said that doesn't matter and they needed something in writting.
    Does anyone know the real laws on this. I released the copyrights by printing it on the CD with my name and number. What are the rules???:confused:

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Do the laws matter? As long as they're not breaking the law, the print shop can use their own set of rules of what kind of releases are needed to print, or not?

Might not be a good idea because customers will end up going elsewhere, but that's a different story.

3. Most labs in the U.S. ask for a written release - this is pretty standard nowadays.

Sean

4. My reprint CDs are labeled: Copyright released for personal, non commercial use only. All other uses are ©2008 The Picture Man, Inc.

-TPM

5. It's not a law regarding the release, it's their policy. When appropriate I have included a .pdf copy of a signed release and told the client to print it out before going to the printer. Never had a problem.

6. ugodrainville

ugodrainville

Mar 13, 2008
    Wisconsin
    disregard...i am a tard...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008