1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Copyright question

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Duschoolboy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I am trying something new this year and I needed some input from some of you veterans here. I am going to shoot some fall baseball and I was thinking of offering a cd with full resolution pics of the following (team photo, single photo, and 3 action shots) to each parent for a agreed price. If I give them the cd how can they print pictures off any where they want too? I have had 2 stores check me for verification of copyright on some of my photos that I choose to print out myself. I was wondering if I could include a copy of a release of copyright from me or something to that nature. Your help would be appreciated.

Mike

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Are you saying that the stores are checking the EXIF data, how do they know ?, or do you have the CD itself printed with copyright info ?

3. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I sent a picture via email to Walgreens to see what it looked like and my wife went to pick it up and they questioned her. They told her it looked professional and she said it shoul for as much as he paid for that camera!! We had to assure them that it was indeed my camera. Walmart will make you fill out a form.

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Never heard such nonsense in my life Mike...that's just madness.

I think Walmart should have just been checking that the person who picks up photos is the same person who sent them the photos - I can understand that - but - not the "professional" comment.

5. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Ya, I agree. Especially when I am FAR from a professional.

6. Many labs are doing this - sending them a CD and a signed letter granting print rights is probably an easy way to handle this.

Sean

7. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks Sean. Thats what I thought about doing. I thought about sending a signed release form of some kind, so that they would have proof.

8. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Hmm... I sort of wish they'd do that to me. I guess my pictures aren't quite professional enough. :tongue:

Seriously though... if they're questioning them, all you can do is give everyone a signed release form and have them bring it to the store. That should at least make the random person behind the counter feel like they checked. I'm sure they hate having the confrontation as much as you do, but since it's their job they have to ask.

9. Actually WalMart and Wolf Camera are very good at not copying or printing copyrighted work. Something I thank them for continually when they call.

On the CDs I sell, I include on the label:

Copyright released for non-commercial, personal reproduction only. All other reproductions and uses ©2008 The Picture Man, Inc. www.thepicturemanathens.com

Never had a lab call to ask or a customer complain about these CDs. Jinxed me now I bet. :biggrin:

10. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I think that is what I am going to do. Thanks for the input. BTW, I like when they are looking out after me when they call or ask, just didnt want to run into any snags when I start selling the cds to customers.

11. FWIW, Thom Hogan also provides a 'print release' form on his CD's to allow you to print a copy. I was asked for it at Staples.

The PicMan's solution looks like a workable one.

But don't forget to imbed a copyright statement/symbol in the picks when you injest them (in the ITPC information).

12. I have a Print Release form on Word, should anyone want it. You can fill it out and add it to the CD, they can print it off.

13. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

i would love to take a look at your print release charles ... can you e-mail me a copy ?

chris@TucsonSports.Biz

14. Topher, I sent via Yahoo mail

15. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Thanks !

16. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Charles, It would be great if you could email it to me also. I would appreciate it. And thanks to everyone for your input on this. I will let you know if I run into any problems with this.
    Mike

17. Mike, I need an email address.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.