Copyright violation - possible scam?

I just received this email the download link doesn't seem to work though I probably shouldn't have clicked on it.
I have no idea what they are talking about.
When I reply to the email it bounces back and says "address not found or unable to receive emails"

"My name is Renee.

Your website or a website that your company hosts is violating the copyrighted images owned by myself.

Take a look at this report with the hyperlinks to my images you used at www.springbokphotography.com and my previous publication to find the evidence of my copyrights.

Download it right now and check this out for yourself:

(link removed by cafe moderator)

In my opinion you've deliberately violated my rights under 17 USC Sec. 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damage as high as $120,000 as set-forth in Sec. 504 (c)(2) of the Digital millennium copyright act (DMCA) therein.

This letter is official notification. I seek the removal of the infringing materials referenced above. Please take note as a company, the DMCA demands you, to eliminate or disable access to the infringing materials upon receipt of this notice. If you don't stop the use of the aforementioned copyrighted content a legal action can be commenced against you.

I have a good faith belief that utilization of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not approved by the legal copyright proprietor, its legal agent, as well as law.

I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate and that I am currently the copyright proprietor or am permitted to act on behalf of the proprietor of an exclusive right that is allegedly violated.

Best regards,
Renee Rodriguez"

Last edited by a moderator:
I messaged a few with that name and just received a reply from one saying it didn't come from them.
This is the email message when I try to reply:
Your message wasn't delivered to Rodriguezhd317@yahoo.combecause the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive email.

Smells phishy to me - sorry 🙄

/firebasestorage.google Apis is used by Phishers, often intent on gaining access to your information. If it was me I would just ignore it.

I have no idea how you go about implementing a DMCA, but I imagine that an email alone will not suffice and in any case the images on your website are yours alone

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
Since you did click the link, I would do a thorough deep scan of you machine to ensure there is no infection present.

definitely a scam of some kind. I work in IT and for a state government agency. We get scam attack emails all the time. You get pretty good at seeing the signs. There are a few telltale signs.

misspellings, urgency in replies, requests to click links are all red flags.

Last edited:
Many members here followed along two-and-a-half years ago through all 18 pages of a thread as Richard and others helped me get rid of the ransomware that had attacked my computer. It took a long time (partly because I didn't know what I was doing and needed help at every turn) to return my computer to full health. You don't want to have to go through what I went through, so I reiterate Andrew's recommendation posted immediately above that you scan your computer for anything detrimental that might be on it thanks to the link you clicked.

Sure it is a scam but it seems clumsily put together.

Clicking on the link takes you to the Google Fibrebasestorage.googl**** page which in turn invokes your OS dialogue box which prompts you to either Open With or Save file. The file is in zip format and is named Stolen Images Evidence.zip. The file inside the zip is a Javascript file.

This is the one you should not click on as it probably contains PUA:Win32/InstallCore (Recognised by Windows Defender) which is an infection that at best distributes PUPs, but can open you to new threats.

Just clicking on the link and even downloading the .zip file should not allow an attack, but unzipping and double clicking the unzipped file is a definite no.

So if you have any doubts run a scan

Real Name
Andrew
Sure it is a scam but it seems clumsily put together.

Clicking on the link takes you to the Google Fibrebasestorage.googl**** page which in turn invokes your OS dialogue box which prompts you to either Open With or Save file. The file is in zip format and is named Stolen Images Evidence.zip. The file inside the zip is a Javascript file.

This is the one you should not click on as it probably contains PUA:Win32/InstallCore (Recognised by Windows Defender) which is an infection that at best distributes PUPs, but can open you to new threats.

Just clicking on the link and even downloading the .zip file should not allow an attack, but unzipping and double clicking the unzipped file is a definite no.

So if you have any doubts run a scan

True in this case, but you do not always know where you are going to end up. Unless you are properly insulated, it is generally a best practice to not click on any links sent to you via email unless you are expecting it. Even then, I go directly to the sites that send those to me. I get them from CapitalOne, PayPal - click link to see your transaction or what not. I skip that and log in with my phone app or from a different browser tab typing the site in myself.

You can never be too careful nowadays. these scams are getting more and more sophisticated.

My brother had a look at the link for me, he's in IT.
image.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As I said elsewhere, the DMCA is an Act of the USA, doesn't apply here, unless your website is hosted there.

There are other countries that recognize it (or their own version of it) and can (and will) take action. So a DMCA notice may have some traction.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Desmond - Next you may receive an email that says you have failed to pay a fine for parking illegally in New York. Hand over your details and money or you will be arrested.
Or you may be contacted by a son that you didn't know you had. If you don't help him he will come and visit you and start legal action.
Same applies, do nothing. There are hundreds of variations.

I'm not worried. I'm looking forward to that $17,500,00 that Nigerian prince promised me. And marrying his princess sister will seal the deal.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom