Coral Snake, Orlando Wetlands, FL

I didn't handle this one. Coral snakes are difficult to hold because they squirm and twist, and their heads are so small. Much safer and easier is a 4 to 5 foot Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake...small neck and big head...easy to hold on to. But seriously, I haven't handled a venomous snake since the 80's, when I got paid to do it. Since then, I view them from a safe distance as I believe everyone should.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What did you do that required you to handle poisonous snakes? Well, I guess in the 70's I handled brown bears, on a research project, and moving bears that were a hazard in campgrounds. But I used tranquilizer darts. I spent sone time with researchers working on pygmy rattlesnakes, and there are no tranquilizer darts for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What did you do that required you to handle poisonous snakes? Well, I guess in the 70's I handled brown bears, on a research project, and moving bears that were a hazard in campgrounds. But I used tranquilizer darts. I spent sone time with researchers working on pygmy rattlesnakes, and there are no tranquilizer darts for them.
For two years I took care of the snakes at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. That included handling lots of Eastern Diamondbacks. Fun job but college called.

For two years I took care of the snakes at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. That included handling lots of Eastern Diamondbacks. Fun job but college called.
As a youth, I sold snakes to a shop at Lenox in Atlanta Ga. There was another Herp guy not far from me. Older much experience and a nice collection in his mother's basement. I was hitching across north Atlanta when he rolled up in his ancient 2 cycle Volvo, I piled in and started feeling the snake bag on the seat. I ran my hand over it for a long time and asked what the heck have got there it is so long and slim. A black Mamba he said. I was shocked, and I never did get back over to see it.

Bobby, it has been a number of years, but I spent time in Florida and really enjoyed the St. Augustine Alligator Farm, mostly for bird photos.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom