Corel

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Yvette, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Has anyone used Corel Paint Shop Pro X1 and if you have, what is your impression of it? It seems most people use adobe and I have never seen any mention of Corel.
    Thanks.

2. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I received this program for Christmas. I like it. I don't really know how to use it very well, but I like what I have figured out how to use.

I don't use Photoshop, although I do have Elements. I guess I prefer to get it as close to right in camera, because sitting in front of the computer for hours doesn't do it for me.

I know it's a pretty powerful program, but I can't compare to CS2 because I have never used it.

3. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Stefani. It was recommended to me so I downloaded the trial version and was very impressed. I have Adobe Photoshop CS but I do find it difficult to use. This program seems to be very user friendly and easy to navigate around. I also try and get the pics as close to right in the camera but as I am still relatively new to all this digital photography I do often have to change some aspects. No one ever mentions Corel on the forum so I was interested to see if anyone had tried it.
    Thanks.

4. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    FWIW, I was a big fan of Paint Shop Pro for years and was a private beta tester for PSP version 8, when it was still owned by JASC. When it was acquired by Corel, the next couple of versions were not to my liking, so I switched to photoshop. I have PSP up to version X and haven't used it in a long time. Haven't tried version XI.

PSP is/was a very powerful program and I loved the ability to customize the UI. It was very difficult to use with RAW files though, which is an important feature to me. If you don't need or want it to convert RAW, I'd guess that version XI is a pretty nice package.

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Kerry. I appreciate your input. I have been using it for a coupe of days now and I must say, I am really enjoying it. I very rarely shoot in RAW and if I do I still have photoshop CS that I can use. I am just using the trial version so I am sure there are a lot of features that are not available to me. But from what I am used I am impressed. I will probably end up buying the program. It is really, very easy to use.

6. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Dunno for sure, but the demo should not be limited in any way. None of the versions I had were, other than for a time period.

You can make life real easy for yourself, by changing the interface to suit your needs. For example, you can have one workspace devoted solely to photo editing, with your most commonly used tools on one simple menu. You can create a button to do a certain task or load a specific tool. Delete all the stuff you don't use and then save the workspace with a unique name. Then you can have another workspace devoted to scrapbooking, graphic arts, whatever, with simple menus devoted to them as well. Once you create the workspaces and save them, it's a simple matter of loading the one you want to use and you can change them at will.

This is one area that they beat Adobe to death on. CS2 would be a much better program if you didn't have to go menu diving all the time for routine, simple tasks. Too bad that none of the photoshop beta users had ever used PSP and learned how powerful that feature is for a user..... :frown:

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I'm sorry, Yvette. I don't do impressions. My training is medical laboratory science. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I did not care for PSP
    I switched back to PS

9. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas

Actually, are you sure your training wasn't as a comedian?? If not, I think you missed your calling Joshua. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    That is a great feature which I did not know about. Thanks for letting me know. I wonder why CS2 does not have it? I would think that would be very useful.

11. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Did you have the latest version Gale? I believe it is a big improvement on the last version.

12. 21st Hermit

21st Hermit Guest

I'm a big fan of Corel software, primarily CorelDraw. The main reason is that its icon driven, not menu driven, so much faster. The icon menus can be customized so that only the tools you use are visible.

I was "forced" to use CS2 over PhotoPaint by the .psb file format which allows 300K pixels per side and I haven't gone back.

Good Luck
    Hermit

13. Hi Yvette,
    I have PSP XI And PS CS2 and I find myself using paint shop more than CS2 for quick adjustments etc. If I need to do more detailed work I'll use CS2. for the money, PSP XI is a great tool and very user friendly and works great with my RAW files. Just download a trial version and check it out, it will be a full version with every thing included. I hope this helps, heck with what you save you could by another lens.:biggrin: If you need anything answered just let me know.

14. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Hermit. I have always been a fan of CorelDraw but have tried my hand at PS CS. I still find myself going back to CorelDraw. I have not tried CS2 yet and am not sure that I really have a need for it. I am enjoying this program very much.

15. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Raul. I am actually amazed at the low price of the program. I don't do a whole lot of post processing so I find the program perfect for what I need. And just like you, I have Photoshop if I need to do anything more detailed. I appreciate your offer for any help. I will certainly keep that in mind. I will have to use the argument of saving money to get another lens when I ask my hubbie for the macro lens I have had my eye on for so long :biggrin:

16. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    I used, and prefered, PSP 7 & 8 but after switching to Mac, I had to give PSP up.

I found PSP to be above Elements but not as bloated as PS. I settled on Elements since I took photographs and was not interested in a tool designed for graphic artists(PS).

17. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I use CorelDraw! since v.2. IMHO it is one of the easiest vector drawing software packages, with high efficiency, especially compared to Adobe Illustrator. The only problem I have with Corel products is colour management workflow. While you stay with sRGB it is more or less consistent, but colour conversions are not clearly defined and way too often render unpredictable results. That is why I do not use their bitmap editors at all.

18. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Dayo. I appreciate everyone's opinions on this program.

19. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Iliah. It is nice to know that there are some folk out there using Corel. I thought I was the only one. I just keep going back to it.