1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cornwall, England pictures (Heligan & Eden Project botanical gardens)(18 photos)

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by jrwallace, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jrwallace

jrwallace

May 19, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Hello

(First go at posting pictures here, hopefully works OK.)

A couple of weeks ago we had a week's holiday near St Austell in Cornwall (England). Here are the places we visited and some pics.

Lost Gardens of Heligan (Map)

These gardens to a country estate were developed from 1766 to 1914. During the First World War they fell into disrepair as the house was used as a hospital, trees cut for the war effort, thereafter the house was rented out and turned into flats. The extensive gardens were "lost". In 1990 they were discovered by Tim Smith and restoration started, with the first phase being complete in 1997. Since then further sections have been restored.

The lower section of the gardens is a tropical forest, "The Jungle":

p357058830-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 390297

[​IMG]

The upper section of the gardens are in several sections, including areas where plants are grown, including:

"The Mellon Yard":
    View attachment 390298

"The Flower Garden":
    [​IMG]

Bee Hives
    View attachment 390299

and a vegetable garden
    View attachment 390300

[​IMG]

You'll have gathered by the lousy descriptions I'm not a gardener nor a botanist but this was a very pleasant place to visit: a nice cream tea (a cup of tea plus a scone with jam and clotted cream) halfway through walking around the gardens made it more enjoyable.

The Eden Project (Map)

Driven by the creator of the Heligan garden, the Eden project was created in a former china clay pit near St Austell. A good description of what it is about comes from the guide book:

"Built in an old clay pit...showing that degraded environments can be fixed.
    Colonised with plants...showing we're all part of nature, not apart from it.
    A symbol of hope...showing what can be achieved when people work together.
    Exploring how to sustain the environment that sustains all of us...
    to survive and thrive!"

The project was conceived in the early 1990s, planning commenced in 1994, construction in 1998 and it opened in 2001. The clay pit was 60m deep, with no soil, 15m below the water table and the size of 35 football pitches.

The project is split into three "biomes", the outdoor biome, the rainforest biome and the mediterranean biome. Throughout the project there were sculptures and exhibits with an ecological and sustainability message.

Overview of the project:
    p748482717-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Outdoor biome:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View attachment 390301

Rainforest biome:
    View attachment 390302

[​IMG]

View attachment 390303

Mediterranean Biome
    View attachment 390304

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a really good day out, and everything there was really well done, not at all cheesey and they are trying to get across a serious ecological message and promoting initiatives like fairtrade fruit. Unfortunately, the eco message somewhat diluted by the traffic jam getting there! We went on a rainy day and every tourist in Cornwall must have been there. So there was a lot of queuing but if you are visiting Cornwall then it is a must see, I'd say.

Anyway, that's enough for now. If you've liked the pics above and are interested in seeing more please look at my Cornwall 2009 gallery

If you're interested, I'll make another post later with some of the other places we visited. I hope you've enjoyed this and feel free to make comments either here on in the guestbook in my gallery.

Cheers

Jon

2. Nicely done Jon, I think I recall seeing that on a Travel Channel show, with Samantha Brown. Is there a zip line on the property?

3. Very nice Travelogue, Jon - just the sort of thing the "Wanderlust " forum was created for. Thanks for posting.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi. Lovely photographs, I went to Eden a couple of years back and it makes for a really great day out. Some of my relatives have been to Heligan but I'm yet to visit myself.

By the way, I notice you're new around here. Welcome! It's good to have another UK member.

5. jrwallace

jrwallace

May 19, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Thank you for the kind comments.

Aqualung - by "zip line" do you mean an aerial ropeway? If so then no then I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  6. I recently visited the Eden Project. I thought it was awesome, but the humidity of the rain forest immediately fogged up the lens on my 24-70. I snapped a few in the Mediterranean biome though.

What a neat place!

7. jrwallace

jrwallace

May 19, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Yeah, that's what happened to me too! After the outdoor biome we went into the rainforest biome and both my lenses fogged up straight way. I ended up going back into the rainforest biome and rushing around to take some pics after we'd been in the Mediterranean one and it was alright. I guess the gradual adjustment in temperature avoided the condensation.

The Mediterranean biome I thought was nowhere near as impressive as the rainforest one though being less humid was a lot less tiring to walk around.

Cheers

Jon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.