Corrected - Juvie Red Shouldered Hawk

Note: I blew the ID on this bird. I thought it was a Coopers. It's a Juvie Red Shouldered...

The lighting was terrible, the wind was gusting, the hawk was soaking wet but you know what? I didn't care! The thing landed right across the street from the house and I loaded up the bazooka and went after it. Had to shoot these at 500 ISO so they are not as clear as I would have liked. Let me know what you think...

He kept spreading his wings and I figure that was to dry them off. It had rained fairly well here this morning and as you can see from the shots, his head is soaked!

D2H, 500 f/5 P, TC-16a

My very own personal spotter - Linda - saw it land in my neighbors yard. This was the only shot I got with light on his chest...
133119859-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After he got a look at me he flew to another neighbor's house. The tree he perched in had a squirrel in it but he didn't see it. The moment he finally took off, the squirrel rand down the tree and under my car! These were just before he took off...

133119810-L.jpg

133119950-L-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cgaengineer

Really nice Jim...catching them in the rain is the best time to get close to them.

Nice shot Jim! #3 looks like he is trying to dry out! Keep that bazooka handy.
I got it ready for Middle Creek next week! We found some Tundra Swans at Muddy Run today and I got some flight shots. The AF assist is a picture saver for sure!

Really nice Jim...catching them in the rain is the best time to get close to them.
Thanks Chris!

Nice captures --especially #3!

PaulC
Thanks Paul. I like that one the best myself.

very sharp and nice Jim!
Thanks Dave.

Hi Jim, I just had to let you know now that somhow you found your cooper was not a cooper and that last night I went nuts looking through all my books at the cooper and every plate I could find told me this can't be a cooper but knowing how well you are with the birds I didn't want to say anything but now I can let you know that I am sure it is a red shoulder. I might also add it is a very fine looking red shoulder as I have a special spot for these guy's as they are my favorite hawk. I would have commented last night but in my heart knowing this was a red shoulder I did not want to offend you.
Hope you understand and again a very fins group of photos on this bird.
Lou

LOL! You could never offend me Lou! (Well, maybe you could - I've seen you and Irv in action! But not by correcting such an obvious error...) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the nice comments. BTW, I even got e-mails from people telling me that it was not a coopers...

Hi Jim, I just had to let you know now that somhow you found your cooper was not a cooper and that last night I went nuts looking through all my books at the cooper and every plate I could find told me this can't be a cooper but knowing how well you are with the birds I didn't want to say anything but now I can let you know that I am sure it is a red shoulder. I might also add it is a very fine looking red shoulder as I have a special spot for these guy's as they are my favorite hawk. I would have commented last night but in my heart knowing this was a red shoulder I did not want to offend you.
Hope you understand and again a very fins group of photos on this bird.
Lou

PS Jim I am adding this PS as I think this is a subadult bird and guessing in it's second year as it has the right plumage for it.
Lou

Jim
I guess birdies and wildlife need a bath sometimes, whatcha think:>))
Now next time you see him ,ook how pretty he will be.
Bet it feels better to ...After he dries....

Latest threads

Top Bottom